Crinoline (Mt Ligar) and Long Hill, volunteer track work

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Re: Crinoline (Mt Ligar) and Long Hill, volunteer track work

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 25 Dec, 2013 8:45 pm

I would applaud anybody who can help renovate this track. It is a great walk in a superb area but it is very tough going , often at 1 km per hour on one's hands and knees at present.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Postby gbedford » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 8:24 pm

I walked up past the Crinoline last Easter Monday. Didn't end up going much further than the old campsite as we ran out of time and they were burning off further down the ridge near the Sugarloaf.
More people had walked the route as the track was a little clearer and there were more cairns. We added a few and marked the campsite. I would have liked to mark a route down to the creek. It will have to wait.
gbedford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby olderwalker » Tue 27 May, 2014 9:10 am

Has the Long hill work eventuated? I am an older walker and often walk alone. I only use traditional navigation. Not sure how to work a gps! I do carry a PLB. I tried the crinoline long hill circuit about 18 mths ago. Coed in a clearing on long hill. Wad late and getting dark. Could find no ongoing track. Woke to frost and snow so turned back. I would so love to complete the circuit. Had no trouble with water. Would love to know current status.
olderwalker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby madmacca » Tue 27 May, 2014 3:25 pm

Dutchy wrote:ps, how bad is Koonika? Was hoping to do Koonika and Speculation soon....

My knowledge of this is now 18 months old, but the initiial climb from the King River valley up to the 902 is really messy with regrowth - virtually no chance of following an established trail (I have seen a number of others with similar comments on this climb). I was able to follow a series of random short animal pads with some bushbashing in between. As long as you start in roughly the right place, and keep heading upwards, you will get to the top of the 902. From there, the spur can be followed easily enough and the going is pretty reasonable. Of course, there are a number of scrambles towards the top of King Spur, but then again, there always has been.
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby gbedford » Tue 27 May, 2014 8:41 pm

Hello Olderwalker,

Join the club of the oldies like me. The track work hasn't eventuated but it is certainly clearer up to and over The Crinoline and some way towards Long Hill. I am sure you could continue on like I did last year. It is just a matter of sticking to the ridge line until the cave. After that the track is clear to the Tamboritha junction. It is long way down that McMillans to Breakfast Creek and the track is vague in places.
gbedford
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby olderwalker » Sat 31 May, 2014 10:55 pm

did any more work on the Long Hill section get done? does anyone know?
I tried to walk it nearly 2 years ago, but turned back after camping the night on Long Hill, due to snow and unable to find a track towards Mt Tamboritha
I am a lone female older walker, I only use map and compass and never advance if not absolutely sure. having said that, I have had few of the troubles I have read that others have had. (e g I had no problems coming off S Viking and finding the spur down to the Wonangatta river.
olderwalker
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Dutchy » Wed 23 Jul, 2014 5:14 pm

Maybebe ring the Heyfield parks Vic office, they coordinate that area...
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Tue 31 May, 2016 1:37 pm

Has anyone done the circuit from Breakfast Creek taking in Crinoline, Long Hill, Tamboritha, McMillans Track recently? I'm considering this for Queen's B'day long weekend. I don't mind some scrub bashing but there'll be a relative newbie and an anti-scrub walker coming along, so I want to avoid anything too nasty. I'm sure I read somewhere that the track conditions had improved but I don't know where that was...
I'm planning on doing it as a 3 day walk with a late-ish start on the Saturday.
Drew

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 31 May, 2016 7:07 pm

If anyone gets up there before October 2016 then please tell me. I have moved my trek along this route to mid October 2016. I know where those camp sites are on Long Hill Plateau, as described above . I have heard King Spur is a horrid bush bash these days, just wrong ! .The snow season is coming so Mt Spec. will be possibly snow bound soon.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby damoprz » Tue 31 May, 2016 10:11 pm

I went about a year ago. It was pretty bad from Tamboritha down. The walk up to and across Long hill wasn't too bad. I don't know if it is a walk for Newbies.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 10:16 am

That circuit including Mt Ligar , Long Hill and Mc Millans track is not for a newbie and not for anti scrub basher. Take them to the Southern Prom circuit . It will be empty in June and you won't scare these two bipeds off from trekking with you again.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks guys. Maybe best to give it a miss then. Both the newbie and the anti-scrub basher have done the Prom. Looking for something that I haven't done (or have only done once) but not too hard for the newbie. I still have a few ideas...
Drew

Postby north-north-west » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 5:07 pm

Grampians? I'd suggest the Bogong High Plains but parking will likely be prohibitive that weekend what with the opening of the ski season.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby onward » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 5:15 pm

I did it in Nov 2015 as 3 days and 2 nights. Steep climb to Mt Ligar, not something I would take a new person who I wanted to hike again on even as a day walk, unless they were already fit. I found a bit of trouble getting back off the summit and back on the trail to the North. Someone had done some tracking clearing to the Mt Tamboritha turn off. I wouldn't have thought that I would have called any of the trip ‘Bush Bashing’. But given I took a new hiker to Mt Feathertop along the Razorback and found that pushed their limits, I wouldn't take someone new to hiking around that circuit. In saying that, I thought it was a brilliant walk, love the open areas across Tamboritha and Little Tamboritha.
onward
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 6:23 pm

Grampians? I'd suggest the Bogong High Plains but parking will likely be prohibitive that weekend what with the opening of the ski season.

Yeah, BHP was the original idea but it seemed too hard/expensive to go where I wanted with the ski season opening. Current plan is Tali Karng with The Fortress or Little Desert as back ups if the weather is too bad for the alps. The newbie is wavering in her enthusiasm however so it mightn't happen at all - or maybe it'll just be me doing the Crinoline!

I did it in Nov 2015 as 3 days and 2 nights. Steep climb to Mt Ligar, not something I would take a new person who I wanted to hike again on even as a day walk, unless they were already fit. I found a bit of trouble getting back off the summit and back on the trail to the North. Someone had done some tracking clearing to the Mt Tamboritha turn off. I wouldn't have thought that I would have called any of the trip ‘Bush Bashing’. But given I took a new hiker to Mt Feathertop along the Razorback and found that pushed their limits, I wouldn't take someone new to hiking around that circuit. In saying that, I thought it was a brilliant walk, love the open areas across Tamboritha and Little Tamboritha.

Thanks onward, good to know for future reference. I'd like to do it at some stage. It's especially appealing as the drive is much shorter than most other walks approached from the Licola side.
Drew

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 01 Jun, 2016 11:44 pm

I spoke to the Ranger on his mob. ph. and he said the track is open but take care because it is a category 5 hike.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 9:22 am

There are categories of hike now?
Drew

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 11:19 am

Drew wrote:There are categories of hike now?

Yes. See
http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/forestry-and ... ing-system

Regardless of any category, it's slightly subjective. What about a cat 1 walk in bad weather? Does a short section of cat 5 in a cat 2 walk vary the category?

My main concern about Tali from McFarlane Saddle is the possibility of snow making it hard to get out on the road. The Fortress seems a safer option.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drew » Thu 02 Jun, 2016 11:38 am

Well there you go, so there are. But yes, certainly subjective and even changeable - a cat 3 could become a cat 5 with fallen trees and bushfire regrowth.

My main concern about Tali from McFarlane Saddle is the possibility of snow making it hard to get out on the road. The Fortress seems a safer option

Yes, if snow looks likely then we won't do Tali.
Drew

Postby scroggin » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 8:32 am

Just returned from the circuit going CCW and there seems to be a number of new looking orange markers (and also red ones on the Mcmillans track). Between them, the ocaasional rock cairns and pink ribbon on trees I had no problems finding my way. The actual track is still hard to follow in parts especially between Long Hill and where it swings south and also the broader spur sections up to Mt Little Tamboritha, but it's very light scrub. All in all a great walk with plenty of water flowing from Long Hill Creek.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 9:34 am

Just returned from the circuit going CCW and there seems to be a number of new looking orange markers (and also red ones on the Mcmillans track). Between them, the ocaasional rock cairns and pink ribbon on trees I had no problems finding my way. The actual track is still hard to follow in parts especially between Long Hill and where it swings south and also the broader spur sections up to Mt Little Tamboritha, but it's very light scrub. All in all a great walk with plenty of water flowing from Long Hill Creek.

Thanks Scroggin - I've got this walk back on the agenda for some time this spring. I'm just not sure if I should do it as a 1 night or 2 night walk? Did you just do the one? If so, whereabouts did you camp?

Thanks
Drew

Postby scroggin » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 12:17 pm

Good question, I did it in one night though not according to plan. The original plan was to ride my bike from Tamboritha Saddle back down to Breakfast Creek, where I would start my walk over the Crinoline and camp at the water source, with the next day along the ridge to my finish point at TS.

What actually happened was I arrived Friday night and camped at BC. In the morning I left my pack at BC as planned, hopped in my car and drove to TS and on the way got stuck behind a truck with a Grader on the back, I thought there is no way I'm riding down this road with this traffic, loose rocks and sheer drop. So once at the TS I turned around and drove back to BC set up camp and drove back to TS with the days essentials. I walked back to BC via the Crinoline with my tent waiting for me at the end. The next day went up McMillans Track with my car waiting for me at that end, it was basically two day walks. I did think it would have been nice when up on the ridge to be able to camp up there, but my mind changed as I was coming down the Crinoline glad I din't have the burden of hauling a heavy pack up the mountain, also the part I would have omitted is worth doing.

I'm of moderate fitness and I wouldn't do the walk in two days with heavy packs, but as it turned out the way I did it was a perfect "overnighter" for me. Conversely you will have to carry water for one of the nights if you did it in three days. I did come across some trickling water, but it could easily dry up after a few dry days/weeks/???.
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 3:13 pm

What we need is Ubiquitous Steve and his Team Bears from Ski dot com to come through this way with his whipper snipper, chain saw and can of fuel. That would have it sorted and all.
I am possibly heading up to hike this route for the first time in maybe 4-5 years later this month. I am prepared for horrific scrub bashing and using the map and compass the whole way from the The rock shelter until I clap eyes on Mt. Ligar itself. This is because my plan is to trek it anticlockwise and leave a car [or two ] at each end.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 10:35 am

I finally got around to doing this walk on the weekend. Just posted a quick trip report.
Drew

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 22 Nov, 2016 8:00 pm

I have put off doing this route again until May 2017.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MulgaBill » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 10:05 am

Completed a traverse of Long Hill Track to Breakfast Ck and Mt Tamboritha circuit during May 2017 and can advise as follows.

Using Breakfast Ck as base camp.
Day 1: Drive up to Dingo Hill track. Commence walk from McMillans Track junction and simply follow the 4WD road to its end where Long Hill Track starts.

LHT is easily followed up to the Rock Shelter which is an amazing feature in its own right. Beyond the rock shelter the track remains "obvious" but care needs to be taken as regrowth is beginning to cover sections of the track. Stone cairns and other man made features tend to show the way. Approx 3- 4 kilometres beyond the Rock Shelter the track appears to disappear! Trick is to stay right and stick to the edge of the escarpment where after a short time the track once again becomes obvious. The official? campsite should also be obvious but did not check out the water situation as intention was to reach Breakfast Creek. The track towards the Crinoline is very rocky and care should be taken traversing this section. There are two approaches to the Crinoline. Head on or around the side - your choice! Once you reach the summit of the Crinoline the track down is straightforward although steep loose gravel sections are involved.

The return down to Breakfast Ck should be obvious but make sure to allow sufficient time to complete this day one circuit (Min 8 - 9 hrs)

Day 2. From Breakfast Creek follow McMillans Track (up towards Mt Tamboritha) The first 4 kilometres of McMillans was cleared and taped during May 2017 by BCWC so should be easy to follow. The middle section of this track remains a work in progress. Once you pass the 2nd dam (it should be obvious) the track becomes relatively clear and upon reaching Little Tamboritha and then Mt Tamboritha it is easy going. Return to Dingo Hill Track and vehicle?. The views along this section of McMillans Track towards Gable End are fantastic. Allow min 6Hrs to complete this section.
MulgaBill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Previous

Return to Victoria