Jagungal-Main Range routes

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Jagungal-Main Range routes

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 16 Nov, 2011 9:28 am

Advice is sought about routes in the Jagungal-Main Range area.

I have been steeply tangled in Jagungal scrub and do not wish to repeat the experience. There is a ridge from the east summit of Jagungal 257987, about 2020 metre, south and east into the headwaters of the Geehi River, finishing at the river junction 265962 at 1800 metre. Is this route clear of scrub?

The intention is to go from Gungartan to Granite Peaks. I recall some scrubby boulders on the Gungartan side, and have no recollection at all about the Dicky Cooper Bogong side. Like Jagungal, it is hoped to avoid scrub. Is this route clear of scrub?

At the first saddle south of Rawson Pass, 137633, the main track and Dead Horse Gap route split. The intention is to follow the high ground to South Rams Head, then south east to Dead Horse Gap. It is understood that there is a track from South Rams Head. Is this so?

Thanks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Jagungal-Main Range routes

Postby Craig D » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 6:20 am

When was the last time you were in the area? The 2003 fires cleaned out most of the scrub, there aren't many patches left. Your descent route from Jagungal will be fine.

Down from Gungartan can still be a little rough in places (the fires didn't burn the rocks), aim for Schlink Pass or the Hilton rather than attempting to bash down to Whites River. The ascent to Dicky Cooper from Schlink Pass is clear and good.

There is a track heading up from Dead Horse Gap towards South Ramshead, it starts petering out once it emerges from the treeline. Coming from the top down it can be hard to find, best chance is to pick it up at a small grassy flat roughly in the vicinity of 123581 (don't have my map with me so approximate reference only). The only current map that shows this track is Rooftop's Kosciuszko National Park Forest Activities Map, if you call into NPWS in Jindabyne they'll have a copy for you to have a look at.
Craig D
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 1:10 pm

Craig D
The last time I was in the Jagungal region was well before the 2003 fires. After so many years of trips and gradual change it will probably be a bit of a shock. I had forgotton about the fires in terms of tracks and routes.

I’ll aim for the pass, as the Hilton and Whites River are too low; I want to minimise descent and ascents. My motorised Zimmer frame has limited battery power.

Rooftop maps had not occurred to me; I will find one. My maps date to 1981 for the 1:50s and before that for the 1:100s. The maps are held together with sticky tape and prayer.

Thanks.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Thu 17 Nov, 2011 6:09 pm

Best route from Jagungal is via Toolong, Bull Peaks and the Brassies. It's the way I'll be going, anyway. Probably.

I assume you're heading up to Gungartan via Kerries? And to Mawsons via Tarn Bluff and Cup & Saucer? Only scrubby bit is if you attempt a direct descent from Cup & Saucer. It's lovely, easy walking otherwise.

I haven't been on the old track up from DHG for a few years, but even last time I did it it got hard to pick up near the summit of South Ramshead, regardless of direction. Still, as long as you avoid the almost sheer drop on the side of South Ramshead, it's not difficult terrain.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 7:26 am

The intention is to go SE from the Geehi junction to the high ground on the Cesjacks Road and then follow the road, trail or route until it peters out, then south and east to Mawsons, keeping on the high ground as much as possible. From Mawsons go south to Gungartan. The Kerries are pretty easy unless there is bad weather, and more so for the Rolling Ground. From Consett Stephens Pass should not be hard to navigate, but is increasingly exposed with limited sheltered camping and reliable accessible water.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Mark F » Fri 18 Nov, 2011 4:05 pm

There is a good path down through the snowgums from below Rams Head on the Eastern side of Bogong Creek. It is the track used by tourists who go up the chairlift from Thredbo. It turns off the Koscuiszko summit track and comes out on the Alpine Way (500m ENE of DHG) at the carpark for walks on the Cascade Trail. I am sure there used to be a track from the DHG up to S Rams Head (W side of Bogong Creek) but I expect fires and lack of use have caused it to disappear.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 Nov, 2011 7:48 pm

Lophophaps wrote: From Consett Stephens Pass should not be hard to navigate, but is increasingly exposed with limited sheltered camping and reliable accessible water.

