Top 10 Overnight/Multi-Day Walks in Victoria

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Top 10 Overnight/Multi-Day Walks in Victoria

Postby Explorer_Sam » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 4:24 pm

I think it would be interesting to devise with the bushwalking community a list of the top 10 overnight/multi-day walks in Victoria. Nominate any walks you think are worthy of a place in the top ten. Once we have 20-30, we can all vote for our top ten. The walks with the most votes are the top 10 overnight/multi-day walks in Victoria.

I will start by nominating:

Major Mitchell Plateau.
Beeripmo Walk (Mount Cole).
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Top 10 Overnight/Multi-Day Walks in Victoria

Postby ErichFromm » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 4:29 pm

Nice idea Explorer_Sam. Perhaps you could do the overnight and multi-day ones separately?

For overnight I'll say Mt Feathertop.
Multi-day would have to be out Howqua River way - perhaps Macallister Springs to Mt Speculation and the Viking, Howqua River and then back up via Zeka track?
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MountainQuoll » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 5:11 pm

I'll nominate some really obvious ones, just to get them out of the way:
1. Lake Tali Karng via MacFarlane's Saddle and the Valley of Destruction.
2. Wilson's Promontory's classic Telegraph Saddle > Sealers' Cove > Refuge Cove > Waterloo Bay circuit.
3. the Great Ocean Walk. I know it's sort of a "manufactured" walk designed to drive tourism, but it's still pretty good.

For me, the really good but non-obvious one is:
4. circuit of the northern wilderness area of Wilson's Promontory, Five Mile Beach car park > Johnny Souey Cove > Tin Mine Cove > Chinaman's Swamp > return.
MountainQuoll
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby north-north-west » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Anything involving Howitt/Crosscut/Speculation. The MacDonald/Clear/KingBilly/Lovick/Bluff circuit. The Bogong circuit. The Wonnongatta circuit would probably be up there too, although I never did get around to that.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby icefest » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 5:44 pm

The coast section of the GSWW; often forgotten but remote solitude abounds.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mutley » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 8:58 pm

The Wilderness Coast Walk, from Malacoota to Merrica River would have to be right up there, although technically it is half Vic and half NSW. Maybe also add the precursor to this walk, which is the section from Cape Conran to Malacoota. I often wonder why there aren't more documented walks in Victoria. We have some amazing topology and scenery but few "official" walks, like the GOW, or the OLT. I know many of us would prefer it this way, and invent our own multi day walks on our own, but for people new to bushwalking, it's a great help to do a multi day walk that is well signposted, well covered by guide books and is a predictable skill level. I'm sure there could be some brilliant multi day walks through the dandenong ranges and into the Yarra Valley. It just needs an enterprising body to design and plan, and publicise. Have a look at the success of the OLT, the Larapinta Trail and the GOW.
Mutley
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:40 pm

If the whole thing was on designated walking tracks and not 4WD tracks, I'd say the overnight walks in Murray-Sunset and Wyperfeld. It's not very mountainous, to say the least, but in spring, it's just too beautiful to pass on. Having walked many day walk sections of the Wilderness Coat Walk, I can safely say it's a must too, Croajingolong/Cape Conran is simply the best coastline in VIC.

The main problem VIC faces is the lack of walking tracks though. I'm sure an overnighter in Chiltern-Mt Pilot would be great, or one in Mt Buffalo would be amazing. Sure, you can already try one by doing your own itinerary, but a specially tailored overnighter would be nice.

As it's already the case in almost all previous replies, I'm pretty sure the GOW won't be up there. I don't think it's the touristy thing, I just think it's not remote enough, and not beautiful enough. Areas West of Portland, at the Prom or between Marlo and Mallacoota are simply better, that's all. The GOW area suffers from having the 12 apostles area being closed to overnighters, and without any proper walk : it's the most stunning place there, and it's just a photo op.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby walkon » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:44 pm

Mutley wrote:. I know many of us would prefer it this way, and invent our own multi day walks on our own, but for people new to bushwalking, it's a great help to do a multi day walk that is well signposted, well covered by guide books and is a predictable skill level. I'm sure there could be some brilliant multi day walks through the dandenong ranges and into the Yarra Valley. It just needs an enterprising body to design and plan, and publicise. Have a look at the success of the OLT, the Larapinta Trail and the GOW.

Chapman has books out that are quite good.
north-north-west wrote:Anything involving Howitt/Crosscut/Speculation. The MacDonald/Clear/KingBilly/Lovick/Bluff circuit. The Bogong circuit. The Wonnongatta circuit would probably be up there too, although I never did get around to that.

+1 I like your style nnw they are great great hikes, add tali from mcfarlane, nth and sth prom walks, crystal creek mt bufffalo circuit. Definitely wouldn't have feathertop as the last three times I've tried to do it it was a 1 a blizzard, 2 bucketed rain and 3 the place caught on fire. I think after it has had pestilence then I might reconsider and try the place again. AAT have done bits aim to do it all one day. Oh and cathedral ranges I so love that place. Ahh that's ten I think so yeah that will do
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Hallu » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:59 pm

Chapman's book for VIC suffers the same problem as almost all walking books written for VIC : too many walks in the Melbourne area, too many "mining history" walks, nothing in the Mallee country. I actually think Glenn Tempest's book are better, although again there are too many walks related to the gold rush. But at least you've got walk in Chiltern and the Mallee. Croajingolong and Cape Conran are desperately missing though, they always think it's too far from Melbourne to tigger interest in the "casual" walkers that buy these day-walk-oriented books...
The only "book" that covers all the NPs is "take a walk victoria" by John & Lyn Daly, which is only available in e-book now, as it's almost 10 years old. There's a new edition planned, but since they have to write 2 other books before that one, and given their slow writing pace, it's not gonna be before at least a year.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby wildlight » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:25 am

Reedy Creek Chasm is absolutely spectacular. Go in via Brumby Point, out via Forlorn Hope. This will need a car shuffle, or face a long day's road march at the end. If no car shuffle, go in and come back out via Brumby Point. Roads have just been graded, absolutely perfect condition (Easter 2014) for little cars like Barina, Hyundai etc.
Cheers
WildLight
wildlight
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Snowzone » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 9:42 am

Where to start? Ok I'll go with my favourites first.
Bogong circuit - start/finish Howmans Gap
Feathertop - done any which way. Day or overnight
Crosscut Saw - either within circuit or even out to Mount Spec and back.
Wilsons Prom - Southern Circuit
Hotham to Falls Creek - Day or Overnight via Tawanga Huts
The Fortress - overnight, can be circuit with Mount Thackery
Mount Baw Baw - particularly like camping at the old hut ruins
The Crinoline - overnight
Cathedral Range - overnight circuit
Beeripmo Walk - I agree Sam, it is a great forest walk.

Ok have stopped at 10 but I now have so many more running through my head now wondering why they didn't get a mention.
Snowzone

Postby Empty » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:09 am

This is a great thread for someone (like me) who is just starting overnight walking in Vic. I have only done a handful so far including the Beerimpo walk which I agree was nice but was has been missing so far is a sense of remoteness. There seems to to be roads and 4wd tracks everywhere and, although I rarely see another walker, I am never far from the sound of chainsaws, motor bikes or shotguns.

I like to walk where only walkers can go. Where can I go for that remote experience? Thought I'd try the Fortress/Mt Thackeray this weekend but not sure if you are ever hat far from roads in the Grampians either.
I may be doing the typing but Steve Jobs is doing the spelling!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 5:00 pm

Empty where abouts are you located and how far do you usually like to travel. Just helps with suggestions for trips to do
Cheers Walkon

walkon

Postby Empty » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 6:12 pm

Thanks Walkon

I'll say from the outset that I don't want to hijack Sam's thread which essentially asked for a list of great walks but at some point it would be good to get some detail about the walks listed. I am finding it hard to get much info or track notes about overnighters in Vic.

For the record I live in central Vic near Castlemaine and I have been trying to knock off all the walks nearby and as far away as the Grampians. I am happy to venture further field but would really like more of a wilderness experience rather than sharing the bush with 4wd's. I cut my teeth in the Blue Mountains and am yet to find anything in Vic that comes close to Kanangra, Wollemi, Jamieson Valley or Shoalhaven. Hopefully someone with more local experience can set me straight.

Happy to start another thread if that helps.
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkon » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 7:33 pm

No probs Empty, the end result is finding out vic walks regardless, which is what I'd say Explorer Sam really wants, me too. About the same distance as the gramps from you are Cathedral near Alexandra, out the back of Mansfield there are some cracking bushwalks varying lengths and difficulty as mentioned above. Abit further mt bogong, falls creek, and feathertop which is beautiful and easier than bogong. I was just joking about not going to feathertop, but I haven't had much luck getting back to it for awhile. No doubt there are tons of walks in between. I used to go with mates near bendigo, not the big views of the high country but good in its own way.

Snowzone you have just about rounded of all my faves off
Cheers Walkon

walkon

Postby Hallu » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 7:57 pm

Beerimpo is popular because it's the perfect family overnight walk, not too hard, well signed, some wildlife, not too far from Melbourne, ideal for kids. I'd like to talk about the fact that nowadays we HAVE to ask for our favorite walks, and to me that's the illustration of a problem : walking books are gutless. The authors never say "this walk sucks" or "this walk's top of my list". That's why we read blogs, ask so many times the same questions on forums ("what's the best ... in ... ?"). I know many people hate grades and averages and percentages and stuff, but who amongst us hasn't wished, when exploring a new destination, that there were a website rating walks so that we can pick the best scenery, the more remote area, the less crowded tracks ? I'm always on the lookout for books like that, and so far, worldwide, I've only found two : NZ Frenzy by Scott Cook, and "Your Guide to the National Parks" by Michael Joseph Oswald (US book). If you find some more, please let me know. To me following those books is the best way to travel efficiently (of course if you live in the place it's less fun).
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Empty » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:09 pm

I have been trying to buy some books- john Chapman has one and another I think is 150 walks in Vic but haven't tracked them down as yet. Most seem dedicated to day walks around Melbourne like the one I did get hold of by glen tempest- melbournes western gorges. Thought I'd string together a couple of his day walks in the brisbane ranges but discovered you are slugged $20 bucks a night and corralled into designated camp grounds which are accessible to cars and camper trailers.

Not quite what I had in mind.
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 9:22 pm

There's a fairly remote and hard walk mostly off tracks from the top of Moroka Gorge, over Snowy Bluff, down to the Moroka River and then up the Gorge to the start. A similar walk approaches the Snowy River from the west below McKillops Bridge, walk and float downstream for a few days, then climb out. Mitchell River has another, as does the upper Murray River.

The Fortress area in the Grampians is pretty rugged, no tracks, no notes, and some lovely scenery. Anyone here seen the arch?

It really depends on the duration, and how easy or hard you want the walk. In general, easier walks on tracks have more people than harder walks off tracks. There's an approximate formula that the number of people seen is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the car and the cube of the altitude. I think that one can add weather, scrub and tracks notes.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Hallu » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 1:17 am

Empty wrote:I have been trying to buy some books- john Chapman has one and another I think is 150 walks in Vic but haven't tracked them down as yet. Most seem dedicated to day walks around Melbourne like the one I did get hold of by glen tempest- melbournes western gorges. Thought I'd string together a couple of his day walks in the brisbane ranges but discovered you are slugged $20 bucks a night and corralled into designated camp grounds which are accessible to cars and camper trailers.

Not quite what I had in mind.

Chapman did a multi-day walk book which is simply called "bushwalking in Australia", so it covers all the states, with maybe 4 or 5 walks in each one. For the Aussie Alps, Glen Tempest did one exclusively for that purpose a while ago, I'm not sure it's still in print, and I think there's one called "week end walks around Melbourne" or something too (Readings in Carlton has it). It wasn't too bad, but the selection was pretty standard, no surprises. So no, there's no book covering Victoria in all its glory for overnight walks (neither for day walks for that matter). The 150 walks in VIC by Tyron Thomas is pretty austere, old school maps, a big chunk of text, and no photos (ridiculous). It's very varied, but you spend your time wondering where those walks are, there's no general map with their location... so absolutely terrible for browsing through. So if you wanna walk the Mallee, Croajingolong, or some remote locations near the Snowy River for example, there's nothing. You need to search the forum, search the net, call the rangers, and gather all the info you can.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 1:46 am

Empty wrote:I have been trying to buy some books- john Chapman has one and another I think is 150 walks in Vic but haven't tracked them down as yet.

To start you off:

Other Books

lastly, in John Chapmans own words: "A list of every guide book I know of that includes overnight walks. Some are out of print and only available in libraries or as second hand books"
http://www.john.chapman.name/pub-bvic.html
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Hallu » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 2:08 am

I had the “Walks, Tracks and Trails of Victoria” by “Derrick Stone”, it's not very good. Yeah it's a pretty book, but it's not very well organized, and it mixes road trips/walks/town visits. It's ok for a general trip but purely for bushwalking it's not worthwhile. Also, unlike the NSW edition by the same author, the Victoria book lacks a general map with the location of all the walks, and it's pretty expensive. I got fooled by the nice cover.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Snowzone » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 9:44 am

Chapman and Tempest both have books dedicated to daywalks in Victoria.
Bushwalks in the Victorian Alps by Glenn Van der Knijff is a good one.

To keep this thread on track some more overnight walks;

Mount Difficult - Currently Not open due to fire damage
Grand Strzelecki Trail - Very pretty along the creek
The Black Range - West of the Gramps
The Fainters and Niggerheads - yes I know they have a new name just couldn't remember how to spell it.
The Little Desert - Desert descovery walk
Major Mitchell Plateau - The Gramps again
The Great South West walk out of Portland
Snowzone

Postby Explorer_Sam » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 6:14 pm

I'm loving the responses from everyone. Thanks all! Keep them coming. I will keep a list of all the nominations and sometime we can all vote for 5 or something like that. I'll also nominate Lerderderg Gorge. So much good walking in there!
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby scroggin » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 1:10 pm

icefest wrote:
Empty wrote:I have been trying to buy some books- john Chapman has one and another I think is 150 walks in Vic but haven't tracked them down as yet.

To start you off:

Other Books

lastly, in John Chapmans own words: "A list of every guide book I know of that includes overnight walks. Some are out of print and only available in libraries or as second hand books"
http://www.john.chapman.name/pub-bvic.html

John Siseman's
Victoria's Alpine National Park A Bushwalker's Guide
Is an oldie but a goodie.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Empty » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks to everyone for the info on books. I managed to pick up the 150 walks book at the Grampians info centre. Looks to be well written with plenty of detail and even sketch maps. It's a start!
Empty
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Mon 28 Apr, 2014 9:59 pm

You'll quickly realize that the problem of this book is the maps and the lack of details. I've seen some walks in this book that'll make you go to unmarked tracks and junctions that are tough to negociate by just reading what's in the book or looking at the map. For that purpose, Tempest's and Chapman's book are far superior. The lack of general map to show you were the walks are and the lack of photos is also very discouraging in order to pick a walk.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Ellie » Tue 14 Apr, 2015 9:22 pm

Snowzone wrote:Chapman and Tempest both have books dedicated to daywalks in Victoria.
Bushwalks in the Victorian Alps by Glenn Van der Knijff is a good one.

To keep this thread on track some more overnight walks;

Mount Difficult - Currently Not open due to fire damage
Grand Strzelecki Trail - Very pretty along the creek
The Black Range - West of the Gramps
The Fainters and Niggerheads - yes I know they have a new name just couldn't remember how to spell it.
The Little Desert - Desert descovery walk
Major Mitchell Plateau - The Gramps again
The Great South West walk out of Portland

Hi Snowzone, I'm curious about the Black Range overnight hike you mentioned. What route does this involve? :)
Ellie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 12 May, 2015 4:49 pm

1.Sealers' cove /Refuge cove / Lt.Waterloo bay/ The Prom
2. MacFarlane saddle/Wellington high plains/ Miller's hut /The sentinels/ Lake Tali Karng via Gilio's track /MacFarlane saddle
3. MacAlister Springs/Mt Howitt/Crosscut saw : from any approach but the Western ridge of Mt Howitt is a slog.
4.Mt Feathertop/The Razorback from any approach but never again the via NW spur, no ! not that again :-0
5.Bogong High plains: Cope hut to Dibbin's hut /Blair's hut/Tawonga huts/Pretty Valley hut/ Cope saddle hut / Cope hut
6.Northern Prom circuit. The full 60 kms.
7. Mt Bogong via stair case spur ascending and Eskdale spur- descending
8.Mt Difficult/ The Grampians.It is closed at the moment and so too is the Crinolene circuit as far as I know.
9.anything to do with Mt Stirling esp. in the snow season
10.Mt. Loch circuit with an overnight camp at Dibbin's hut or watchbed creek to Roper's hut and back ( Fall's creek area).
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby wildbird » Wed 13 May, 2015 3:37 pm

Vote for Feathertop, find a good spot for the tent, sun set on one side and sunrise on the other, unbelievable.
wildbird
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria