Bass Fishermans Track?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bass Fishermans Track?

Postby kanangra » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 9:02 am

I had heard that there was an old access track to the Grose for Bass fishermen in the Devils Wilderness. I went looking for it on the weekend out the end of Browns Ridge. At the end of the road I found a length of old rope leading down a small cliff. Could this be the start of the track? I descended the rope but it seemed to lead only to the top of another cliff this time without a rope? Time was against me so I didn't really have a chance to have a good look but does this track go? I couldn't see any markers. There was a cairn near the top cliff but that only seemed to lead to a lookout over Barton Hill.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Bass Fishermans Track?

Postby johnw » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 9:49 am

kanangra wrote:I had heard that there was an old access track to the Grose for Bass fishermen in the Devils Wilderness. I went looking for it on the weekend out the end of Browns Ridge. At the end of the road I found a length of old rope leading down a small cliff. Could this be the start of the track? I descended the rope but it seemed to lead only to the top of another cliff this time without a rope? Time was against me so I didn't really have a chance to have a good look but does this track go? I couldn't see any markers. There was a cairn near the top cliff but that only seemed to lead to a lookout over Barton Hill.

K.

Kanangra, I just read this after replying to your other post about Gellies Hand Tool line. I was on this same mission several years ago but had similar results. Might not be much help but one or two occasional acquaintances did go down there within the last 2 or 3 years and (from memory) said it was very steep but not overly difficult. Memory of the conversation is hazy but I thought I was told that there was a pad of sorts and it wasn't too hard to follow.
John W

In Nature's keeping they are safe, but through the agency of man destruction is making rapid progress - John Muir c1912
johnw
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Bass Fishermans Track?

Postby kanangra » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 11:19 am

Thanks John. I'll have to go out there again when I have more time. I have noticed a made camping area on the north bank of the Grose opposite Barton Hill so I reasoned there would be a track down to it somewhere. I couldn't see any track or markers but then I didn't have much time to check it out thoroughly.

K.
kanangra
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New South Wales & ACT