Wilsons Promontry Southern Section

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilsons Promontry Southern Section

Postby OG1 » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 11:48 am

Hi,
I am planning to hike the Southern section of Wilsons Prom just after school holidays in April this year and was hoping for comments and advice on our intended itinerary. The group is reasonable to fairly fit and range in experience. Distances are as indicated on our 1:50,000 map
Day 1: Telegraph Saddle (Oberon) Carpark to Refuge Cove Campground (16.6km)
Day 2: Refuge Cove Campground to Wilsons Promontory Lightstation campground )17.8km)
Day 3: Wilsons Promontory Lightstation campground to Roaring Meg Campsite (6.1km)
Side hike to South Point (6km return)
Day 4: Roaring Meg Campsite to Tidal River visitors Centre. (19.9km)
Any comments on this would be appreciated... We are keen to hear if there is a better way to see this section, and anything we may be missing.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Wilsons Promontry Southern Section

Postby Lamont » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 12:38 pm

Is there a campground at the lightstation? I thought it was dorms/house accom. only and plenty spondoolicks.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby peregrinator » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 1:57 pm

OG1, Lamont is correct -- there no campsite at the lighthouse. So spacing out your overnight locations as equitably as possible, and sticking with you four-day plan, you might consider:

1. Sealers Cove.
2. Little Waterloo Bay.
3. Roaring Meg.
4. Tidal River.

Or go anti-clockwise. Refuge Cove is the least unattractive site of them all though, in my opinion. I don't like any of the other sites, and even Refuge can be too crowded. Another option, if you've got the funds in the bank, is to do it in two days and stay at the lighthouse. Advantages: need to carry less on your back; staying in a very attractive location. Disadvantages: spending the funds; fewer days out.

Your distances are correct, except for Meg to Tidal, which I believe is about 17.5.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 2:38 pm

Take 5 peregrinator!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby OG1 » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:14 pm

Many thanks Lamont and Peregrinator. Good to have sorted out the Lightstation camping issue.
Any must sees or must does on this circuit that are not shown on the maps?
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby peregrinator » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 3:53 pm

One that is on your map but that involves a short sidetrack from your route is Kersop Peak, between Refuge and Waterloo, for a beautiful view. Don't leave your packs at the intersection though -- ravens are very clever hereabouts.

You probably could leave packs though in your tents at Roaring Meg for the side trip to South Point, assuming you have time to do that walk. But given that you cannot actually reach the southern-most point, you might want to consider omitting this from your plan.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby OG1 » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks Peregrinator. I noticed Kersop Peak on the map and was wondering if we should do it. Good to know its worth doing. Apart from its geographic significance, do you feel there is anything else of interest about the walk to South Point?
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby bigkev » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 6:21 pm

peregrinator wrote:One that is on your map but that involves a short sidetrack from your route is Kersop Peak, between Refuge and Waterloo, for a beautiful view. Don't leave your packs at the intersection though -- ravens are very clever hereabouts.

You probably could leave packs though in your tents at Roaring Meg for the side trip to South Point, assuming you have time to do that walk. But given that you cannot actually reach the southern-most point, you might want to consider omitting this from your plan.

Watch out for the ravens if you leave your pack to drop down to the lighthouse too. They ransacked my mates pack there last year :cry:
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 17 Feb, 2018 6:51 pm

We did this route in mid December 2017 . It was hot and humid when it was n't raining and windy!
DAY 1. Telegraph saddle to Sealers Cove.
2. Sealers Cove to Little Waterloo Bay.
3. Little Waterloo Bay to Roaring Meg.We visited the Lighthouse en route. Don't leave your bags anywhere near the Lighthouse track junction . The crows are a force of nature at opening backpacks and zips and looking for food .
4. Roaring Meg/ Halfway Hut for a water refill/ Oberon Bay/Tidal River.
It is a very popular place for walkers and campers. Only the section from Waterloo Bay to the Lighthouse was relatively people free and almost litter free. It was the best bit and the S.E. track has been given a haircut.
In comparison,
The Grey Hills in the Alpine N.P. is wild and people free. It costs nothing to walk and camp out that way. The scenery at the Prom. is great but the Southern Prom . is too popular these days. The Northern Prom. is more my kind of thing really.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby OG1 » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 6:24 am

Thanks Bigkev, good to know they are about. I saw the effect of birds in a pack while doing the Overland Track. Thankfully it wasn't my pack.

Hi PCV. Yes, very different from the Bogong circuit. I have a short overnighter around Hotham this coming weekend, then early March for Bogong and the Grey Hills. The Prom has been on my list for a while so i'm looking forward to finally getting there. The Northern section of the Prom I have on my list, but another populated one (The Great Ocean walk - in May) we will do first.
OG1
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby dashandsaph » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 11:56 am

I strongly recommend going south from Tidal River via Norman Point and Oberon Bay a spectacular coastline walk, then inland to meet Telegraph Track, or reverse.

This is Oberon Bay.
Attachments
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_963d.jpg
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:26 pm

Correction. That is a photo of LITTLE Oberon Bay.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dashandsaph » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 10:40 pm

PCV, you are quite correct it was taken at Little Oberon Bay, but you can see across Oberon Bay in the background.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 12:24 pm

I'm heading down in a couple of weeks. Just wondering how bad this problem with the birds is? If you take your pack 100m from the junction is it okay? Or is it throughout the whole area?
CraigVIC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby warnabrother » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 2:48 pm

CraigVIC wrote:I'm heading down in a couple of weeks. Just wondering how bad this problem with the birds is? If you take your pack 100m from the junction is it okay? Or is it throughout the whole area?

LOL.. the birds don't hang around in gangs at the intersections of tracks :)
They know what a pack looks like and know there is food in it.. either carry it with you or stick it in your tent..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 3:44 pm

Fair enough, just following up on comments that implied exactly that. I've never had a problem with birds anywhere I've been, it's all a bit Hitchcock.
CraigVIC

Postby warnabrother » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 4:51 pm

CraigVIC wrote:Fair enough, just following up on comments that implied exactly that. I've never had a problem with birds anywhere I've been, it's all a bit Hitchcock.

It's not only birds at the Prom.. we've had a few problems with Wombats too.. my mates brand new Hilleberg was about two seconds away from being ripped to pieces by a naughty wombat.. we caught it just in time !.. I think that was at Oberon Bay..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Tue 20 Feb, 2018 5:33 pm

Not too fussed about that, just when there's a chance to drop packs we normally take it. I don't know much about the prom, my walking partner is organising this one.
CraigVIC

Postby dashandsaph » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 4:15 pm

My experience at the turnoff to the lighthouse with the ravens is they can undo a zip by pulling on the tab and will peck at the contents until they uncover any food there. If your zip pulls are pushed into the garages (apparently that's a thing) and they can't pull on a tab, the ravens are ok. They don't appear to try to peck through the fabric of the pack.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 21 Feb, 2018 9:24 pm

The birds will pack at anything until they find food. I keep novels, maps, all sorts of things in seal top plastic bags. They had a go at those but found my taste in reading matter to be less than appealing.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dashandsaph » Thu 22 Feb, 2018 7:38 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The birds will pack at anything until they find food. I keep novels, maps, all sorts of things in seal top plastic bags. They had a go at those but found my taste in reading matter to be less than appealing.

So PCV, they aren't voracious readers?
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnabrother » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 9:00 am

they are raven'ous (sorry, coouldn't help myself) :)
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 10:23 am

I am paying it! Well done Senor brother.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dashandsaph » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 4:09 pm

well played!
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 8:17 pm

I've just come back. We left our packs at the lighthouse junction in the end. I just put a couple of carabiners I was carrying anyway on the zips, and didn't have any problems. My mate put his cover on but forgot his hip belt and lost some nuts. All up, I think as long as you're aware of the problem, it's no big deal and certainly preferable to carrying a pack up to the lighthouse
CraigVIC

Postby CraigVIC » Wed 07 Mar, 2018 9:25 pm

And to the OP, I'd skip refuge. It makes the days uneven but sealers, LWB and roaring meg (inc south point) are the pick. South point is great for all the obvious reasons but it is also a lovely walk with a few bush types not seen on the rest of the loop.
CraigVIC

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 08 Mar, 2018 6:10 pm

If it is wet then the South Point Track becomes Leech point.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby fixa » Wed 04 Jul, 2018 6:41 pm

peregrinator wrote:OG1, Lamont is correct -- there no campsite at the lighthouse. So spacing out your overnight locations as equitably as possible, and sticking with you four-day plan, you might consider:

1. Sealers Cove.
2. Little Waterloo Bay.
3. Roaring Meg.
4. Tidal River.

Or go anti-clockwise. Refuge Cove is the least unattractive site of them all though, in my opinion. I don't like any of the other sites, and even Refuge can be too crowded. Another option, if you've got the funds in the bank, is to do it in two days and stay at the lighthouse. Advantages: need to carry less on your back; staying in a very attractive location. Disadvantages: spending the funds; fewer days out.

Your distances are correct, except for Meg to Tidal, which I believe is about 17.5.

Wow. I found Refuge to be the pick of the bunch. Sealers was nice but quite a slope on most sites. We were planning on staying at Little Waterloo but arrived there by lunchtime and most of the campsites were waterlogged (This was september last year) so pushed on. Oh, the climb out of Refuge is a good wake up in the mornings!
fixa
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby CaptainC » Mon 23 Jul, 2018 8:15 pm

Wilsons Prom isn't the only place where birds are known to attack packs. On the Overland Track there are several locations where signs warn of birds attacking packs that are left unattended.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria