McMillans Track

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

McMillans Track

Postby rocketrm2 » Thu 06 Feb, 2014 4:21 pm

Has anyone done the McMillans Track recently? Have read the on line article covering the entire walk. A great read.
The brochure by DSE is helpful.
Ben Cruachan Walking Club, offers updated info on line. However my email to them has not received response.
Considering doing the walk late April.
Any info any tracks would be welcomed
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: McMillans Track

Postby wazzawalkin » Fri 07 Feb, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi,

Have you seen this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10899

Wazza
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby silicon » Mon 17 Feb, 2014 8:44 am

That is my webpage that you have read on the McMillan's track.

Is there anything in particular that you need to know? Generally the majority of the off road\track stuff is either not maintained and hard to find\follow. It can make for interesting times.

I only managed to get a response from the BCWC via old fashioned snail mail. Last I heard was they were planning to abandon the 25/30 mile Creek route i.e. just follow Dargo High Plains Rd which is the original route.
silicon
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby MulgaBill » Mon 19 Jun, 2017 9:20 am

Over the last few years (2015 - 2017) Ben Cruachan Walking Club has put considerable effort into clearing sections of McMillans Track. Club members completed a traverse of McMillans back in Oct-Nov 2015 covering 220 kilometres over 14 days. An account of their journey can be viewed at:
http://bencruachanwalkingclub.com/image ... _Track.pdf

During 2016-17 the club has managed to clear and mark the Crooked River section of McMillans Track which means it is no longer necessary to walk along the Dargo High Plains Rd and Jeff Davis Spur to access the Crooked River. Access to Crooked River can now be achieved from the northern end via White Timber Spur. In addition McMillans Track from Arbuckle Junction to Kelly Lane has also been cleared. During May 2017 the club cleared and taped 4 kilometres of McMillans from Breakfast Creek up towards Mt Tamboritha which had become heavily overgrown.

Additional sections of the track have also been cleared but it should be noted that a lot of work remains to be done. If you wish to walk the track or sections of the track feel free to contact Ben Cruachan Walking Club via their website for current status of the track etc. See
http://bencruachanwalkingclub.com
MulgaBill
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria