Canines in KNP

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Canines in KNP

Postby Size 11 » Wed 22 Jun, 2011 4:13 am

Has anyone encountered wild dogs in KNP?
A week after Easter I went flyfishing with a few mates too Eucumbene river at Sawyers hill.
At night we could hear dogs not too far away, howling and gnarling. It was hard to tell how far away they were, as the sound travels for miles, especially on a quiet night.
I was talking to another flyfishing mate a few months back who said he saw 7 dog carcasses hanging from a tree on the Gungarlin river. (i will try to get the pic and post it)
Prior to this, my only experience was seeing a lone dog years ago when i was walking up a fire trail from Lake Jindabyne on the Kosciosko side of the lake. It was a mangey looking thing that looked like it had'nt eaten for a while. When i approached it, it would retreat, when i stopped, it would stop and resume it's stare. Hard to beleive this dog could pose a threat, but then again, in a pack it could be a different story.
Has anyone seen the dog tree? or been confronted by dogs up there? and are they a threat to walkers and hikers? The one I saw looked timid and would not let me anywhere near it.

Cheers Jez
Size 11
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Canines in KNP

Postby tele-whippet » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 9:43 am

Yep, we were woken by primeval howls last year whilst at Patons Hut.
The hut book has many descriptions of dog encounters.
Saw lots of dog scats around Snakey Plain FT too.
tele-whippet
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Re: Canines in KNP

Postby hikingoz » Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:18 am

Hi. I saw many tracks in the snow on dissapointment spur near Guthega two weeks ago. They led in every possible direction along the ridges and down gullies to huts (we saw them approximately every 200m for the entire trip.). It was a 2 night trip and both times a dog visited camp during the night.

I should add that another group from Canberra walked into a bunch of wild pigs coming from Mawson Hut back towards Schlink Hut, as well as also noting how many dog tracks there were.

P6120132.JPG
fresh dogs tracks at tin hut
P6120132.JPG (106.64 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Return to New South Wales & ACT