Viking circuit starting 29/10

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Viking circuit starting 29/10

Postby mtrain » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 7:39 pm

Been thinking of heading in to do the Viking circuit next weekend and have a couple of questions. Any one know how much snow is left up in that area, mainly the crosscut saw and Howitt. Also regarding access, I'm in central Victoria and last time I went in I went via the Stirling circuit road then bindaree road to the upper howqua. I'm wondering about either repeating the same or wondered if the speculation rd off cobbler lake track is an option.
I'll ring parks later this week to find out about seasonal roads being opened but was after some opinions.
Thanks
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Viking circuit starting 29/10

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 8:11 pm

Some aspects of Mt. Howitt keep deep drifts of snow well into spring. This October has kept snowing and snowing in the Oz Alps. I would take micro spikes just in case .The 4 WD roads out that way may stay closed past Cup day. It has been very wet this spring.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Travis22 » Sun 23 Oct, 2016 9:57 pm

Id be surprised if there is any snow worth mentioning up there next weekend, certainly nothing worth worrying about unless it snows heavily between now and then.

We were out there last year over Cup weekend (still have nightmares lol) and copped over a hundred mm of rain over the weekend on the Viking Circuit (no snow in sight). Fingers crossed this long weekend will be a little more favorable out there!

In the last month the area has easily received 100-200mm of rain, i think the last big dump of snow in that area was on the 29th Sept. But it didnt stick around long and again there has been a lot of rain (some snow showers but again mostly just rain) since then.

Deff need to call parks to check the vehicle tracks you want to use to access the walk, with the very high winds over the past 2 weeks and rain / rain soaked ground god knows what the roads / tracks will be like. The usual land slips / trees down would be pretty likely but hopefully they are working on clearing the main tracks around there atm in preparation for the gates opening.

Id be keen to hear any details you get from parks when you call later this week.

Travis.
Travis22
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Xplora » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 5:34 am

I tend to agree with Travis. The crosscut does not have the altitude to hold large amounts of snow which would affect the walk and all the snow that fell yesterday has all but gone. We are planning a look today on the BHP which will give a good indication of the snow line. I have mentioned this before but a few years back I rang Whitfield Parks office to check on Spec road to Camp creek and it was well into November. Heard nothing back for a week until we were in Myrtleford (on the way) and they rang to say it was still closed due to trees down. Ring them by all means but do not expect a quick reply. The best time to call is 8am or just before knock off and you may have to follow up with several calls. The parks info line or website will not have this specific information so you need to talk to the guys on the ground. It is a small office and they are very busy this time of year. If you do not get a response from them you can ring their head office in Mansfield. Bart (who is the head man there now) used to be the boss at Whitfield and will be well informed on the area. I think the circuit road should be open by then if not already. You will of course need a real 4wd to get to camp creek and it is a very slow drive from Cheshunt.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby byrnesy8 » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 3:53 pm

Travis22 wrote:Id be surprised if there is any snow worth mentioning up there next weekend, certainly nothing worth worrying about unless it snows heavily between now and then.

We were out there last year over Cup weekend (still have nightmares lol) and copped over a hundred mm of rain over the weekend on the Viking Circuit (no snow in sight). Fingers crossed this long weekend will be a little more favorable out there!

In the last month the area has easily received 100-200mm of rain, i think the last big dump of snow in that area was on the 29th Sept. But it didnt stick around long and again there has been a lot of rain (some snow showers but again mostly just rain) since then.

Deff need to call parks to check the vehicle tracks you want to use to access the walk, with the very high winds over the past 2 weeks and rain / rain soaked ground god knows what the roads / tracks will be like. The usual land slips / trees down would be pretty likely but hopefully they are working on clearing the main tracks around there atm in preparation for the gates opening.

Id be keen to hear any details you get from parks when you call later this week.

Travis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byrnesy8
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby mtrain » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for that. .ive got a number for Mansfield parks office to ring in the morning. I'll post up any info I get.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Travis22 » Mon 24 Oct, 2016 7:15 pm

I heard today a report from a friend enquiring about seasonally closed vehicle tracks (a bit further NE of this area) opening this Thursday and he was informed they are going to keep the area closed until Nov 30 because of the wet conditions and track damage. Fingers crossed we wont get the same report for Howitt Rd etc which provides the easiest access to the Howitt / Viking area for many people from Melbourne etc.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby Xplora » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 4:08 am

Would be interested to know where exactly these roads are Travis. I have also made enquiries and most of the roads will open. My suspicion (which was posted on the other topic of seasonally closed roads) is they would stay closed longer. I have some concerns about BHP opening this week if Alpine Shire does not pull its finger out. Lots of work to do on it.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Travis22 » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 9:26 am

DELWP Corryong. Re: 4wd trails out that way / Tom Groggin.

Travis.
Travis22

Postby mtrain » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 3:38 pm

Regarding access to the Viking area. I spoke to a very helpful women at Mansfield parks office this morning who said the camp creek, bindaree and circuit roads will all be open for the weekend. She was interested team that had been checking the tracks the last week and said it was looking great in there but was quite wet and a couple of mud holes to be careful of.
So all go apart from the interesting weather that is forecast.
mtrain
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Xplora » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 4:20 am

Travis22 wrote:DELWP Corryong. Re: 4wd trails out that way / Tom Groggin. Travis.

Thanks Travis. Most of the tracks leading to Tom Groggin from the south are opened by the Omeo Parks office and I have nothing from them as yet about any delays. I am not sure as yet how reliable my contacts there are as they are all new. DELWP do the State Forest and yesterday I was chatting with some on the Bentley Plain (which had 100mm snow on it) and they said they will open their gates on Friday but not clear until after the weekend. They figure many tracks will be cleared by 4wd people for them.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria