Five Mile Beach to Sealers Cove

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Five Mile Beach to Sealers Cove

Postby drpar2 » Thu 19 Mar, 2020 7:25 am

Hi all,

I am interested to hear if anyone has attempted to get from five mile beach to sealers cove (or vice versa) around the rocks of the cathedral at low tide?

I found this trip report, albiet a little out of date, from 1952 where it took them 2 nights to get over the cathedral, which given the bushfire of 2009 I imagine the scrub would be of similar height/density by now.

https://mbw.org.au/downloads/walk_magaz ... 3-1952.pdf

Cheers
drpar2
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Five Mile Beach to Sealers Cove

Postby Drew » Thu 19 Mar, 2020 10:40 am

I found a trip report online years ago. Since then, every time I've stopped to enjoy view back to Sealers I've looked at the headland and contemplated tacking it. I don't think it's technically allowed these days as no off-track walking is permitted at the Prom. I can't find the page now (it might not exist anymore) but I did save it as a webarchive file! Unfortunately this forum won't let me upload a webarchive. If you feel like being more persistent than me with googling then try searcing for "Tour de Prom" by Travis Easton.

Or I could try emailing it to you if you like. Shoot me a PM.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Re: Five Mile Beach to Sealers Cove

Postby CaptainC » Wed 25 Mar, 2020 8:09 pm

I have done Sealers to Five Mile going above the rocks a few times. I had a quick look and found some photos from October 2005, not sure if they are the most recent. It's quite doable but slow. We went about 2 hours per km. Near Sealers we went along the top of the rocks but further along we went up into the scrub above the rocks. About 1 km south of Five Mile Beach is a creek that makes a nice campsite. Reasonably open and level. Of course off track walking is banned at the moment at Wilsons Prom.
CaptainC
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to Victoria