week long track above snow line

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

week long track above snow line

Postby nate » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 11:13 am

I am hoping to do a week long hike above the snow line this winter. Is this possible for something like the australian alps track. Is there a reasonable week long section, all which on average has snow? Or is the snow more islands, along the track. I not so intrested in just going somewhere and camping for a week. I would like to actually spend most of the day walking.
nate
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Re: week long track above snow line

Postby andrewbish » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 11:58 am

Yes, plenty of snow in winter on the AAWT.

Do a search (see top right of page) on AAWT and you will find gold.

Here's a link to get you started.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby madmacca » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 10:29 pm

Mt Hotham across to Mt Willis, and Kiandra to Thredbo should both be above the snowline in a reasonable snow year. Both of these would really require either snowshoes or X-C skis, rather than just walking.

Rumpff Saddle across to Mt Hotham is generally above 1200 m, but does have some (extended) dips down to 1000m. 1000m is generally reckoned as being around the snowline ie. does get regular snow, but probably won't retain it for 1-2 weeks between snowfalls. If you were prepared to do some walking, this would be an awesome backcountry winter trip (probably more than 1 week though) - odds are you wouldn't see any more than 1 other groups along the way. Up and down the Viking in winter though would not be for the faint hearted. And access would be problematic, as Jamieson-Licola Rd is closed in winter.
madmacca

Postby ryantmalone » Sat 02 Mar, 2013 5:29 pm

nate wrote:I am hoping to do a week long hike above the snow line this winter. Is this possible for something like the australian alps track. Is there a reasonable week long section, all which on average has snow? Or is the snow more islands, along the track. I not so intrested in just going somewhere and camping for a week. I would like to actually spend most of the day walking.

Its possible, just hope that your navigation skills are up to scratch.

I'd suggest that the line from Low Saddle right through to Mt Willis would be 80% snow bound in the middle of winter, and that would make up more than a weeks walking. You'd get large sections where the track is covered in snow, excluding the odd saddle here and there.

A classic line would be from Hotham to Willis. Navigation is via snow poles, most of the track is under snow in Winter, and plenty of huts for refuge if the weather turns seriously foul. Amazing country too.
ryantmalone

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 03 Mar, 2013 10:02 am

Sure, do you already own snowshoes or skis
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby nate » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks for the ideas. No I do not own snowshoes or skis, but may hire/buy snowshoes if I need. I am hoping they don't take long to figure out. How should Kiandra to Thredbo take in winter ? compared to how long for Hotham to Willis. These 2 sounds like great options.
nate
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: South Australia

Postby ryantmalone » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 2:40 pm

nate wrote:Thanks for the ideas. No I do not own snowshoes or skis, but may hire/buy snowshoes if I need. I am hoping they don't take long to figure out. How should Kiandra to Thredbo take in winter ? compared to how long for Hotham to Willis. These 2 sounds like great options.

Wait. Have you got any experience walking in Winter?

If you're looking at spending a week above the snowline in Winter, I'd highly recommend that you get some experience on snow shoes first. Maybe a couple of short trips, and then go from there.
ryantmalone

Region: Tasmania

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 05 Mar, 2013 6:51 pm

In winter on skis I have on one occasion done Hotham to Falls Creek in 2 very easy days, on another occasion it took 5 very hard ones. I second getting in some relatively easy winter experience before tackling something like this. Snow camping is 2 orders of magnitude more difficult because you simply cannot bank on the weather being benign and stable.
Read all the posts on winter camping and gearing up and get back to us afterward. PM me if you want an easy introduction and can make it to Falls Creek
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewbish » Wed 06 Mar, 2013 7:31 am

Agree with the comments re getting experience with trekking in snow. Mt St Gwinear (near Walhalla) & MtStirling (near Mt Buller) are two good locations for getting some practice.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Return to Victoria