Mt Gingera - Winter Walk

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Gingera - Winter Walk

Postby Leo Nerdo » Wed 27 Apr, 2011 9:16 pm

Howdy, howdy.

Last year a mate and I headed up from corin dam to pryors hut via the stockyard spur, where we were lucky enough to come across a fair bit of snow. The plan was to get to the top of Mt Gingera but we weren't prepared for the conditions and headed back after warming up at pryors hut. After lunch we vowed to return this year and make the top of the mountain, plus I picked up some snow shoes I want to try out. The plan is to make it into a two day trip, possibly camping overnight. Does anyone know where around Mt Gingera one can camp?
Leo Nerdo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Mt Gingera - Winter Walk

Postby sef » Sun 01 May, 2011 11:32 pm

You're optimistic about the snow coverage this year ;)

I believe technically the ACT side requires a permit as it's in the Cotter catchment. No such restriction in NSW.

Off-hand, if you wanted to get further than Pryors -- the footpad up Gingera initially follows a small creek up to a small clearing on a shoulder. Water, below treeline, fairly flat. If you were to carry water or melt snow, you could probably find a spot up on the summit ridge back towards Pryors. A lot of scrub & rocks there to hide behind.
sef
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to New South Wales & ACT