Marysville-Keppels Hut-Marysville

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Marysville-Keppels Hut-Marysville

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 6:39 pm

Just got back from a hiking/camping weekend away in Marysville with a mate of mine.

We planned on staying at Keppels Hut on Saturday night but there are two direct ways to get there - either up Mt Margaret Road (28km) or Lady Talbot Drive + Upper Taggerty Road (25km). We took LTD and in hindsight it was probably the best decision as MMR has quite sharp descents/ascents as opposed to LTR which is a gradual ascent/descent. We started at 8am and arrived at Keppels hut just past 1:30. Unfortunately, it rained most of the time we were on the trail so our packs got soaked as did some of our gear inside packs. Lesson learnt: bring a pack cover haha.

When we arrived at the hut there were three other cars there and I thought we were going to have to stay in our tents outside the hut. Luckily, the people who were inside were just staying for some lunch but were good enough to get a fire going, which we took full advantage to dry our gear once they had left. The rain disappeared at about 2:30 and we even got some sunshine. The hut was really good, simple, but really good. It only allows for four people to sleep in there but if there weather is good there is plenty of room outside for tents.

We got going the next day at 8am and continued on down the Keppel Hut Track to Upper Taggerty Road to the Tintersection at Lady Talbot Drive. We continued right and headed for Mount Margaret. By the time we hit 17kms we had made it to Keppels Camping Ground, which is about a 10 minute drive out of Marysville. Most of that 17kms was downhill and once we made it out Marysville-Buxton road it was pretty much flat road all the way back into town. Walking a flat road can seem easy but the last 11kms was a little tough. I don't know whether that was because it was a tough road or because I knew the end was in sight. Anyway, we made it back to Marysville in a little over 7 hours, with 5 hrs 45 mins of actually walking time. So a reasonably solid day.

Overall, it was a great weekend away. I love the whole Marysville area and despite the fact you can see still remnants of the 2009 Black Saturday fires, it still is a really nice place to visit and camp/hike.

JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Marysville-Keppels Hut-Marysville

Postby MickyB » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 7:01 pm

JohnStrider wrote:Overall, it was a great weekend away. I love the whole Marysville area and despite the fact you can see still remnants of the 2009 Black Saturday fires, it still is a really nice place to visit and camp/hike.

Thanks for the report JohnStrider. Marysville is a beautiful area but I still find it very eerie in some places.

I assume Lady Talbot Drive is open again to vehicles? Last time I tried to drive up there I got a few kms up and there was a barrier stopping cars going any further. It was very annoying especially considering there wasn't any signs at the start of the road warning of the closure :evil:
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 02 Nov, 2015 7:31 pm

MickyB wrote:
JohnStrider wrote:Overall, it was a great weekend away. I love the whole Marysville area and despite the fact you can see still remnants of the 2009 Black Saturday fires, it still is a really nice place to visit and camp/hike.

Thanks for the report JohnStrider. Marysville is a beautiful area but I still find it very eerie in some places.

I assume Lady Talbot Drive is open again to vehicles? Last time I tried to drive up there I got a few kms up and there was a barrier stopping cars going any further. It was very annoying especially considering there wasn't any signs at the start of the road warning of the closure :evil:

Yeah it is eerie in some places. For instance, on some of the mountains half of it is covered in green while the other is all gray from the dead trees. It was mostly like that up near the hut.

There is a gate where Lady Talbot Drive meets Upper Taggerty Rd. From memory that was the only gate there was.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 14 Nov, 2015 10:51 pm

You didn't hike up to the edge of the Lake mountain plateau?
I plan to include Keppels hut as a pit stop en route to lake Mountain , out near the Boundary hut ruins. The object of doing such a hike in Green season is to check it out for a possible winter trek . You can avoid paying the hefty entrance fee at Lake mountain that way when the white season is operating.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 21 Jan, 2016 4:57 pm

I have been up there this week . See the trip report in the relevant section.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 12:22 am

Has anyone been up to Keppel's hut this snow season yet? Where on the Marysville side of Lady Talbot Drive is the road closed?.
I would say there may have been snow at the hut this week what with the cold snap we have had. From the hut it is not that far up to Lake Mountain and gate entry fee free snow activities ;-)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 8:47 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Has anyone been up to Keppel's hut this snow season yet? Where on the Marysville side of Lady Talbot Drive is the road closed?.
I would say there may have been snow at the hut this week what with the cold snap we have had. From the hut it is not that far up to Lake Mountain and gate entry fee free snow activities ;-)

Not sure they close it (after a brief Google) but there is a gate where the road turns ugly somewhere near the Beeches.
Maybe the tourist information service at Marysville could help 5963 4567 10am to 4pm.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 16 Jul, 2016 3:34 pm

My wee jap mobile is n't made for that road in summer . Forget driving in winter on those roads in my city sedan.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria