Grand Strzelecki Track

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Grand Strzelecki Track

Postby nicocre » Sat 02 Mar, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi All

We have a small group heading off to do the GST Park to Park in late March. We are after info from anyone who has done it. Mainly:
- What's the track condition like?
- Campsites / rest areas between the two main ones at Jumbuck and Mt Hikcory
- Best direction to do it in etc.

Cheers
nicocre
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Grand Strzelecki Track

Postby MartyGwynne » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 10:24 am

Hi My bushwalk club SBWC have done it (I haven't yet)
Here is a link for you to look up a trip report.
Melbourne Cup Weekend - Grand Strzelecki Track
http://www.sbwc.org.au/TripReviews.htm

It may be of help.
Marty
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewbish » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 12:10 pm

MartyGwynne wrote:Hi My bushwalk club SBWC have done it (I haven't yet)
Here is a link for you to look up a trip report.
Melbourne Cup Weekend - Grand Strzelecki Track
http://www.sbwc.org.au/TripReviews.htm
It may be of help.
Marty

Marty - I had a look at the link - your club has done some interesting walks!
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby anne3 » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 6:52 pm

Have walked track in both directions.
-Camped at the Jumbuck campsite, which was well off the road, there is no water or toilets. It was a nice grassy campsite with enough room for a group.
-The track had a few wind fallen trees which need to be climbed over or under.
-In October there was enough water in the creek to have wet shoes for that section.
-A lot of the track is on fire trails where you can walk side by side.
-I prefer to go up hill so I liked starting at Morwell National Park.
-When I walked in the other direction (down hill) it was on a school camp with year 10 students, it was an easy walk for beginners.
-Track was well marked and easy to follow
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 04 Mar, 2013 10:24 pm

In December we walked from Morwell NP to just past Billy Creek Falls and returned due to fading light. We had hoped to reach Jumbuck Rest Area but started a bit late in the day. As Anne3 said the track is well marked and in good condition although in some sections there were plenty of blackberries. There were also plenty of creek crossings (keep your eyes open for fresh water crayfish). The only part of the track we didn't enjoy was the leeches. I have never seen so many in my life. As soon as I got one off another two would appear. Had itchy legs for days. Apart from that it was great day and looking forward to completing the rest of it soon.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby nicocre » Thu 07 Mar, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks everyone for the info. Great feedback!
I think we will head off from Pattinson Rest Area (is this the same as Goomballa Rest area?) and head to Morwell with o'night at Jumbuck.
Sounds like we need to take lots of insect repellant & salt!

Cheers
nicocre
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby anne3 » Mon 11 Mar, 2013 9:10 pm

Please note Grand Strzelecki Track was shut today due to fire in the area. Please check web site before visiting.
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby anne3 » Thu 21 Mar, 2013 8:31 pm

Please note Grand Strzelecki Track has reopened.
Walking the walk
anne3
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby nicocre » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi All
Thanks for all the advice. We had an interesting walk last weekend. Missed one of the markers and ended up off the map :( Unfortunately we walked back out after overnight camp so didn't see the Billy Creek Section.

Staff at Tarra Bulga Info Centre also informed me there are now 'proper' maps to replace the PDF maps from the website. These maps are much more detailed and cover a wider area. They cost $30 for 4 area maps.

They commented that the Billy Creek section has been cleared, but they reccomend allowing some extra time to complete the section between the car park and Jumbuck campground.

Looking forward to doing it properly soon.
nicocre
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby MickyB » Thu 28 Mar, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi nicocre,
What part of the track did you end up completing?
I noticed that there is an upgraded website now with more info http://www.grandstrzeleckitrack.org.au/
Cheers,
Michael
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby nicocre » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:44 pm

Hi Michael,

Apparently they updated the website the day before we left! Needless to say I must have missed the update by a matter of hours :)
We completed only a very short section in the end, from Pattison Rest Area to where the 4wd track crosses the creek at the bottom of the hill. We then headed 'off the map' (accidentally) and that's where we ended up camping.
Nicole
nicocre
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Gusto » Sun 14 Apr, 2013 11:47 am

I lived near there last year. My partner and I had planned to do a few nights of it last year. But the weather forecasts were horrendous. So instead we have only ever done some short day trips about the area. It's an absolutely stunning part of the Victoria. The rain forest vegetation is beautiful. There are heaps of leeches in the area!!!

The new website would seem to have far less information on it than previously available. I hope I haven't lost any of the maps I printed last year, otherwise I'll need to pay to get them again.
Also there is a facebook page for this track that is kept up to date regarding track closures etc.

https://www.facebook.com/GrandStrzeleckiTrack
Gusto
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Snowzone » Tue 11 Jun, 2013 8:15 pm

Has anyone done this walk in August or September before? Just wondering what the depth of the creek crossings might be. For those that have done the walk what would be the optimum time of year to see the area?
Snowzone

Postby MickyB » Thu 13 Jun, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Snowzone. We walked from Morwell National Park to just past the 2nd falls last December. The water levels then were about half way between ankle and knee deep in the deeper parts. I would say it would be well over knee deep in August & September but a great time to do it. The fern gullies near the falls would look amazing with the new fronds emerging from the tree ferns and the reddish pink fronds on the water ferns.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Snowzone » Fri 04 Apr, 2014 6:38 pm

I finally got to do this walk last weekend and it was beautiful! We walked the Park to Park section starting at Morwell and finishing at Tarra Bulga. It was absolutely delightful with plenty of water flowing in the creek and a fabulous amount of birdlife including Lyrebirds singing their melodious songs.
There is now a great new toilet and water available at Jumbuck camp area. The track is currently clear of fallen trees but has plenty of nettles to give you that 'tingly feeling' late at night. We have also left many of the multitude of leeches well fed to ensure a healthy population for following walkers.
Snowzone

Postby MickyB » Fri 04 Apr, 2014 9:50 pm

Great to hear you enjoyed it Snowzone. It is a beautiful area. We were in the Strzelecki's last week (not too far from the GST) and couldn't believe how many leches there were. We could actually see them moving on the ground as we walked. The nettles are also a big problem down there, more so than blackberries. I have never found blackberries to be a big problem in those ranges but the nettles seem to be everywhere.

We also saw plenty of lyrebirds when we drove around Tarra Bulga. We saw approximately 30 of them within 20 minutes of driving. There must be a very healthy population in that area.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby sass2012 » Sun 14 Oct, 2018 1:30 pm

I completed the [GST_Grand-Strzelecki-Track] at 14:20 hours on 13-Oct-18.

I tackled the walk in sections (work and life commitments take priority so I had to fit my hikes around these).

The track is very well signed and structured (to the point where I found it boring cause the navigational challenges were almost non-existent)...but I mean this in a positive way, it's a doable walk for all levels of fitness and skills.

The greatest part of the walk was the change of vegetation and wildlife encountered.

I carried a topographic map and also loaded the electronic version of the topographic map loaded into the [Avenza] maps on my mobile as-well as a Garmin62s GPS and compass.

Luckily the leeches were far and few between, I did wear full length pants and shirts with gaiters sprayed with plenty of ‘Bushmans spray’.
The Park-To-Park section running along [Billy's Creek] is the only section which was a little overgrown but it wasn't too bad..
Felt the tingly sensation of stinging nettles and blackberry's though so take care and wear full length clothing.

Happy to share out the GPX of the trips and answer any questions relating to this walk if anyone is interested, PM me.
sass2012
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Return to Victoria