Wilsons Prom Advice Please

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilsons Prom Advice Please

Postby JTT » Wed 26 Nov, 2014 7:53 pm

I need some advice please. We are new to Australia and are planning a three day/two night hike in the Wilsons Prom Park. What would the best route/campsites be? We are all relatively fit - ideally moderate difficulty, moderate length. Many thanks.
JTT
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Wilsons Prom Advice Please

Postby north-north-west » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 4:32 pm

Just do the southern circuit. It's a longish two-nighter by most people's standards, but the terrain is pretty straightforward.
You will, however, need to book the trip and pay the campsites in advance. Best to contact ParksVic ASAP and get it organised:
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby walkon » Thu 27 Nov, 2014 7:22 pm

My suggestion is to go from Telegraph Saddle to Waterloo Bay and camp there. Next Day along the way to Sealers Cove have a lunch break and swim at Refuge Cove, then on to camp the night at Sealers. Walk out of Sealers to the Telegraph Saddle car park.
I prefer doing the walk this way as you finish walking on a beautiful track not a gravel road.

Check out the distances for this walk and see whether it suits you, there is no elevation to worry about on this walk. To make it harder leave from tidal River via oberon to waterloo...

It's a very pretty place to go, I've never treated the water down there and the camp sites at Sealers among the Bush and big rocks don't get much better. Mmmm in a couple of weeks I think I've got a spare weekend and this is where I'll go.

Good luck Jtt and look forward to seeing you more on this site
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby JTT » Fri 28 Nov, 2014 1:54 pm

Thank you so much for both of your comments. I have decided on sealers cove and little Waterloo Bay from Telegraph Saddle. The distances look slightly on the short side but as suggested we could lengthen by adding Oberon Bay depending on how we feel on the day. We can't wait, it looks fantastic.
JTT
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria