Mount Feathertop

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mount Feathertop

Postby Catcher » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 7:30 am

I've decided on doing a circuit here for my first overnighter. I'll obviously check the weather nearer the time but does anyone know what I can expect in late April/early May? Well I need a wool base layer at night?
Also I've read quite a few blogs describing the walks and it would seem water is reasonably easy to source. Would this be correct? I'm taking a Sawyer filter.
Catcher
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mount Feathertop

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 7:58 am

There's only a few certain water points on and near Feathertop. The spurs are generally dry. The Bungalow Spur has a small soak just above Tobias Gap and another near the Bungalow Hut site. Federation Hut has a tank which might or might not be full. I think that you can safely disregard the advice on the tank to boil or treat water. This seems to be Parks Victoria in CYA mode. There's a fairly reliable creek about ten minutes down the Tom Kneen Track. MUMC probably has a tank, can't say for sure as I have not been there for ages. Like Federation, this may or may not be full.

How much insulation you need is up to you, how much you feel the cold. It could easily get down to freezing, like it did in late April last year. I've had snow and blizzards in early May, very cold. You should be okay with a decent self-inflating mat, sleeping bag or quilt, and tent.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 8:29 am

It's a great walk and really quite easy.
Just be prepared for the usual Alpine weather, fickle and changeable.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Catcher » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 8:50 am

Thanks. I have a sleeping bag and inflating mat both rated for -5. Sounds like I might need a liner or some thermals.
Catcher
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 11:08 am

More likely a warm jacket and hat for the period sitting around, which you can always sleep in if needed
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Catcher » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 3:50 pm

The sleeping bag is a Snugpak Softie Elite 3 rated as: Comfort: -5°c Extreme: -10°c
Catcher
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 17 Mar, 2016 8:59 pm

Sleeping bag ratings are always over rated bollocks. I use a comfort rated neg. 9 C. exped down sleeping bag for any potentially cold Alpine trek. I have never had trouble finding water at Mt. FT.

If you descend via the NW spur ( :-0) then there is no certain water after the spring on the track, esp. after the MUMC hut until you hit the creek at the bottom of the very steep spur.
I have had snow and sleet in May in the Alpine N.P. It was effing cold!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby dashandsaph » Tue 29 Mar, 2016 12:31 pm

On the water at Federation Hut, I was there over Easter and the National Parks volunteers warned us about drinking untreated the water in the hut tank - despite this a couple of people drank it untreated and suffered some moderate consequences, apparently caused by the tank water. Also, the tank level was low, so it may not last long without rain. Excellent spring water is available with a pretty good flow about 700m from the Fed Hut/Feathertop track on the track down towards MUMC hut.
dashandsaph
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 29 Mar, 2016 3:15 pm

Just use a hand pump water filter. That can make a green puddle into potable clear water.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kinsayder » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 12:43 pm

Just on the water thing, (I've probably mentioned this before but...) a while back I got campylobacter from water either from the Fed Hut or the spring on the way up the Bungalow. It's really, really horrible...so I'd emphatically recommend filtering.

It can get a bit nippy at night too, but it is very interchangeable. I was there in May for a quick Razorback and on day one the visibility was down to a few metres and quite cold, the next morning it was cloudless and just brilliant. Be prepared and you'll be fine.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Strider » Wed 30 Mar, 2016 1:05 pm

Catcher wrote:The sleeping bag is a Snugpak Softie Elite 3 rated as: Comfort: -5°c Extreme: -10°c

This doesn't seem right with such little difference between the two ratings. Are you sure it isn't Comfort +5C?
Strider
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Catcher » Thu 31 Mar, 2016 9:03 am

Strider wrote:
Catcher wrote:The sleeping bag is a Snugpak Softie Elite 3 rated as: Comfort: -5°c Extreme: -10°c

This doesn't seem right with such little difference between the two ratings. Are you sure it isn't Comfort +5C?

I ended up going with a different bag. I got a Sea to Summit Trek 3. "EN tested Temp rating:-30c extreme, -5cComfort factor, -11c lower limit"
Catcher
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby jdeks » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 4:50 pm

Let's bump this sucker.

Anyone been up there this winter? Where's the snowline at currently? Packed or powder? Hotham's reporting about a meter, SnowSense hasn't had any field reports for 2 weeks but looks like the ridges are scoured clean but the east faces a little soft. Thinking about a NW Spur ascent this month...
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 6:26 pm

I am going up there this month for sure. It was going to be this weekend but this weekend is looking
more like Mt Bogong via the Eskdale spur, camping at Michel hut.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Snowzone » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 8:02 pm

DSC03601.JPG
DSC03593.JPG
These were taken two weeks ago and at that stage there was a lot of snow melt. I know they have had a couple of falls again since so its probably about the same. There was patchy snow on Bungalow down quite low on the south but was melting quickly. I didn't put my snow shoes on till the old hut site on the way up but then didn't need them at all from Fed Hut down the next day with all of the traffic. The softest and deepest was on little Feathertop with Feathertop itself being very icy.
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby jdeks » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks Snowzone. Reportedly another 13cm at Hotham last night, BOM saying a bit more on the way, depending on how much I might give it a week or so to settle in, sounds like any more fall at this point will be on a fairly rimey base.

Only question now is - do I feel like descending Diamantina Spur again... :\
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 02 Aug, 2016 6:52 pm

I am now set to go up the Bungalow spur and snow camp at Fed. hut on 20/8/16.I will report back .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MacMan » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 1:51 pm

jdeks wrote:Only question now is - do I feel like descending Diamantina Spur again... :\

There is no try.
MacMan
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 08 Aug, 2016 3:09 pm

I don't have to hike the Diamantina spur again!. :-0
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peteb_99 » Mon 22 Aug, 2016 8:45 pm

Anyone know the current conditions on feathertop and do you need snow shoes.
Planning on going via NW Spur staying in MUMC hut and continuing to feathertop next day then
descening down Bungalow spur.

This coming wkn

Cheers, Pete
peteb_99
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Xplora » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 5:38 am

Still plenty of snow about at them moment so you will need snow shoes but I would also suggest crampons for the morning. There is a section from MUMC to the Feathertop turnoff that can be pretty icy in the mornings and it has a good slope. BOM have downgraded the snow for this week but a small amount is expected from Wednesday. Allow plenty of time for the NW spur. The trout farm is about 5km out of Harrietville so you should stop in at Morries Ice Cream shop after you finish. Best home made ice creams and great food.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 2:23 pm

Hi, we went up the Bungalow spur on 20/8/16 and met a white out with heaps of powder snow. We didn't even make it to the Razorback junction. We could not see a thing!. It has been snowing heaps up there. We packed up our tents and went down the next day because conditions had become worse. I was at Falls Ck. yesterday and it was hammering down with snow at Howman's gap at about 10.30 am.
We took snow shoes , hiking poles, snow tents etc. and I took an ice axe, flexible crampons and a snow shovel. I used them all, except for the ice axe which was almost useless in powder snow.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby peteb_99 » Tue 23 Aug, 2016 9:16 pm

Cheers for the info, most helpful!
peteb_99
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 24 Aug, 2016 4:41 pm

If you are heading up the NW spur this snow season beware that it is nut crackingly steep, a real chore. Also if you make it to the MUMC hut you may not be able to reach the summit in white out conditions. I would not try it myself. The " track " that leads to Fed. hut from MUMC hut is just a line on the map under snow in white season. The avalanche risk is still there along that route but not as much as the other side of the peak which faces the Fainters.
I have heard that the wood heater at MUMC hut has been removed so it will be chilly inside that hut.
The conditions change quickly with icy surfaces and deep powder snow. You need to be prepared in terms of gear and turning back as the best option if it seems dodgy/risky or beyond your skill/ experience level. Mt. FT is serious stuff in white season.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 10:00 pm

Some pic.s from our trek up to Fed. hut in extreme conditions.
http://www.meetup.com/BWAG-Bushwalking- ... /27247952/
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria