Best Day Walk in Blue Mountains?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Best Day Walk in Blue Mountains?

Postby sencibel » Sun 13 Nov, 2011 9:12 am

Hi,

Any recommendations on a good day walk in the Katoomba, Blackheath, Blue Mtns area? I am headed out there next Saturday (19/11) and would really appreciate your thoughts on the best walk to do? My experience level: I have done 6 x 5 day treks and my girlfriend has done 1 x 2 day trek. I am 32 and she is 26 and both fit.

We would need to finish up by about 2pm ish but we can be out there by dawn if needed.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am trying to get her in to bushwalking so really keen to show her the mountains.

Best,

Jay
sencibel
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Best Day Walk in Blue Mountains?

Postby flatfoot » Sun 13 Nov, 2011 10:32 am

You've got a few good options:
- The Grand Canyon. This is a good option if the weather is hot as you are sheltered in the Canyon for most of the walk. Park at Evans Lookout and do a circuit through the canyon. You walk back along the road from Neates Glenn to your car. I prefer to start from Evans Lookout since you can enjoy the views of the valley when you start the walk.

- National Pass at Wentworth falls. A good circuit is to walk the Overcliff Track from the Conservation Hut to the top of the National Pass at Wentworth Falls. You can then go down past the falls and follow National Pass over to the Valley of the waters. You then return up to the Conservation Hut where you can stop for coffee :) . I rougher option is to combine Wentworth Pass and National Pass in one walk. You may be lucky to spot a Water Dragon on this walk.

- Park at Evans Lookout and walk down the Horse Track or Rodriguez Pass to the floor of the Grose Valley. You can then return via Govett's Leap and the clifftop track back to Evans Lookout. The Horse Track is a rough track indistinct in places but a good way to experience some traditional walking. The walk out via Govett's leap offers some fantastic views.

- If you don't mind a rough more remote walk with some fantastic views, head out on the Mt Hay Road from Leura to the Pinnacles. There is a track out to Lockley's Pylon. The view from here over the meadows and eastwards down the Grose is one of the best views in the Mountains. From Lockley's Pylon it's a short walk down to Du Faurs head for more fantastic views (the track is a little indistinct in places). From here you reverse your tracks back to your car. (You won't have time for it, but on a future walk, you could head down into the Grose Valley to the Blue Gum Forest and exit via Perry's Lookdown. This extended walk is best attempted in the cooler months.)

- From Pierces Pass on the Bells Line of Road, walk down to the Grose River and Back. This is a bit out of the way but a fantastic walk. You can cool off by the river before plodding back up to the carpark. Look out for Red Triangle slugs! Make sure you also check out Rigby Hill (about 10-15mins walk from the Pierces Pass carpark).

These walks will avoid the worst of the crowds in the Blue Mountains, although the National Pass can get quite busy.

In these temperatures it's best to start bright and early. Aim for a start on or just before sunrise. The light can also be fantastic for photos. Also carry plenty of water. I usually carry at least 3 litres.

At this time of year it's also important that you pay careful attention to the weather. Don't walk if it's likely to be hot/windy and there hasn't been much rainfall. i.e. high fire danger.

Make sure you obtain the relevant 1:25000 topographic maps for the walks you intend to do. The Wildwalks site identifies the maps.
Flat-footed Mainlander
flatfoot
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby kjbeath » Mon 14 Nov, 2011 6:25 am

National Pass is my favourite. If starting from the train station include Darwins Walk. Can be extended by adding the Nature Trail and the Overcliff/Undercliff.
kjbeath
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Packo » Mon 14 Nov, 2011 7:42 am

One of my favorite walks in the area is Govetts leap, Junction Rock, Blue Gum Forest, Perrys Lookdown, Pulpit Rock then the Clifftop Walk back to the car. Its a full day 19km walk and you get a bit of everything. To get back by 2pm you would have to start at dawn.

I have some track notes, pics and info HERE :)
Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wildwalks » Mon 14 Nov, 2011 9:54 am

Ditto on the Grand Canyon and National Pass (well anything in Wentworth Falls area)
You can spend ages exploring the different pass as Wentworth Falls area, they views are great and the Valley of the Waters is very cool if there has been a bit of rain.
Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW

Postby Erica » Mon 14 Nov, 2011 12:58 pm

I did the Grand Canyon walk recently, it was awesome. Nice and easy to follow, and had lots of different vegetation types, good views and pretty pools.
We also went down to Victoria Falls, well worth the visit, but would be hot in the summer!!
Erica
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby sencibel » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 6:47 am

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I think I will start her off with an easier walk on the Conservation Hut, National Pass, Wentworth Pass Circuit. I think I will be back to do the walk you suggested Packo on my own - that sounds great.

Thanks again. Weather looks to be holding out for tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it. Jay
sencibel
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Packo » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 7:51 am

Sounds good Jay. I am sure you will both enjoy the National and Wentworth Pass walks. Just be prepared to be bumping into many many tourists... especially up on the higher sections. They tend to thin out the lower you go. Below the Slack Stairs you will find some piece and quite and yes the weather looks like its going to be great.
Have a nice day.
Packo
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New South Wales & ACT