Some easy day walks

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Some easy day walks

Postby wildernesswanderer » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 6:58 pm

I'm doing the Cross Cut walk in December with a few friends and want to get my fitness up a bit before hand and also to get my wife to see if she wants to do a multi day. Not sure if she will but doing a couple of all day walks will at least tell her what a full day hike will be like.

Also for those that have done the Cross Cut Saw, what are some must haves for the hike, things you need to take.
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Some easy day walks

Postby jford » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 8:07 pm

Assuming you're in Melbourne, the Lerderderg Gorge 18km walk is good for a try out of somewhat challenging conditions (various day walks books have this), then climb Mt Donna Buang from Warburton and back if you want to try climbing 1000m in a day (not in many books, but look at Parks Vic site).

J.
Solvitur Ambulando: It is solved by walking. (St Augustine, attr.)
jford
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby wildernesswanderer » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 8:40 pm

Yeah I'm in Melbourne. Thanks
wildernesswanderer
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 18 Sep, 2012 11:59 pm

If
you are climbing the CC saw using Mac springs as a base camp, then it isn't that hard to do in a day and you can take in Mt Howitt on the way too.
What is a good fitness test is climbing Mt Feathertop from Harrietville via the Bungalow spur or even more exacting is the via NW spur.Most people camp at Federation hut for the night since on arrival at the campsite they are totally rogered and can't move for an hour after they reach the hut!!!
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Sun 23 Sep, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby north-north-west » Wed 19 Sep, 2012 8:02 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:If
you are climbing the CC saw using Mac springs as a base camp, then it isn't that hard to do in a day and you can take in Mt Howitt on the way too.
What is a good fitness test is clombing Mt Feathertop from Harrietville via the Bungalow spur or even more exacting is the via NW spur.Most people camp at Federation hut for the night since on arrival at the campsite they are totally rogered and can't move for an hour!!!

After a 10km gentle uphill on a good track? Wimps!
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby matagi » Wed 19 Sep, 2012 8:25 pm

I reckon the 1000 steps while wearing a pack would be a pretty good workout. In fact, the mere thought makes me want to lie down. :P
This makes me the first man to climb Mount Everest backwards, without oxygen...or even a jumper.
matagi
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby Mifferz » Wed 19 Sep, 2012 10:17 pm

matagi wrote:I reckon the 1000 steps while wearing a pack would be a pretty good workout. In fact, the mere thought makes me want to lie down. :P

It's about ~30 minutes up and down walking non-stop. However after doing it, I'd recommend going the other routes as they're not as busy. Managed to get about 3 hours by doing that with about a 4kg pack on :)
Mifferz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby rimair » Wed 19 Sep, 2012 11:40 pm

Hi wildernesswanderer,
I am sure you have looked at the usual books from Chapman, Tempest and others. A good selection of walks. If you want get set some other ideas near Melbourne try looking at the Melbourne Bushwalkers photogallery at http://mbw.org.au/zenphoto/ From the Thumbnails page for a walk you can also follow the link to the Route View which gives a gpx plot on Google Maps for most day walks, with a link too to the elevation profile too.
rimair
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 23 Sep, 2012 2:59 pm

the Werribee gorge state park has some good day walks . Take a day pack with water and food. It is not far from Melbourne. It is near Bacchus Marsh . I was there yesterday, again!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby rimair » Fri 28 Sep, 2012 1:36 pm

Bushwalking Victoria continue to expand their database of walk descriptions, starting with those from the Federation series. So far they have 157 walks, including 96 day walks. Access to full details requires registration. “From 1 January access will only be available by a paid subscription for $14.50, by becoming a Bushwalking Victoria Individual Member or by joining an affiliated bushwalking club.” Until 1 January registration is free.

http://www.bushwalkingvictoria.org.au/w ... index.html
rimair
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria