Mount Difficult water

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Difficult water

Postby Drew » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm doing the Mount Difficult circuit in the Grampians this weekend. Just wondering if anyone has a good idea of the likelihood of finding water along the way? Looks like there could be a couple of creeks but after such a dry winter and spring maybe they'll be dry. I'm sure if I ask the rangers they'll just tell me to carry water...

Planning to camp at either Longpoint East or West campsite.

Cheers.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Mount Difficult water

Postby J M » Thu 18 Oct, 2018 11:21 pm

I was up there at the very start of spring and there was stacks of water around. I haven't paid attention to what the weather has been like over that way recently but if there has been a bit of rain recently it's likely it'll hang around for a little while.
Only those who live on the edge can see the view
J M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Fri 19 Oct, 2018 8:53 am

Thanks J M. That sounds promising. Only 7mm at Stawell in September and 20mm so far this month though so who knows.
Drew

Postby Drew » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 12:44 pm

There was plenty of water around. I ended up calling the rangers and they told me that there'd been a bit of rain recently in the Grampians (much more than Stawell) so we should find water.

Lovely walk with heaps of wildflowers in bloom.

We camped at Longpoint West campsite. Hardly any flat ground there. It really doesn't deserve to be called a campsite. Longpoint East is much better. Mt Difficult campsite is no longer an official site but there's still room for a few tents there. That would be my preferred spot next time.
Drew

Postby Explorer_Sam » Thu 15 Nov, 2018 8:24 pm

Drew wrote:There was plenty of water around. I ended up calling the rangers and they told me that there'd been a bit of rain recently in the Grampians (much more than Stawell) so we should find water.

Lovely walk with heaps of wildflowers in bloom.

We camped at Longpoint West campsite. Hardly any flat ground there. It really doesn't deserve to be called a campsite. Longpoint East is much better. Mt Difficult campsite is no longer an official site but there's still room for a few tents there. That would be my preferred spot next time.

I second that. Longpoint West wasn't much chop. Walking out past Longpoint East om day 2, it looked much better. But yes, the second-last time I was there (February or April I think), I used the top campsite and it was a spectacular spot.
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria