Favourite overnight walks in Canberra region?

NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
NSW & ACT specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Favourite overnight walks in Canberra region?

Postby Singe » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 1:16 pm

...or, where should I go walking in the rain this weekend? ;)

I've found it a bit tricky finding information on walks in the area, compared to Tassie. Probably looking in the wrong places I guess.

AFAICT access to the Brindies basically requires a 4WD for access... which my Barina definitely ain't.
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Re: Favourite overnight walks in Canberra region?

Postby Tony » Fri 25 Nov, 2011 2:00 pm

Singe wrote:...or, where should I go walking in the rain this weekend? ;)

I've found it a bit tricky finding information on walks in the area, compared to Tassie. Probably looking in the wrong places I guess.

AFAICT access to the Brindies basically requires a 4WD for access... which my Barina definitely ain't.

Hi Singe,

There are many places in the ACT to do overnight walks, a good place to start is John Evans Blog, if he has not been there it is not accessible, most of his walks are day walks but many are very hard long walks that can be done as overnighters.

A good place to start is the Yankee Hat car park or the Mt Clear car park, both are accessible by 2wd. You can also access the Brindies via Corin Dam up the Stockyard Spur.

Tony
There is no such thing as bad weather.....only bad clothing. Norwegian Proverb
Tony
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Favourite overnight walks in Canberra region?

Postby Singe » Tue 29 Nov, 2011 4:26 pm

What a great resource! Thanks Tony (and John) :)

Ended up doing a short overnighter to Mt Tennent, camped at the saddle and walked out via Bushfold Flats and the AAWT. I reckon I might just plan some longer walks on the AAWT...
“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it is not the same river and he is not the same man.” -Heraclitus
Singe
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to New South Wales & ACT