There's a lovely spot just big enough for one tent near the summit rocks of Mann Bluff - water from the gully below the track. And there are a number of good tent sites along Pound Creek if you don't mind dropping down off the ridge. Twynam Saddle's a nice spot too, if a little open.
There is a set of footpads of varying obviousness from Consett Stephens to Tate. They get a bit fainter between Tate and Mann Bluff at first, and you have to make sure you don't peel off down Tate East Ridge, but then the pad tends to turn into a track. Once past Anderson you're on the (very) old vehicle track, so nav's a lot easier.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 7:25 am

Current maps and track notes have been perused. The only place where there may be difficulty is getting off Rams Head to Dead Horse Gap. One kilometre north east of South Rams Head is a 2040 metre bump, and north east of this is a saddle, 117589. One map shows a route from this saddle heading downhill to cross the creek at about 1850 metre, 122584. From here the route goes south to cross the creek at 1780 metre, and then past the bump to DHG.

Another map has a route from the 2040 bump approximately south east to DHG, intersecting the first route near the 1780 knoll at 123578.

Can someone please advise which of the above is correct, or a better route?

It appears the route may well be less defined above the bushline, and relatively easy to follow below it. If so then finding the start of the first route should not be too hard as it is in a gully of sorts, and across from the creek. The only problem is if the weather bombs out on that penultimate day, as the Rams Heads are quite exposed.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Mark F » Wed 23 Nov, 2011 8:05 am

It is often worth having a close look at the area in Google Earth or Maps. You can often pick up old roads and paths as well as getting a general idea of the vegetative and cliff issues.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby rcaffin » Sun 27 Nov, 2011 6:56 pm

Lophophaps wrote:At the first saddle south of Rawson Pass, 137633, the main track and Dead Horse Gap route split. The intention is to follow the high ground to South Rams Head, then south east to Dead Horse Gap. It is understood that there is a track from South Rams Head. Is this so?

It may be worth remembering that as you head up the boardwalk from Eagles Nest (or whatever that shed is at the head of the quad) towards Kosci, there is actually a signpost pointing to Dead Horse Gap. There's a tourist track all the way. If you head southish (within 45 degrees of south maybe) coming off the Ramsheads, you WILL hit this track. May also see day walkers trotting along it.

Cheers
rcaffin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 06 Dec, 2011 6:06 pm

Yes, but I thought he was after the old pad that runs down to the Gap proper, not the tourist track to the carpark.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 10:03 am

The Hell Hole Creek Fire Trail goes from the Round Mountain Fire Trail to Tongue Bend. In the higher reaches this was a bit hard to follow through clearings. It is unclear how the fires have affected the track. Is the track still navigable?

The usual route from Hell Hole Creek Fire Trail to Pretty Plain Hut was on the west side of the creek. Is this still the case, and is it still rather boggy and wet?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Mon 12 Dec, 2011 7:01 pm

It was plenty boggy and wet when I did it last summer, plus plenty rough because a big wild pig was in there rooting it up. There's a rough pad further up the hillside, but it's not easy to follow and adds all those horrible ups and downs.

I couldn't answer about Tongue Bend, because I don't know where it is. Hell Hole Fire Trail down to the Tooma River was clear and easy to follow last summer. Only issue was the occasional treefall, which can happen any time.
If you're thinking of going from Pretty Plain Hut up over the Broadway Tops and then to the Grey Mare Range, you will run into some scrub issues, however. The old Stromlo Fire Trail is being allowed to degenerate into non-existence. Apart from bands of Prostanthera and similar shrubs, the stretch on the high ridge above Back Flat Creek is OK, albeit easier to follow from beside the track rather than on it, but the climb up to the heights near Grey Mare Bogong is far worse, and the straight drop down through the forest towards the junction with the Dargalls FT is very much not nice.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 10 Jan, 2012 8:14 am

From the head of the Pretty Plain valley in Kosciuszko National Park the first 4-600 metre of the Strumbo FT east are moderate to unpleasant, slow and tiring scrub. This badly needs a track cut through the regrowth, or at least marked. The rest to the 1600 metre plateau is much easier. The track is hard to follow at this plateau. From 173934 the track is easy to follow until the east side of the 1800 metre plateau.

At Strumbo Hill going east the scrub started out friendly, but the last 500 metre or so was shoulder-high and pushy, very tiring. This is another section where a track or route should be marked. Or would it be better to head into Straight Creek at about 1650 metre on the Grey Mare FT and then go east up the creek? I can’t recall if this was clear.

At Schlink Pass I went straight up. I should have tended more to the left, south west, then north to the 1900 metre plateau.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to New South Wales & ACT