Mt Thackery / Fortress

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Thackery / Fortress

Postby B-Man37 » Thu 31 May, 2012 6:51 pm

Has anyone done Mt Thackery & Fortress in the Grampians walk? And if so can it be done in two days? It says on the map 27km. Also has anyone done this walk in winter as I am planning? I am also looking at the Major Mitchell Plateau.
B-Man37
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Mt Thackery / Fortress

Postby bmak » Thu 31 May, 2012 7:24 pm

I think there is still no access to both areas.
And both done in two days easy in my opinion.
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Mt Thackery / Fortress

Postby dplanet » Thu 31 May, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes, it can be done in two days if you are a fit and fast walker; but tiredness could be the outcome at the end of the day. Don't forget that it gets dark around 5.00pm. Why in rush? Take your time to take it in. Check ParkVic website carefully, and if possible, have a word with rangers in charge. If no access to the area, check if it is no go to motor vehicles or walkers. Major Mitchell Plateau is also an interesting place for a go and it is more enjoyable if car shuffle available.
dplanet
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby stuart53 » Wed 04 Jul, 2012 9:16 pm

I have been interested in doing this trip for the last year as well, but the official advice is that the area is closed to bushwalking. It has been closed since January 2011 and there is no indication as to when it will re-open. Major Mitchell Plateau is closed as well - as I understand it the only overnight walk that is accessible is Mt Difficult which is nice enough but I've done it three times already. Has anyone been into the southern Grampians recently? Parks Victoria make it sound like the area has been totally trashed but there's no real information about the state of the park or progress in restoring it. It's unclear why one of the most popular walking venues in the state should be declared out of bounds for a year and a half.
stuart53
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Drew » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 11:48 am

There's a little Parks Vic video here that gives some idea of why it's taken so long to reopen these areas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGHTPujJ ... r_embedded

And the latest flood recovery update is here: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... Update.pdf

I agree though, it is a bit annoying. I guess the vast majority of visitors do daywalks so they are getting those ready as the first priority.
Drew

Mt Thackery / Fortress

Postby bmak » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 1:20 pm

The reason they have not opened yet may be because of missing signage. I've been in a few closed areas and it's mostly just a few trees over tracks that need clearing and some wash away
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby stuart53 » Thu 05 Jul, 2012 10:11 pm

I fully accept that there was a lot of damage done to the park and that it will take a while to fix. I can also see the sense in not re-opening day walks where people will reasonably expect that they can go to see a view with their children without needed climbing ropes. What I don't get (sorry, I can feel a rant coming on) is the idea that until all of this is fixed, no-one should be permitted to go on overnight walks in the damaged areas. The shots in the Parks video show a fair bit of water erosion, areas of loose rock and fallen trees, but if you go walking in lots of places this stuff is par for the course. I've spent days walking in the NT and WA where the entire landscape is loose rock. Hundreds of people a year do the south coast track in Tas and that's six days of water erosion from breakfast to tea-time. No-one says,"you mustn't go there until we've replaced all the steps". By all means issue revised track difficulty standards so that people understand what they''re likely to face, or do some kind of screening of party experience like they do for Jatbula, but my concern is that once you start to invoke "visitor safety" as the basis for whether you let people access an area it's unclear where you stop. Bushwalking is an inherently risky activity - you can minimize the risk but you can't make it go away. Moreover, when people do get into serious trouble it's usually poor judgment, fatigue or bad weather that is the primary factor. End of rant.
stuart53
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby CaptainC » Sun 08 Jul, 2012 11:46 am

I think that the problem is legal liability/ insurance issues. Parks doesn't want to officially open tracks until they are fixed to an extremely high standard, to avoid being sued if people have an accident. This situation suits lawyers and the insurance industry, but not the rest of us.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bmak » Sun 08 Jul, 2012 3:26 pm

Thats my take on it too. Unfortunately many people are looking to blame someone else if they end up lost/injured etc. and if they leave it open with missing signage, bridges and clear paths the risks increase.

The environmental impact may be another concern as although places like the Grampians allow off track walking the usual impact from this would be minimal compared to having the area open to everyone walking off track around fallen trees/rocks and through creeks with no bridges.
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 6:53 pm

CaptainC wrote:I think that the problem is legal liability/ insurance issues. Parks doesn't want to officially open tracks until they are fixed to an extremely high standard, to avoid being sued if people have an accident. This situation suits lawyers and the insurance industry, but not the rest of us.

*shrug*
So you go walking anyway. Not like you're going to be up against the wall for it.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby stuart53 » Tue 10 Jul, 2012 9:16 pm

Agree. Looks like Buandik track is accessible anyway. The wildflowers should start to be out late August. You can come visit me in jail.
stuart53
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby north-north-west » Wed 11 Jul, 2012 7:03 pm

I'll probably be in the cell next door.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Snowzone » Mon 30 Jul, 2012 11:09 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to get to the highest part of the Fortress without climbing ropes.
Snowzone

Postby Snowzone » Tue 31 Jul, 2012 12:00 pm

Apparently contractors have been appointed to complete works on the Fortress track starting in the first week on August. So hopefully that means the area will not be too far off reopening.
Snowzone

Postby Hallu » Tue 30 Oct, 2012 11:01 am

Is the area still closed ? Thanks.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby trickos » Tue 30 Oct, 2012 1:07 pm

Looks like its open....according to latest update from Parks Vic dated 26th Oct. See link.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... Update.pdf
trickos
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Tue 30 Oct, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks, it looks like it's open (I'll contact Parks Victoria to be safe), I'm gonna try to do an overnight walk there in November.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby zorro » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi, can anyone give me an update on this area please? I heard it is closed.
zorro
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby bmak » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 2:30 pm

The area is open but some roads are still closed
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby jimjim » Thu 21 Nov, 2013 3:52 pm

bmak wrote:The area is open but some roads are still closed

I did a day walk up to the Fortress a few weeks ago. I think it was the week after the area was officially reopened.

Wow. What a lovely spot. The vegetation is stunning in its revival. Xanthoreas like you wouldn't believe and orchids everywhere.

The views are spectacular with nothing hidden in the undergrowth.

Back then the creeks were flowing strongly. Enjoy.
jimjim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Sat 23 Nov, 2013 1:08 pm

I just called Parks Vic and they told me that the track to the Fortress is open but not beyond the Fortress. I might try to get up before Xmas to do the circuit regardless unless there's a good reason to stop at the Fortress.. Has anyone been beyond the Fortress since it reopened?
Last edited by Drew on Sat 23 Nov, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew

Postby bmak » Sat 23 Nov, 2013 1:33 pm

I might head in there early next week and can let you know
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby leaf » Thu 19 Dec, 2013 3:02 pm

Hello!

The Fortress walk is advertised as a 3-day walk in Park notes/guidebooks.

Can anyone advise if it is doable in 2 days? Looks like a fair bit of the walking is on Victoria Range Road (sealed?). If doing it in 2-days, which direction is better to maximise time spent exploring the Fortress itself?

Will be coming from Melbourne in a 2WD, as far as I know 2WD access is ok?

thank you!
leaf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Snowzone » Fri 20 Dec, 2013 8:24 am

leaf wrote:The Fortress walk is advertised as a 3-day walk in Park notes/guidebooks.

Your probably reading notes that include Mt. Thakery? I don't think all that section has been reopened yet. Best to check directly with Parks what you can access but you can certainly walk in and out of the Fortress.
Snowzone

Postby rodb2013 » Wed 01 Jan, 2014 7:39 am

A few years ago the dirt road to trail head for Fortress was sandy but ok. The track needed good navigation when you get into the rocky section. It's great terrain with lots of rocky gullies and roofs. We carted water in so had heavy packs and remember it was very hot and tough. There was no water near the Fortress. Due to no water we only stayed in one night. Would have been good to climb up the top. Fortress roof is a rock climbing classic. Check out climbing sites like Chockstone. If you can plan it, go after a good period of rain and you might find water.
rodb2013
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Drew » Tue 26 Aug, 2014 10:21 am

I just called Parks Vic and they told me that the track to the Fortress is open but not beyond the Fortress. I might try to get up before Xmas to do the circuit regardless unless there's a good reason to stop at the Fortress.. Has anyone been beyond the Fortress since it reopened?

I was just looking through this thread and saw my own comment from last year - I didn't end up doing that walk but now I'm thinking of it again for the next few weeks some time. My partner and I are off to Nepal in October, so we're trying to give our legs a workout in preparation!

My question for people who've done this walk as a circuit: is the northern section of the circuit from Mt Thackeray to the finish worth doing? I've read that it's boring.

I'm thinking that an option could be walking in to Mt Thackeray on Day 1, then on Day 2 spending the morning climbing Mt Thackeray before going to The Fortress for the second night, then an easy walk out on the Day 3. Plenty of time to explore The Fortress area in the arvo on Day 2 or the morning of Day 3. Or perhaps just doing that all in 2 days instead?

Thoughts?
Drew

Postby Drummo62 » Tue 26 Aug, 2014 10:52 am

I have done the circuit anticlockwise in 2 days on a couple of occasions but not since it was reopened. In my opinion it is a comfortable 2 day walk, overnighting at the Mt Thackeray campsite. You will need to carry water up which I have collected at a small creek that crosses Victoria Range rd just before the last climb. We camped at Buandik the night before starting to get a good start to the first days hike. The northern section can be a bit boring hiking back to the carpark on Harrop track and the best bit of the circuit is certainly around the fortress and the side trip to Mt Thackeray.
Drummo62
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby bmak » Tue 26 Aug, 2014 1:38 pm

The best section is to fortress then mt Thackery. The last section being on road can be be a little boring but it's not that bad. Still some great views
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 10:28 am

Okay, thanks bmak and Drummo62. It would seem a shame to do it in 2 days as that would mean rushing through the best parts in 1 day. Hmm, not sure what the best option is. Maybe driving up the night before and camping at Buandik, then having a full day for the first day with all the interesting bits.
Drew

Postby dplanet » Wed 27 Aug, 2014 8:34 pm

I recently walked into The Fortress and camped there for the first night. The next morning, I walked to Eastern Cave and a bit further, but did not do the road walk to Mt Thackery. If planning to camp at Buandik, you need to book online or attend The Brambuk Visitor Info Centre at Halls Gap.
dplanet

Next

Return to Victoria