Croajingolong Coastal Walk organisation...

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Croajingolong Coastal Walk organisation...

Postby Dutchy » Tue 03 Sep, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi guys,
I'm hoping to do the Croajingolong walk in a couple of months with a friend. We'll have 5 days and hoping to knock the 85 km over the head in that time. Our initial problem is the 'one-way' fact.... Has anyone done this walk without a car shuffle of some sort? Is there a public transport option? Or local service? I dont feel like driving 2 cars up for 2 people.... I read a rather strange blog (couldnt get myself to read all the weird babble) but it mentioned a 50 km stretch without (fresh) water!?!?! Any truth to that in spring?
Cheers,
Dutchy
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Croajingolong Coastal Walk organisation...

Postby SteveJ » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 10:04 am

Sadly It is either car shuffle or hitch back to your start point as there are no transport services available.

It is a very dry part of the world, several dry campsites that require you to carry enough water for 24 hours between water supplies. Get a copy of

Walking the Wilderness Coast
Lakes Entrance to Eden
By Peter Cook, Chris David

it is all in there.

also look at
http://www.wildcoast.net.au/cgi-bin/content.pl

This was my last walk from Mallacoota to Winghams inlet, it was very dry but we took the packrafts to explore all the waterwats and to fetch water from the creek inflows that are otherwise inacessible (I know it's cheating but...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNjnMNihWp0

It is a greatly underated part of the world

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Out_Walking » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 10:38 am

Dutchy wrote: I read a rather strange blog (couldnt get myself to read all the weird babble) but it mentioned a 50 km stretch without (fresh) water!?!?! Any truth to that in spring?

Unfortunately the weird blog with all the babble is mine. Oh well, it beats the dry as biscuits approach in writing with most outdoor blogs. Anyway, my method was I left my car with Tony Grey in Mallacoota (local who helps walkers out. Give him a call. I've his number if you need it). Caught the bus from Mallacoota to Genoa, which then meets the bus (Vline I think) which took me to Cabbage Creek Store. Then got a lift from the owners of Cape Conron Coastal Cabins (rang them a week before and they offered their services without me asking) who got me to the walk start at Cape Conron. All up it took no more than four hours. Anyone you speak to down there are helpful, so the saga was quite painless.

The 50 km thing about no water wasn't from me, that's what Parks Vic Mallacoota office told me. I was dubious as well, but went prepared. Until Thurra River the only water I picked up was at Clinton Rocks Creek and Bemm River. I was forced to go to Bemm River as Sydenham Inlet was open, so the bonus was getting a top-up there. That's about it.

Hope you have fun. I didn't see anyone for days.
Out_Walking
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Postby SteveJ » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 11:42 am

If it is any consulation, I really enjoyed your blog on that trip, it was your first blog and I reckon you did a great job of it :-) It is intresting how different perceptions of a walk can be, I walk a lot in that part of the world (as I live nearby) and don't find it as difficult as you experienced. I would urge you do revisit in spring or Autumn perhaps, I think you would have a better experince. The other end (Nadgee) is a really lovely walk.

Steve
SteveJ
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Out_Walking » Wed 04 Sep, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks Steve! Blogging is hit and miss anyway. The thing is, if I wrote 'by the numbers' approach to walks I'd send myself to sleep. Most walks are in a book and if you need a standard read of a route you'd find the info in there. Blogging is a chance to be the complete opposite!

Yeah, definitely on paper I didn't think it would be that hard. I guess I underestimated how bad the weather can be when it turns along the coast in winter down there. I've never experienced a night of insanity like the one at Clinton Rocks Creek. The rain and wind was impressive. It all started to add up in the end and I've never been so happy to see my car at the end of a walk :) The second last day where I fell off the rocks was a drainer and I'd contemplated never walking again! I'd booked the Walls of Jerusalem & hike to Cradle Mountain the following week after this hike and as I lay freezing in my sleeping bag I considered cancelling it.

Thankfully, sanity prevailed and a couple of days spent at home with the heater on and I was alright. Actually, in hindsight I was wondering what the fuss was, but that's always the way, isn't it?!

I contemplated Mallacoota to Eden this year, but it didn't happen. It's still on my radar, as it seems to be a bit more liked than the Victorian section? Anyway, I'll get there sooner or later, but like you said, maybe autumn would make more sense :)
Out_Walking
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Dutchy » Fri 06 Sep, 2013 5:15 pm

Aimless hiking waffle....lol, that was it.... I didnt read it because i was on the hunt for straight up facts not interpretations of..... and so on! No offence meant! I waffle enough myself!
Seems i might have to do some ring arounds or decide to head up with 2 cars after all.... We dont really have time to fart around, I'm driving up Thursday night (late arrival) and hope to head off early Friday..... Will do some reading up on whether or not 5 days is do-able....
Cheers guys
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Hallu » Fri 06 Sep, 2013 5:21 pm

Try here for a more factual account : http://hike-australia.com/category/croa ... onal-park/
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby tommy-wedge-tail » Wed 01 Nov, 2017 4:51 pm

@out_walking

Hi there! I'm new to this forum but have found it really useful. Re. Your comment: Anyway, my method was I left my car with Tony Grey in Mallacoota (local who helps walkers out. Give him a call. I've his number if you need it).

I was wondering if Tony still helped walkers with the issue of getting back to Mallacoota from Bemm River? If so, I'd love to get in touch! Cheers
tommy-wedge-tail
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria