Camping fees for Victorian National Parks

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Camping fees for Victorian National Parks

Postby vicrev » Wed 03 Sep, 2014 4:34 pm

No use talking about it,have to try & do something,sent a letter off last night,maybe in the slammer in the next couple of days :shock: ......keep smiling. :) ......Vicrev
vicrev
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Hallu » Wed 03 Sep, 2014 6:26 pm

Well Parks VIC must have some politicians at their head pulling the strings. I'm not blaming the "soldiers" who do all the work, ie the rangers, volunteers etc... but it's only by showing you opinion on Parks VIC Facebook or webpage that other people will be aware of the issue... Because so far, it's been quietly introduced but they haven't said "big news ! 150 % increase on all camping fees !" on their website... so most people don't know about it.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 03 Sep, 2014 9:20 pm

north-north-west wrote:
Hallu wrote: ... if Parks VIC weren't so stupid...

Please do not blame PV for this - it's a political decision, just like the OT fees and booking system, and PV have no say in the matter other than to try to implement it as best they can. If you want to slag someone off, heap all the abuse on the politicians.

+1

I'd go further and sympathise with PV at the absurd situation they are now in.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Hallu » Wed 03 Sep, 2014 11:33 pm

Yeah people simply need to NOT book anything, have cash money for an amount equal to the OLD regular fee, and give it to the ranger in person when they see him. No way he's gonna fine you after talking to you. If it were done in France, they'd simply not pay *&%$#! and litter the campgrounds, vandalizing toilets and signs... But then again, honesty boxes would never work in France. I found Australia beautiful for that : you just drive into a campground, and put some money in a box. Or you see a fruit stand by the side of the road, take some fruit and pay for it in the box. In France ? Yeah we have it, but it is 20 locked up thick glass compartments with a 24/7 credit card/cash machine, only available in the rare places where farmers gather around the idea to pay for it. Don't push Aussies over the edge. I mean, I think we all agree on that : if they REALLY need money that badly, we'd rather pay for park entry than having a 150 % increase in camping fees. Just bring park fees and annual passes back. It'll make people proud of displaying the VIC annual pass on the car, instead of making them ashamed of being charged 35 $ for 10 m² of dirt...
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby David M » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 7:58 am

I suspect that camping and bushwalking are minority interests and how many politicians know anything about this hobby? Indeed, how many politicians know anything on any topic....?
David M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 8:13 am

David M wrote:I suspect that camping and bushwalking are minority interests and how many politicians know anything about this hobby? Indeed, how many politicians know anything on any topic....?

I disagree david, camping is big business, bushwalkers are not the only campers, don't forget anglers, hunters, 4WD'ers, general car tourists, cyclists. There is a lot of people that this has an impact on
and the majority will have no idea what has happened until they go to camp at the "traditional annual camping spot" with family or friends.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Earwig » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 8:48 am

Lophophaps wrote: What this stupid set of rules should have had is a RIS, Regulatory Impact Statement, which assesses the good and bad points, usually with public input. Based on the RIS the legislation or regulation is or should be changed.

There was an RIS. Have a read of the earlier posts of this thread, which started back at the RIS stage. I believe the public response included oppostion from users from hikers to grey nomads, and support from private camping operators who saw it as a levelling of the playing field.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 11:17 am

Earwig wrote:There was an RIS. Have a read of the earlier posts of this thread, which started back at the RIS stage. I believe the public response included oppostion from users from hikers to grey nomads, and support from private camping operators who saw it as a levelling of the playing field.

Thanks, I forgot. The RIS Fact sheet at
http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/__data/asset ... -Sheet.pdf
says that for basic and very basic camp sites (Unserviced, minimal ranger patrols, typically no booking service, pit or no pit toilets) the fees are $19.30 for a site of up to six people and $9.73 for one person. This is somewhat lower than the current fees. Was the RIS for real or just to say that there had been a RIS?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby vicrev » Thu 04 Sep, 2014 12:34 pm

Moan/whinge & groan.......DO .....SOMETHING.....ABOUT.......IT !!!!!! :roll: ........KEEP SMILING :) ....vICREV
vicrev

Postby MartyGwynne » Sun 07 Sep, 2014 3:40 pm

Well I must say thet I have had few replies to my email sent out to about 20 people, one was an out of office reply stating they would be back the week or two before I sent the letter. I have also had a reply from parks Vic giving me an email address to send my letter/email to, which was surprising to me to even get the light of day from them. I had a reply from the shadow minister who was grateful to be able to use it to help formulate their environmental policy in the nov election.
Interesting comment about what you do if the car rego is unknown, maybe we could use DONTNO....
Keep up the letter writing to parks Vic and the politicians.
I heard there is a group disputing the fees along the ninety mile beach at golden beach, they were on the local gippsland ABC radio station. So I think now there is a lot more 'noise' being made about it now, especially with summer coming up.
Marty.
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby walkerchris77 » Sun 07 Sep, 2014 7:06 pm

Or rego of " RIPOFF"
walkerchris77

Postby peregrinator » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 8:59 am

MartyGwynne wrote:Well I must say thet I have had few replies to my email sent out to about 20 people, one was an out of office reply stating they would be back the week or two before I sent the letter. I have also had a reply from parks Vic giving me an email address to send my letter/email to [snip]Marty.

Marty, are you able to advise others of this address so that they can send messages as well?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MartyGwynne » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 5:31 pm

Um not sure if I should post it
I guess if you tried a few @parks.vic.gov.au email addresses you would not be too far off it or pm me.
MartyGwynne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vicrev » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 7:59 pm

Politicians hold the purse strings,not parks Vic,send your gripes to them ,tell them you will vote for the opposing member next election if they don't do something about the fees.When they realize they could loose their trips,perks etc they sometimes extractus indexus & do something about the situation.......keep smiling :) .........Vicrev
vicrev

Postby walkerchris77 » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 8:35 pm

vicrev wrote:Politicians hold the purse strings,not parks Vic,send your gripes to them ,tell them you will vote for the opposing member next election if they don't do something about the fees.When they realize they could loose their trips,perks etc they sometimes extractus indexus & do something about the situation.......keep smiling :) .........Vicrev

yes but im sure mr ranger could turn the occasional blind eye and not charge the bushwalker having a snooze in his tent or are they like ticket inspectors and get commission on every fee.
walkerchris77

Postby Hallu » Mon 08 Sep, 2014 9:06 pm

What's alarming and I don't think it's been mentioned or discussed, is that such prices will discourage people from camping. The parks, which are supposed to be opened to everyone, will actually be, as Tony A. would love to say, "locked up". This is supposed to help Parks VIC collect more money, but with decreased attendance, it's actually possible that Parks VIC will collect LESS money...
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby cherryw » Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:59 pm

Check out the Hotham to Falls trip. $30 per night for 2. What a ripoff.
http://www.parkstay.vic.gov.au/falls-to-hotham-alpine-crossing#/accom/65896
Last time I looked there were no toilets at cope hut site so what are you paying for?
How many are going to pay $60 to do this? :twisted:
"We are not actually lost,....... just temporarily misplaced."
cherryw
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby vicrev » Tue 16 Sep, 2014 8:04 pm

When our useless politicians come knocking on your door ,in the next few weeks ( the only time you see them is before an upcoming election, all smiles & swarmy attitude at your front door) ask them if they know about ...The Great Park Fee Ripoff....my bet is they will stammer & stutter an answer or, say they will get back to you when they have more information ( don't hold your breath)...........keep smiling :) .....Vicrev
vicrev

Postby Snowzone » Thu 23 Oct, 2014 7:30 pm

I'm still coming across far too many people who are oblivious to these new fees. Unfortunately its probably going to hit them on their xmas/summer camping trips before they find out, and that will be after the election.
Snowzone

Postby cam_mcd » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 5:54 pm

Booked Sealers Cove for 2 nights this long weekend a few months ago. Due to bad winds, rain and hail have abandoned the trip.
Parks Vic Cancellation Policy: 30 days prior 50% cancellation fee. Less than 30 days prior 100% cancellation fee.
Awesome, should have waved my magical wand to stop the wind gusts and hail so I could go and not lose my whole camp fee
cam_mcd
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby vicrev » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 6:57 pm

I do not know how they can justify 100% cancelation fee.....what a rip off !!....... :shock:
vicrev

Postby icefest » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 7:06 pm

cam_mcd wrote:Booked Sealers Cove for 2 nights this long weekend a few months ago. Due to bad winds, rain and hail have abandoned the trip.
Parks Vic Cancellation Policy: 30 days prior 50% cancellation fee. Less than 30 days prior 100% cancellation fee.
Awesome, should have waved my magical wand to stop the wind gusts and hail so I could go and not lose my whole camp fee

But isn't it similar to a hotel?

I wish it were different too, but I can understand the logic. I do think you should get a refund if they manage to re-book it though.
If the cost burns you can always try to find travel insurance that'll cover the cancellations.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby dplanet » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 10:44 pm

Snowzone wrote:I'm still coming across far too many people who are oblivious to these new fees.

+ my friend and me, and we will write to those in charge after the election.
dplanet

Postby bmak » Sun 02 Nov, 2014 10:53 pm

Long weekend and I've noticed some very quiet camps that would normally be busy. Don't think it's to do with the weather
bmak
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 7:28 am

icefest wrote:
cam_mcd wrote:Booked Sealers Cove for 2 nights this long weekend a few months ago. Due to bad winds, rain and hail have abandoned the trip.

But isn't it similar to a hotel?

I wish it were different too, but I can understand the logic. I do think you should get a refund if they manage to re-book it though.
If the cost burns you can always try to find travel insurance that'll cover the cancellations.

I appreciate that you are not comparing a bit of grass with no power or in some cases a bit of sand or dirt with a long drop dunny to a hotel icefest but even caravan parks have cancellation policies that amount to the forfeit of a deposit of one nights accomodation not the whole lot.

As far as rebookings amounting to a refund are concerned :roll: was that a pig I saw fly by. :shock:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby vicrev » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 9:58 am

Hotels have better cancellation policies than Parks Vic & they are purely in it for profit................
vicrev

Postby Hallu » Mon 03 Nov, 2014 8:26 pm

Hotels are more likely to have a 1 week prior policy, and usually they take 30% not 100% for less than 1 week prior cancellation...
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby dplanet » Tue 04 Nov, 2014 12:26 pm

bmak wrote:Long weekend and I've noticed some very quiet camps that would normally be busy. Don't think it's to do with the weather

A possibility.
dplanet

Postby ErichFromm » Wed 26 Nov, 2014 6:44 am

I noticed last week the free MX paper they give out in the city had a full false front page promoting vic national parks and the intent to expand them.

Seems like a basic business approach: increase your fees and then market for new customers so you can pull in lots of revenue...

Nice to know our parks are just parking meters now, revenue raisers...
ErichFromm
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby GPSGuided » Wed 26 Nov, 2014 7:25 am

What can they do when the govt cuts or freezes budget whilst wages/costs continue to rise and services are expected to continue and improve? We voters are responsible for the govt and ideologies we voted in.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Victoria