Mt Howitt to Mt Speculation

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Howitt to Mt Speculation

Postby dylan_s » Tue 23 Oct, 2012 10:11 am

I was thinking of walking from Mt Howitt to Mt Speculation and back during the Christmas Holidays. Does anyone know what the snake situation will be like in the area during that time? I heard it gets a little out of control with copperheads.

Any advice?
dylan_s
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Howitt to Mt Speculation

Postby north-north-west » Tue 23 Oct, 2012 6:55 pm

I've never seen snakes on the Crosscut itself, Or on Howitt or the top of Speculation.
Also, worrying about snakes is pretty silly. It really is true that 99.999% of the time they're far more afraid of you than you are of them. You aren't on their menu so as long as you don't corner or harass them they (usually) won't be any danger to you.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby pete0762 » Tue 23 Oct, 2012 10:14 pm

Very nice walk and was up this area last November and will heading out there again during Cup week, if weather is reasonable.

I have seen some snakes in this area though, certainly a Copperhead near Mt Speculation and a Tiger Snake near Vallejo Gantner Hut. And seen many, many snakes during my other buswalks in the past but they were never of concern, even though I was getting very close to them at times. But as said they will bugger off and do not want to get too close to you.
As long as you watch where you are walking it is not much of an issue, and I am only concerned when I go walking with my dogs (outside NPs of course), but did not have issues with that either so far, but encountered plenty of snakes then as well.
regards

Peter
pete0762
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Tortoise » Tue 23 Oct, 2012 10:45 pm

Have been there too many times to count, often in summer, saw the odd snake, but no more than anywhere else. No problem. Beautiful spot :)

Had a bit of a freak-out camped on Speculation once, but that was about bushfires (a bit silly to have gone in what turned out to be a total fire ban). Fortunately the snow during the night settled things nicely. :lol:
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby madmacca » Wed 24 Oct, 2012 11:18 pm

Speculation would not be a good place to be in a fire scare, as the only easy/fast way out of there is to the north (wrong way to go in a fire).
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby dylan_s » Thu 25 Oct, 2012 6:11 am

Thanks for the advice! I'll admit that I am a bit of a scaredycat when it comes to snakes but that's just something i'll have to work on if I want to be able to experience all these amazing places. So far, I've managed to limit my bushwalking expeditions to spring and autumn, hence limiting my exposure to undesirable woodland creatures.
I'll definitely have to check the fire danger level before I head out.

Would you recommend starting the walk at howitt plains or at speculation? Being a total city rat, I drive a ford fiesta, which, although very pretty, might not be able to withstand long drives on 4wd tracks. I understand the start from the south would involve a significant stretch of unsealed road. Would this be the case if I started from the north? Is there a carpark at the start of the track?
dylan_s
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby madmacca » Thu 25 Oct, 2012 8:48 pm

Circuit Rd out of Telephone Box junction is easily navigable in a 2WD, even a (cough) Ford Fiesta. :D

Perhaps leave your car somewhere on Circuit Rd, and walk in/out via Bindaree Rd and Peters Corner or Speculation Rd?
madmacca

Postby north-north-west » Sat 27 Oct, 2012 7:53 am

dylan_s wrote:Thanks for the advice! I'll admit that I am a bit of a scaredycat when it comes to snakes but that's just something i'll have to work on if I want to be able to experience all these amazing places. So far, I've managed to limit my bushwalking expeditions to spring and autumn, hence limiting my exposure to undesirable woodland creatures.
I'll definitely have to check the fire danger level before I head out.

Would you recommend starting the walk at howitt plains or at speculation? Being a total city rat, I drive a ford fiesta, which, although very pretty, might not be able to withstand long drives on 4wd tracks. I understand the start from the south would involve a significant stretch of unsealed road. Would this be the case if I started from the north? Is there a carpark at the start of the track?

Your Fiesta would have trouble getting past the Cobbler Lake turnoff, much less up to the Speculation carpark. And the top of Bindaree Rd can be awkward. While the Howitt Road can be slow going, it's 2WDable all the way in (unless there's snow). It's the easiest way in and the walk across MacAllister Saddle is brilliant.

Stick to the track and the open patches, and make plenty of noise, you'll scare off any snakes. Unless you run across the one I met last Sunday morning . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby ryantmalone » Sun 04 Nov, 2012 5:31 pm

dylan_s wrote:I was thinking of walking from Mt Howitt to Mt Speculation and back during the Christmas Holidays. Does anyone know what the snake situation will be like in the area during that time? I heard it gets a little out of control with copperheads.

Any advice?

Been hiking the area since I was a little one, seen many snakes, never been bitten.

Something like 90% of snake bites in the country are as a result of people trying to mess around and catch them, in most cases, they are as scared of us as we are of them. If you're worried about snakes, just keep an eye on where your feet are going, give any that you see a wide berth, and wear long pants, good tough canvas gaiters, or both as an extra safety measure.

Either way, the Crosscut is one of my favourite walks in the country. Don't let a fear of snakes get in the way of that.
ryantmalone

Return to Victoria