2 night walk around Falls Creek

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

2 night walk around Falls Creek

Postby Drew » Wed 21 Jan, 2015 5:19 pm

My partner and I had planned on doing a 2 nighter taking in Cobbler, Koonika and Speculation over the coming long weekend. However some last minute work commitments mean that we might instead be in the Falls Creek area. So I'm looking for some options for a 2 night walk somewhere around there. A couple of ideas...

Bogong Circuit: Rocky Valley Storage to Big River (via Heathy Spur and AAWT), Big River to Bogong Saddle via Bogong summit and Quartz Knob, Bogong Saddle to Rocky Valley Storage via Grey Hills. I've done this before, only taking Timms Spur instead of Grey Hills. Was a great walk. The only concern is that there's not much space at Big River if you need to share with another party. One way around this is to make the first day a BIG one and get all the way to Cleve Cole.

Jathmathang and Fainters Circuit: Falls Creek to Tawonga Huts via Pretty Valley, Tawonga Huts to Bogong Jack Saddle (sidetrip to Mt Jathmathang summit and Fainters), Bogong Jack Saddle to Falls Creek via Mckay Creek Fire Trail. I haven't really explored that side of Falls, so this is tempting.

Any thoughts on these or any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: 2 night walk around Falls Creek

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 21 Jan, 2015 7:51 pm

The Big River campsite at the foot of T Spur is quite small, and I would not stop there. If you start early you may make the top of T Spur, good campsite. Upstream, where the Timms Track crosses Big River is also small, but there's good camping back towards the helipad, good water. See
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18811
for a recent discussion about this area.

Falls to Tawonga Huts is a shortish day, and even shorter if you park at or near Pretty Valley. There's nice camping at Little Plain north of TH. Or you can climb Mt Jathmathang and then go on the ridge, light scrub, emerging at Little Plain. Water at Bogong Jacks is 600 metres on the track. The Mackay track goes on forever, with a climb at the end. You may do better to come out at Bogong Village and hitch up to Falls.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby GregR » Wed 21 Jan, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Drew,

Might see you up there. Camping at Pretty Valley Horseyards on Friday night. A small group of us are planning to car shuffle to start walking at Wallace Hut and head around via Mt Cope to overnite it at Ryders and then wander down to camp at Tawonga Hut via Mt Jathmathang for Sunday night. Monday head out to the Horse yards and car shuffle to finish off.

Hope the weathers good for both our sakes.

Cheers,
Greg
GregR

Postby Drew » Wed 21 Jan, 2015 10:08 pm

Thanks guys. I didn't realise you could drive to Pretty Valley - I've only been there in winter on snowshoes when the road is closed. Is the road okay for 2WD? It would be nice to skip the walk through the ski lifts etc.

Water at Bogong Jacks is 600 metres on the track.

Did you mean that water is 600 metres off the track? Any tips on which direction would be great! There's been plenty of rain up there this month, but most of it in a few big downpours, so I'm not sure how much has stuck around.

I did look at the recent discussion about Bogong circuits - the one from Howmans Gap sounded good but I was turned off by the potential difficulties of crossing the creek below Howmans.
Drew

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 22 Jan, 2015 4:49 am

Drew, as far as I am aware, the road to Pretty Valley is 2WD. Parks Victoria or Falls Creek management may be able to advise. Moondog was up there recently, just after the ski season.

Sorry, my words were unclear. From Bogong Jack go north on the track for about 600 metres where a creek crosses the track. From memory it's not that big but I would rely on it. There are also somewhat strange concrete water tanks on bends as you descend to Bogong Village, and a tap at the ... um, SE or far corner of the big building just above the bitumen. You may have to crawl under a gate here. Years of grovelling made this easy for me. Your concern about fording Rocky Valley Creek at Howmans is shared.
Last edited by Lophophaps on Thu 22 Jan, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Thu 22 Jan, 2015 5:37 am

The road to Pretty Valley is 2WD, a bit rough in spots. I took my old Holden their in late November without any worries.
There's some nice views from it as well.

Off PV Road.jpg
Off PV Road.jpg (161.92 KiB) Viewed 21771 times
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewp » Thu 22 Jan, 2015 7:06 am

Last November you could walk across Rocky Valley Creek below Howman's Gap on a log bridge. Easy and no wet feet. Previously it was a thigh deep wade.
andrewp
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 26 Jan, 2015 8:24 am

I just recently walked with 3 VNPA other hikers from Cope hut car park to Dibbin hut along the AAWT. The next day we walked to Blair and Weston's hut and camped the 2nd night at Tawonga huts. On day 3 we walked to Pretty valley hut and then onto Cope Saddle hut and then back to the cars at Cope hut. The weather was sunny and the whole trip was just great. It was about 45 kms in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Drew » Tue 27 Jan, 2015 3:46 pm

We ended up changing plans yet again and doing a circuit from Mt Loch carpark - Blairs Hut (via Dibbins) - Feathertop (via Diamantina Spur) - Razorback. Couldn't be bothered rushing the Bogong circuit in 3 days and I though I'd leave the Jathmathang, Fainters area for a bigger 4 or 5 day circuit around Falls. My partner hadn't been to Feathertop before either. *&%$#! busy at Fed hut, but a lovely sunset from the summit made it worthwhile.

Thanks for the suggestions though - I'm sure I'll use them in future.

I just recently walked with 3 VNPA other hikers from Cope hut car park to Dibbin hut along the AAWT. The next day we walked to Blair and Weston's hut and camped the 2nd night at Tawonga huts. On day 3 we walked to Pretty valley hut and then onto Cope Saddle hut and then back to the cars at Cope hut. The weather was sunny and the whole trip was just great. It was about 45 kms in total.

We wandered up to Westons Hut from our camp at Blairs Hut and saw your entry in the log book paidal_chalne_vala. Nice spot there, and we saw 3 lyrebirds on the way up.
Drew

Postby icefest » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 5:48 pm

Lophophaps wrote:Falls to Tawonga Huts is a shortish day, and even shorter if you park at or near Pretty Valley. There's nice camping at Little Plain north of TH. Or you can climb Mt Jathmathang and then go on the ridge, light scrub, emerging at Little Plain. Water at Bogong Jacks is 600 metres on the track. The Mackay track goes on forever, with a climb at the end. You may do better to come out at Bogong Village and hitch up to Falls..[/color]

This, but solve the hitching question by dropping people and packs off and leaving the car at Bogong (and hitch back up) before leaving.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 28 Jan, 2015 7:38 pm

icefest wrote:This, but solve the hitching question by dropping people and packs off and leaving the car at Bogong (and hitch back up) before leaving.

Yes, much better to get the uncertainties of hitchhiking out of the way at the start.

Drew wrote:We ended up changing plans yet again and doing a circuit from Mt Loch carpark - Blairs Hut (via Dibbins) - Feathertop (via Diamantina Spur) - Razorback. Couldn't be bothered rushing the Bogong circuit in 3 days and I though I'd leave the Jathmathang, Fainters area for a bigger 4 or 5 day circuit around Falls. My partner hadn't been to Feathertop before either. *&%$#! busy at Fed hut, but a lovely sunset from the summit made it worthwhile.

This sounds like a good decision. Whilst covering ground is nice, taking one's time is pleasant. A more extended trip will allow the mountains to be enjoyed rather than rushed. I try to avoid Federation Hut - too many people.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 29 Jan, 2015 7:26 pm

Yes, Fed. hut near Mt. Feathertop is always busy but Tawonga huts were deserted when we were there. It is magic up there. :-)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Mon 23 May, 2016 5:22 pm

So, I still haven't got around to doing a Jaithmathang and Fainters walk. I was thinking of doing it over 3 days on the Queen's B'day long weekend, maybe starting from Langford Gap, finishing at Bogong Village. But it just occurred to me that that is the very weekend that the ski season starts! I assume that I'd have to pay exhorbitant fees to get to Falls and that the road past Falls to Langford Gap will be closed anyway. Is this right?

If so, any suggestions on how to make it work? Maybe start at Howman's Gap, up Frying Pan Spur, past Ruined Castle, Pretty Valley, on to Tawonga Huts. Second day to Bogong Jack via Jaithmathang and Fainters. Third day down to Bogong Village or even back to Howman's Gap via McKay Creek fire trail.

Cheers
Drew

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 23 May, 2016 7:53 pm

While the chnace of skiable snow is low for the long weekened, there's always the possiblity of snow at anytime of the year. I've had snow on 26 December on Howitt. The road will most probably be closed from Windy Corner. Fees probably apply getting into Falls Creek. You could park at Howmans Gap and walk up the Mackay Road, then across to Tawonga Huts. Then north over Fainters and down to Bogong Village or a long slog on the Mackay Creek FT, coming out a kilometre below Howmans Gap. Maybe take the packs to the start and leave the car at the Power Station Road, save a walk uphill at the end.

Only a few hours to Fainters is off-track. The rest is on fire tracks, which do not have a lot to recommend them. Maybe find another place for the long weekend, or come back in spring, much more flexibility.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drew » Tue 24 May, 2016 10:56 am

Only a few hours to Fainters is off-track. The rest is on fire tracks, which do not have a lot to recommend them. Maybe find another place for the long weekend, or come back in spring, much more flexibility.

Thanks Lophophaps. I guess if it's only possible to do it with lots of boring fire trail walking then maybe it is best to leave it for outside of ski season. I just keep wanting to get to that area - there are lots of spots in the high country that I've been to multiple times but I'm yet to get to that fairly accessible part!

Back to the drawing board... Any ideas for a 3 day walk that's not Heli Spur, Howitt, Cobbler, The Bluff, Feathertop, Tali Karng? A Bogong circuit from Bogong Village or Howmans Gap appeals but then there is the issue of crossing the creek - likely to be difficult in June.
Drew

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 24 May, 2016 12:20 pm

Drew wrote:I just keep wanting to get to that area - there are lots of spots in the high country that I've been to multiple times but I'm yet to get to that fairly accessible part!

Back to the drawing board... Any ideas for a 3 day walk that's not Heli Spur, Howitt, Cobbler, The Bluff, Feathertop, Tali Karng? A Bogong circuit from Bogong Village or Howmans Gap appeals but then there is the issue of crossing the creek - likely to be difficult in June.

At the risk of being caught with a dump of snow, here's a High Plains trip. It needs two cars, catch the bus, walk or hitchike. Maybe 7 kilometres past the centre of Hotham Heights going towards Omeo, 5.5 kilometres before Dinner Plain, is Brandy Creek FT. This is about 500 metres past Whisky Flat. There's a good if slightly steep in places 4WD track down to the Cowbunga River, discovered by the Ninja Turtles ... sorry, Cobungra River. At the river walk upstream on the flats, long grass, lots of places for snakes to hide. Go right up to where the valley splits and cross to the true left bank, good campsite. The crossing is shallow, may be dry boots. This bit takes an hour or so from the Hotham road, maybe 90 minutes.

There's one marker at the start and then upness for a few hours, track comes and goes, on Paling Spur, mainly light scrub, some medium. The top has a nice track on the last clearing leading to the ridge at 198166. From there, many tracks and feral horse runs to the pole line from Mt Jim. The SEC Hut aka Youngs Hut can be reached from the last saddle before the poles, or go from the saddle on a track to the stockyards and then down. When I was there last this saddle had a signpost (vertical) and a sign (on the ground). It will take 3-5 hours to get from the campsite to the SEC Hut. No water.

From there you can go to Tawonga Huts, Mt J, returning via Dibbins Hut and Swinders Spur. There's a bus that comes from Harrietville at about 2.30 pm on some days, maybe not on a public holiday.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drew » Tue 24 May, 2016 2:30 pm

That does look like a good circuit, taking in some bits I've done and some that I haven't.

I've had a quick look at buses and it seems rather complicated. Might be possible, provided the bus drivers will drop off and pick up from non-designated spots.

If driving all the way resort entry fees might still apply, although it does on the Hotham website that if you pass through the resorts without stopping you don't have to pay. So maybe parking a car at Mt Loch and another at Whiskey Flat carpark could work.

If the forecast looks like proper snow then we'll probably go for a lower altitude plan b.

Or another idea that doesn't require a shuffle is to start at Mt Loch Carpark, down Machinery Spur, up to Tawonga Huts (stopping earlier at Weston Hut if needed). Jaithmathang next day, then past Mt Jim, down to Dibbins. Climb up Swindlers Spur to the car on day 3. I have done most of this before but it seems more straightforward logistically. Could also detour to Young Hut as I haven't been there before.
Drew

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 24 May, 2016 4:20 pm

Starting and finishing at Loch Car park is certainly simpler. I thought that the top of Brandy Creek FT was outside the resort. It's inside, by a kilometre or two. I've got a lot of maps of that area and all end near the resort border. Pest! If you park at Loch CP or Brandy Creek FT there may be fees. I suggest that you ask Hotham management. If you are just parking then there's no use of the resort facilities, so not paying is the same as in summer. Snow clearing is unlikely to be needed.

Another option. There's a road at the foot of Diamantina Spur, which twists and turns for maybe 20 kilometres to Mt Beauty. The road look steep in paces. There may be a gate, seasonal closure. If the road is 2WD and open, the walk could start from Blairs Hut. From there it's 3-5 hours to Tawonga Huts. Return via Cobungra Gap, then north to Blairs.

Day 1, Tawonga Huts, Jaithmathang.
Day 2, waterfalls just south of Mt Bundara, west on the spur to the pole line and Youngs Hut.
Day 3, Pole line (cut the corner), Cobungra Gap, Blairs.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drew » Wed 25 May, 2016 4:32 pm

Yes, I checked with Hotham management and unfortunately Mt Loch is within the resort boundary. It would cost $138 to park there for 3 days! Seems crazy to me that a commercial enterprise can make you pay to have access to a National Park.

I'm not sure that my Golf would be up to the drive on the road you're suggesting Lophophaps. Might have to leave this walk for another time.

I'm thinking instead of something far from the ski resorts. Maybe the Crinoline, although it seems very short for 3 days.
Drew

Postby neilmny » Wed 25 May, 2016 4:36 pm

Maybe out and back to Tawonga Huts via Fainters etc. from Bogong Village.
No cost parking there.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Wed 25 May, 2016 4:43 pm

Maybe out and back to Tawonga Huts via Fainters etc. from Bogong Village.
No cost parking there.

True, could do that. I'm all about the circuit generally and hardly even consider walks that are in and out on the same route but maybe I should! It would certainly make planning easier.
Drew

Postby neilmny » Thu 26 May, 2016 8:38 am

There seems (I have not done this, advice should be sort) to be a way from Pretty Valley which bypasses west or on the margin of Falls Creek resort down Frying Pan Spur to Howmans Gap then via Junction Spur Firetrail back to Bogong Village or thereabouts. Some firetrail walking but a loop none the less. The wholes loop measures about 47km on OSM with Mapsource.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 26 May, 2016 9:20 am

The walk that neilmny describes should be done clockwise. The reason is that in bad weather the top of the road on Ruined Castle to Howmans Gap can be hard to find. Going clockwise, once you are at Little Plain the road is easy to follow, if very exposed in places until Bogong Jack. One bad weather option from Ruined Castle going to Howmans is to drop into Falls Creek.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Fri 27 May, 2016 5:41 am

They closed BHP yesterday from Rocky Dam to Trapyard Gap but it may open again before the season starts as they have done in previous years. The snow line was around the Mt. Cope carpark and it was heavier toward Falls Creek but then it started raining so much of the snow would be gone. A check on the snow cams should reveal something but this weekend could be good if you wanted to experience a little snow. I cannot report from the ground anymore as they were waiting for us to exit so they could shut the gate. The resort management did some road clearing while the road was open but there was another gentleman at the Cope carpark who wanted to stay and do some walking. I guess he can pick his car up in October or take the chance the road will re-open. He was advised to leave but not sure if he did. Maybe he will read this and if so he should then be safe.

Edit/update: it appears the BHP road is open again (according to the Vic Roads site) and there is still a bit of white mud around. Looks like a bit of snow making going on as well. Get an early ski in before the crowds and the cost?
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Mon 30 May, 2016 10:26 am

There seems (I have not done this, advice should be sort) to be a way from Pretty Valley which bypasses west or on the margin of Falls Creek resort down Frying Pan Spur to Howmans Gap then via Junction Spur Firetrail back to Bogong Village or thereabouts. Some firetrail walking but a loop none the less. The wholes loop measures about 47km on OSM with Mapsource.

Thank Neil. I did look at a route like that but it seemed quite heavy on the fire trail walking. Probably best to leave it for out of ski season when it's much cheaper and easier to access the good bits!
Drew

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 08 Jun, 2016 9:21 pm

I have thought about the 8 Mile flat/8 mile spur/Bluff Hut/ Mt Lovick/Lovick's hut / Mac. Springs/Mt Howitt/ Howitt spur feeder track / Upper Howqua campsite/ and return via the Howqua River track via Ritchie's hut as a multi nighter adventure.
It has year round appeal but bits of it are very exposed especially if the weather turns to 'fertilizer'.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria