Mt Thackery / Fortress

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Mt Thackery / Fortress

Postby Drew » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:50 pm

Really, you have to book (and pay?) to camp at Buandik? Last year a group of us did the Mt Difficult walk, arriving late and camping at Troopers Creek on the Friday night. I assume then that we were supposed to book and pay for this?
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Drew » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 12:56 pm

Really, you have to book (and pay?) to camp at Buandik? Last year a group of us did the Mt Difficult walk, arriving late and camping at Troopers Creek on the Friday night. I assume then that we were supposed to book and pay for this?

I've just looked at Parks Vic booking website and found the answer to my question. Yes, to camp at Buandik you need to book and pay $34 for one night! Is this the new fee regime coming into effect? I think I'll be likely to pretend I didn't know about it.
Drew

Postby ErichFromm » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 1:00 pm

From memory there is a spot near the edge of the pine forest near the start of the fortress side of the walk where you can camp for free. Not sure if that has changed since the fees came in.

You could ask at the Information centre in Halls Gap: when I was there last I bought a map and the woman behind the counter showed me all the free camping spots (nice of her).

Do a trip report when you get back: I'm planning on doing the same walk in a few weeks (give my new hammock a try)....
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby dplanet » Thu 28 Aug, 2014 4:42 pm

Drew wrote:
Really, you have to book (and pay?) to camp at Buandik?

I've just looked at Parks Vic booking website and found the answer to my question. Yes, to camp at Buandik you need to book and pay $34 for one night! Is this the new fee regime coming into effect? I think I'll be likely to pretend I didn't know about it.

IMO, $34 for one night for one person or even for two is still a pain in the neck.
dplanet

Postby Drew » Mon 15 Sep, 2014 12:17 pm

Do a trip report when you get back: I'm planning on doing the same walk in a few weeks (give my new hammock a try)....

Unfortunately it looks like yet another spring will pass without me doing this walk, so you might have to post a trip report instead ErichFromm! My girlfriend's rolled ankle has been taking longer than expected to recover and then I got struck down by a virus. It's not the ideal preparation for trekking in Nepal! Guess we'll just have to get fit on the first few days of the trek then...
Drew

Postby ErichFromm » Sat 20 Sep, 2014 7:06 pm

All set to do fortress this coming weekend, annual leave all booked and everything. And then last night someone broke into my car. Door lock screwed, ignition screwed.

Found part of a filed back key stuck in ignition. Eventually managed to get it to turn over but everything is dead. I was supposed to leave wed night. First hike in months due to work and new baby. NOT a happy camper.... :(
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sun 21 Sep, 2014 5:08 am

The *&%$#!. You should be able to get an "emergency" lock smith to sort it out and ring an auto elec about the rest. Might only be a computer reset needed.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Tue 16 Jun, 2015 6:00 pm

I finally got around to doing this walk. Trip report here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=20513
Drew

Previous

Return to Victoria