Evans LO to Blue Gum Forest

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Evans LO to Blue Gum Forest

Postby davidmorr » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 1:47 am

I was planning a trip in a week starting from Govett's Leap, going to Evans Lookout, Grand Canyon, Rodriguez Pass and on to the Blue Gum Forest. I do not know this area very well, and have only just found out that the track from the Grand Canyon to Junction Rock is closed.

Is it really impassable, or can we climb over the obstruction?

Alternatively, the map shows a track from Evans Lookout that joins Rodriguez Pass not far from Junction Rock. Is this the Horse Track?

Is it also blocked? If not, is it reasonably easy to find your way down it? Is it signposted at the top?

Thanks
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Evans LO to Blue Gum Forest

Postby wildwalks » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 7:22 am

The pass is closed due to a landslide. I think it would be unwise to climb over the obstruction, NPWS do close things for our safety and also to protect the area from further damage. I also believe they have started work in repairing the area as well.

These notes/maps may help with finding your way down the "Horse Track".
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/blue-mountains-blackheath-/evans-lookout-horse-track-to-beauchamp-falls.html

here are some other options that might be of interest
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/blue-mountains-blackheath-/lockeys-pylon-to-blackheath-station.html
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/blue-mountains-blackheath-/perry-s-lookdown-to-blackheath-station.html
http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/blue-mountains-blackheath-/victoria-falls-and-grose-valley-to-blackheath-station.html

These notes are similar to your original plan, so also effect by the closure, but still maybe of help
http://ozultimate.com/bushwalking/walk.php?nid=224

Enjoy the walk
Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby davidmorr » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks Matt. Very useful information.

So it looks like we could still do the Grand Canyon, but would have to go back to Evans Lookout at the end to get onto the Horse Track. Good!

PS I was amused by the description of the side trip to the Horse Saddle Lookout. It's obviously only a few steps, but the description says to climb a hill, the climb is 0m and the descent is 3m. :-)

PPS In the web pages maps, there are no contours or cliff-shading. I download the PDF, and they are in the map. Is this what is supposed to happen?
This post is copyright by davidmorr. Permission to reproduce elsewhere may be granted on application. Please PM me for details.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ninjapuppet » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

yeh i went that route years ago, just a short while before NPWS closed the path.
There is a section where it had been slipping really badly, and I wouldnt recommend going past that closed gate sign.
ninjapuppet
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New Zealand

Postby johnw » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 12:02 pm

David, I've used the Horse Track a number of times to get in and out of the valley, but not for at least 2 1/2 years.
IMHO it is the easiest route in/out compared with the other passes. I can't access Matt's wildwalks site at present but the notes and maps are usually pretty good. From memory only the PDFs show the contour lines.

Also Tom Brennan has some notes detailing access to the Horse Track from either direction:
http://ozultimate.com/bushwalking/walk.php?nid=791 (don't forget to turn left at the bottom instead of right :wink:). While NPWS don't advertise it or promote it's use, in my experience they don't have a problem with people using it.

Thinking about it, your original plan would have missed some of the best parts of the canyon walk. While it would be longer, an option might be to leave overnight packs in the car at Evans lookout, do the Grand Canyon circuit, then drop down into the valley with full packs. Take care with security at Evans LO. I've never had a problem but have heard reports occasionally. An alternative car park and start is at Neates Glen nearby.

If you want a better look at the detail try the online topo map site at http://lite.maps.nsw.gov.au/
It's a fairly good replica of the paper maps.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby DarrenM » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 3:15 pm

johnw wrote:Take care with security at Evans LO. I've never had a problem but have heard reports occasionally. An alternative car park and start is at Neates Glen nearby.

I had all the locks punched on my car at Neates Glen a few years ago. I have parked there since and been OK.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwalks » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 5:15 pm

davidmorr wrote:PS I was amused by the description of the side trip to the Horse Saddle Lookout. It's obviously only a few steps, but the description says to climb a hill, the climb is 0m and the descent is 3m. :-)

Yeah, some of the stuff in the Blue Mountains I did over three years ago, I have learned a lot since since then. I think the notes are still ok, but I am keen to get through there and update with a better style and more detail.

davidmorr wrote:PPS In the web pages maps, there are no contours or cliff-shading. I download the PDF, and they are in the map. Is this what is supposed to happen?

On the webpage, just above the maps are a series of links that switch layers on and off. The only one turned off by default is contours. So you can easily switch it on. Defaulted it off, as on such a small map the contours where confusing/overwhelming to a lot of people.

wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby davidmorr » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 12:11 am

wildwalks wrote:On the webpage, just above the maps are a series of links that switch layers on and off. The only one turned off by default is contours. So you can easily switch it on. Defaulted it off, as on such a small map the contours where confusing/overwhelming to a lot of people.
But essential to some of us! Maybe you could make those links slightly different so they look like links. As it is, I didn't really look at them to read what they said.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wildwalks » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 5:12 pm

davidmorr wrote:Maybe you could make those links slightly different so they look like links.

Good idea.
I have made that change on all walks, see how it looks now.
BTW the contour layer only works on maps of a smaller area (I cant remember the area size exactly). But most walks the layer will work fine. Longer walks it will be blank. This is because at this stage I can't split out the contours so on large areas it would just be a mass of purple. But the contours should always appear on the PDF maps.
Thanks for the feedback, and ideas
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby Marwood » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 5:31 pm

It is better, but might be even better if you used "Show Contours" instead of "Contours", this would also match the logic of the other show-hide elements.

BTW, I would rather the contours were shown by default.
Come on lads, let's get home. The sky's beginning to bruise, night must fall, and we shall be forced to camp.
Marwood
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wildwalks » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 1:26 pm

Marwood wrote:It is better, but might be even better if you used "Show Contours" instead of "Contours", this would also match the logic of the other show-hide elements.

Very good point - fixed that up.

Marwood wrote:BTW, I would rather the contours were shown by default.

I hear you, I am looking at redesigning the way we show maps to give more flexibility and choice. Part of that may be something like user preferences or more likely changing the default view based on the length of the walk.
This is some time off, there are other issues somewhat more pressing, but I just keep reminding myself one feature and walk at a time. That is how I got this far, and how we will keep going.

Thanks again.

wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

Postby davidmorr » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 5:49 pm

wildwalks wrote:The pass is closed due to a landslide. I think it would be unwise to climb over the obstruction, NPWS do close things for our safety and also to protect the area from further damage. I also believe they have started work in repairing the area as well.
I got to talk to the workers yesterday afternoon. They had 4 more days work to finish the track, and then about a week to slash it as it has become very overgrown. They hope to have it all finished by the school holidays.

Interestingly, this should make the Horse Track acceptable to NPWS staff in the Blackheath office. They said that the reason they advise people not to use the Horse Track is because the section of the Rodriguez Pass Track at the bottom is overgrown. Once it is slashed, then presumably the Horse Track will be ok? :-)

The Grand Canyon, btw, was wonderful with all the rain lately. Waterfalls everywhere. Grose River was up quite a bit too - rather dangerously high at Pierce's Pass if you wanted to keep your feet dry.
Last edited by davidmorr on Fri 17 Jun, 2011 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 7:44 pm

Davidmorr, did you happen to get any pics of the river while it was up?
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidmorr » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 9:13 pm

These two are where the track comes down to the river. I have never been there before, but someone who has says it was only about four feet wide then, five years ago. Maybe the middle of the drought?
We could probably have got across with dry feet, but it would have involved longish jumps from one sloping and wet rock to another. And the water was running quite fast if we fell off.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply mate as I'm curious to see that section after a bit of rain. I was up there last Saturday through Sunday doing Vic Falls to Blue Gum etc, and despite some showers over the two days didn't observe much change in the river height. I figured your pics may have shown a fair bit more after the rain on Monday & Tuesday but not as much as I thought.
Difficult to cross no doubt but not quite enough to packraft by the looks of it. I might have to head further downstream for a bit more volume.

Appreciate the help and hope your walk was enjoyable.
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby davidmorr » Fri 17 Jun, 2011 11:26 pm

We were actually discussing the possibility of rafting it while we were there. Too many sets of rapids that would have to be walked over, and not many long stretches between them.
davidmorr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby DarrenM » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 12:39 pm

It looks very consistent compared to other rivers but from what I've heard there are quite a few strainers along the way. I suppose it's a matter of hitting it with just the right amount of water and taking care to scout what you can't see. Walking it first might be the go but looks good from a packrafting perspective.
The upper sections don't lend themselves to consistent rafting because the catchment starts around between Mt Vic and Bell so I'd imagine it would rise and fall quickly around the headwaters.

These guys hit it with a good amount of water (3m+) but from Faulconbridge Point area. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FAtWy2nzYY
DarrenM
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Packo » Tue 21 Jun, 2011 10:38 am

davidmorr wrote:I got to talk to the workers yesterday afternoon. They had 4 more days work to finish the track, and then about a week to slash it as it has become very overgrown. They hope to have it all finished by the school holidays.

Thanks very much for this information. I can't wait to do the Grand Canyon, Rodriguez Pass, Horse Track circuit again. One of my favorite day walks in the area. It has a bit of everything. I might wait until after the school holidays though. When things quieten down a bit. I did go down the horse track about a couple of months ago and came back up via Govett's Leap and I do agree the Horse Track is quite overgrown, but certainly not impassible.

Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT