walk to pretty valley hut Falls Creek

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

walk to pretty valley hut Falls Creek

Postby Dutchy » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi guys,
I'm planning to go to Falls creek for a weekend and would like to do both snow shoeing and snow boarding. I'd like to base at pretty valley hut, and do both from there... Walking in on snow shoes, how 'level' is the track from falls creek to the hut? Doesn't seem to be too much elevation gain, but often maps can be a little deceiving...
And what is the hut like?
Thanks
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: walk to pretty valley hut Falls Creek

Postby bailz66 » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 3:26 pm

Heading from Falls to the hut is downhill nearly the whole way though it is only a very slight slope You might be able to board it some of the way.

Once at PV your basically on a flat plain with not many hills around. A small slope all the way down to the lake is ok. On the other side of the lake its a little more hilly but your in the high plains so its not going to be anything very steep.

The hut is simple and used for emergency shelters. There is a table out the back (Possibly under snow this year) and a toilet about 300 metres away.
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Dutchy » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks! What are the surrounds of the hut like? Is there much shelter for tent spots?
Dutchy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Drew » Tue 29 Jul, 2014 10:47 pm

I happened to have this photo sitting on my desktop, so here's a view of Pretty Valley Hut for you. There's a bit of a hill rising up behind the hut (behind where I was standing to take this photo) that gives some shelter from one direction (can't think which direction it is though!). The hut is pretty small but for a few people it's good to shelter in - the little pot belly fire heats up the hut nicely.

If you catch the ski lifts up then it might be all downhill to the hut. Otherwise I'm pretty sure there's a bit of climbing first.
Attachments
Pretty_Valley-1.jpg
Pretty_Valley-1.jpg (260.4 KiB) Viewed 23256 times
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby andrewbish » Wed 30 Jul, 2014 6:09 am

Duchy. There will be a few of us camping at the horse yards on Sat night, only a few hundred metres away from PV hut. You're welcome to join us.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby bailz66 » Wed 30 Jul, 2014 11:15 am

Horse yards probably the best, not too far away from the toilets.

Nice photo, When we were there last year there wasn't much snow and the year before it was a white out.
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Travis22 » Wed 30 Jul, 2014 11:38 am

andrewbish wrote:Duchy. There will be a few of us camping at the horse yards on Sat night, only a few hundred metres away from PV hut. You're welcome to join us.

Hi Andrew, are you guys staying with/ at Moondogs camp? Or is he in a different area?

Are you snow shoeing in there or skiing?

Travis.
Travis22

Postby andrewbish » Wed 30 Jul, 2014 1:37 pm

Travis22 wrote:
andrewbish wrote:Duchy. There will be a few of us camping at the horse yards on Sat night, only a few hundred metres away from PV hut. You're welcome to join us.

Hi Andrew, are you guys staying with/ at Moondogs camp? Or is he in a different area?

Are you snow shoeing in there or skiing?

Travis.

Hi Travis

Yes, staying at MD's camp on Saturday.
(Will be stopping at Mt Beauty on Friday night, to enjoy the big smoke before the less salubrious facilities on offer with Moondog.)
Snow shoeing in from FC, but taking skis also.
Twitter: @andrewbishxplor Blog: Trails & tracks
andrewbish

Postby Giddy_up » Wed 30 Jul, 2014 2:39 pm

Quick thread hijack here.

Where is the best place to hire snowshoes from down that way as I will be joining MD the following weekend for a snowshoe shuffle.
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby bailz66 » Wed 30 Jul, 2014 3:28 pm

Most of the ski stores have snowshoe hire.

We hired ours from Rays ski hire in Myrtleford last year and the year before. They had the best quality shoes but for some reason wanted to charge an extra $30 for poles which are normally included.

Porpunkah, bright, mt beauty and even Falls Creek should have some shoes as well. Just make sure you call up before you go as often they are booked by school groups
bailz66
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Theonlyaidan » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 1:13 am

Hey guys,

My father and I are planning on staying at Pretty Valley Hut camping area for a week in July and I have a few questions.

1 - How long does it take to walk up to Falls Creek from the hut? Do you have to follow the roads or could I shoot a bearing directly to Sun Valley and catch the Scott chair lift.

2 - I currently only own a 3 season tent, would it be safe/comfortable to use this or should I shell out the cash for a decent tent, I just bought a decent sleeping bag so I'm a bit low on cash. I presume the main problem of a 3 season tent would be it's strength, would I be alright if I took the tent down each day so that snow doesn't fall on it when I'm away?

3 - If I bring my own firewood up, is it legal to start a little campfire? I know that there is a fireplace in the hut, but I would really like to have a little campfire.

Thanks in advance!
Theonlyaidan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Western Australia

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 7:02 am

Theonlyaidan, welcome to the forum. In winter I'd allow 2-3 hours Hut-Falls or Falls-Hut. If walking then you must have snow shoes. The road and Ruined Castle will probably be reasonably packed. Away from this, there could be problems walking over bushes. I'd tend to take the road.

Camping in the snow requires a snow tent. You can take a tent down during the day, but what if it snows at night? I've been in heavy night snow falls that just about collapsed my winter tent. Also, in the snow it's not that easy erecting a tent that has been partially taken down and has gear inside.

A campfire in July would be brisk, quite cool. I'm unsure what the rules are about fires if you BYO wood. Carrying in the wood would be arduous.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 8:45 am

I'm assuming you mean July 2017
Weather and fitness dependent 2 to 4 hours has been my experience. Camp fire is nice but dragging in a quarter tonne of wood isn't so be prepared for the cold by making sure you have appropriate gear and make do with what firewood is in the area which isn't much
Depending on the tent it may be suitable Some tents are 3 season because they have mesh not solid inners:- more information needed there as it is not only the frame, there are other factors
Plan for a worst case of -18C if using the Horseyards camp site but often it sits on -3 to -5C
Navigation skills will need to be high as often visibility is 10 metres or less, in good weather it's a doddle, in bad weather life threatening and it does change from one to the other very quickly sometimes
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 8:49 am

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=20196

Take a look at what a small snow storm can do to a 3 season tent
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Theonlyaidan » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 10:21 pm

Okay, understood about the tent, don't want my first snow camping trip to be a nightmare. Does anywhere in the region offer rental of high quality snow tents? That would save me the hassle of buying a tent that I'd have to lug over to Vic every time I want to do this again. My original plan for the trip was a hiking/cross-country ski trip based at Pretty Valley hut but my dad wants to be somewhat close to the resort so he can get up there to ski daily, so I doubt he'd be too chuffed with a 2-3 hour hike. The Parks Victoria website shows that camping is permitted around the dam wall, so I'll probably go a tad east of Roper lookout track, unfortunately there aren't any amenities around there, but we'll make do with using toilets on the resort. If I can't hire a tent, I might buy one of the $200 4 season bivi bags from Kathmandu and my dad can buy his own one (and if you guys don't like that idea, I'll shell out the cash for a proper tent). Anyway, tell me what you think of the updated plan and any extra tips are greatly appreciated.
Theonlyaidan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Theonlyaidan » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 10:42 pm

After a bit of research, it appears that Bogong Equipment in Melbourne offer Tents, and -19 rated sleeping bags for a fair price, I will definitely go with this option over my current -10 sleeping bag and crappy 3 season tent (I probably would have died with that option). This is why I plan 6 months in advance lol.
Theonlyaidan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 7:36 am

Theonlyaidan, there are conflicting aims. Winter walking above 1500 metres means snow shoes. XC skiing means skis. Most people do one or the other. Add being close to Falls Creek for downhill skiing and it gets interesting.

Roper Lookout track is a reasonable compromise. It's close to Falls Creek, sheltered and flat. I'm not sure if camping is permitted close to the aqueduct. One negative about Roper Lookout Track is that it's in shade until mid-morning. A sunnier if more exposed option is to go uphill from the dam wall east for about 10 minutes. There's a series of hollows that catch the sun earlier. This location can be hard to find in poor conditions. At the end of the day returning from Falls Creek, even with a GPS it's possible to ski right past a tent covered in snow. One solution is to hang red fabric at 10 metre intervals either side of the tent in a straight line.

A bivi bag will do in an emergency for one night, but not for several nights in winter.

Ensure that the tent site is flat and stamp it down hard, finishing with sliding skis over it. Make this bigger than the tent, with trenches to toilet areas. A hole in the snow for the vestibule is a good idea.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Theonlyaidan » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 8:39 am

Yeah, I realised the conflicting aims, I was trying to make my dad happy and also hadn't made my mind up for myself. But I think it will just be downhill skiing now and we will hire snowshoes for a day or two to see the things that I want to see in the area. Good idea with the trenches, hadn't thought about that and we will mark at intervals as well as set the location into my GPS. And bivi bag's out of the question now, proper tent and sleeping bags will be hired from Bogong equipment in Melbourne. I'll bring a collapsible snow shovel to prep the tent site. Thanks.
Theonlyaidan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 06 Jan, 2017 10:25 am

PV hut is so close to the runs that on a good day it is only 20 minutes to the foot of Ruined Castle/Scotts ski lifts. assuming skill and a high level of fitness; it takes me much longer than that at the start of each season, at least double until I get my legs back in shape.
You ski up the road to the cattle grid then fall off to the right rather than skiing the road. This is the ski-mobile track for ski patrol and search and rescue access
I use snowshoes when pulling the heavily loaded sled because they have better traction on ice but skis when the load is lower than 60 kilos.
Ask these questions in the equipment forum and we can help get your stuff better organised for winter. You may not need to buy or hire winter bags or tents depending on what you already have. Some of us have extensive experience in this area and we are always happy to offer advice and spend other peoples money.
PM me if you want
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 17 Jan, 2017 11:30 pm

We went up from FC heading for PV hut in early October 2016 and hit the worst weather of the 2016 white season. It was Just rubbish and any more time above the treeline could have been nasty since none of us could feel our hands by that point , it was raining hard , the snow was deep and soft even in snow shoes and visibility was nearly zero , so at the top of Scotty's chair at the shelter near there we decided to turn back to the Village bowl.It was a good decision.
There is always next season.Ask me about Snow camping and snow gear . I had 11 snow trips in 2016 , and I snow camped in at least 5 different places incl. Mt Bogong, Mt Stirling, Edmondson's hut , Fed. Hut and more.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Theonlyaidan » Fri 17 Mar, 2017 9:03 pm

So, flights and buses have been booked, the plan is as follows.

We will catch the bus to Mount Beauty on a Saturday where we'll get snowshoes and stay the night at a campsite there (2 night min at like $35 bucks a night, *&%$#! rediculous) we aren't heading straight up the mountain so we dont have to hike to our campsite in the afternoon and avoid the possibility of setting up in the dark and it gives us a chance to test out our equipment on solid ground (we're hiring tent and -19 rated sleeping bags from Bogong equipment in Melbourne) We then head up to Falls on Sunday morning. We will be camping near the dam wall (ensuring we are well within the national park and out of sight). We will stay there for 5 nights and will use the shower facilities at the nordic centre. We'll probably have all our lunches at cloud 9 but will cook breakfasts and dinners. We will bring a variety of stoves to see what works best, my dad has an ancient petrol stove and I have a methylated spirits one and a gas one. (Any recomendations/tips for high altitude cooking?) I will bring glow sticks to place on the tent and on designated paths so we dont get lost at night but we'll try to empty our bladders before bed to avoid such issues. Any tips or reccomendations on how to improve the plan are welcome. And if anyone will be at Falls Creek between the 2nd and 7th of July, feel free to come and meet us for brekky or dinner or just set up camp with us.
Theonlyaidan
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Xplora » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 5:05 am

Theonlyaidan wrote: We will be camping near the dam wall (ensuring we are well within the national park and out of sight). We will stay there for 5 nights and will use the shower facilities at the nordic centre.

I would suggest you may have a problem with this. You have to be 200m away from BHP road unless in a designated camp area and then you will have to find some ground to level out if there is enough snow. Personally I don't recall any such place close enough for your purpose but it is not an area I frequent in winter (too close to the resort). Maybe those with more experience will help out.

Theonlyaidan wrote:We will bring a variety of stoves to see what works best, my dad has an ancient petrol stove and I have a methylated spirits one and a gas one. (Any recomendations/tips for high altitude cooking?)

Petrol stinks and if it leaks then you will plagued with the smell for a long time. Butane does not like the cold and is less effective at the altitude you will be cooking. MSR butane works better though. Meths is slow but effective. Fuel is easier to find in Mt. Beauty as you will not be able to carry it on the plane. I prefer a shellite burner like MSR Dragonfly but they are noisy. The petrol burner may burn shellite as well but you would have to ensure fuel is available at Mt. Beauty.

I assume you will also be using a good sleeping mat?
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Sat 18 Mar, 2017 8:13 am

Xplora wrote: Fuel is easier to find in Mt. Beauty as you will not be able to carry it on the plane . . .

Without knowing what fuel you will choose, I can say that there is at least one hardware store that does sell some portable fuel. I didn't see what other types might be available, but on one trip, I bought a butane-propane canister from here:

https://www.thriftylink.com.au/store/mount_beauty/

It's located on the highway very close to the tourist information centre.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sun 19 Mar, 2017 6:58 am

In Holland St. on the right hand side there is another store which has supplies including a small camping range. Go past the hardware, servo and turn left at the roundabout then first right. One way street.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria