Cost to camp at Tidal River

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cost to camp at Tidal River

Postby Pongo » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 8:29 pm

Perhaps I'm reading things wrong... I hope I am, but is it really $55 odd dollars to camp at Tidal River?

I was considering driving in on a Friday night crashing at the trail head and doing a weekend hike, but holy Moses that is some expensive camping.

Tell me I'm all wrong, tell me I'm mad, tell me this is government bu!!$#!t, tell me something folks!
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Melbourne Young Hikers
Region: Victoria

Re: Cost to camp at Tidal River

Postby Stew63 » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 9:12 pm

Yes - correct. I thought I paid $58 - but $55 might be right.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Pongo » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 9:36 pm

Wowsers thanks man.

That's a lot of coin to pitch a tent. I guess I'll see if there's somewhere in Yanakie I can pitch for the night.
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PedroArvy » Sat 23 Apr, 2016 10:14 pm

My friend queried these prices and got this reply:

Thank you for your email of 10 November 2015 regarding the fee structure at Tidal River, Wilsons Promontory National Park. We appreciate and acknowledge the time you have spent to forward through this email.

Following feedback from a number of people regarding the fees, there has been a recent change to camping fees. From 2 April 2015, camping fees for all basic camp sites in Parks Victoria managed parks have been removed. Fees have been removed at over 500 basic camping sites over 70 campgrounds in 20 parks throughout regional Victoria. Further details of this change including fee structure can be viewed here.

The previous funding model was insufficient and the costs and previous fee increases have not kept pace with CPI. There are ongoing maintenance costs associated with even a basic site with minimal or no facilities to ensure it is a safe environment for campers. A user-pays system was considered the fairest way to cover the costs of the services and facilities provided at campgrounds.

The new fee provides the permit holder with exclusive use of that site. The costs to administer and manage compliance with the old fee structure had become cost prohibitive and on busy days at the “Prom” even caused traffic congestion for visitors entering the park. The new fee structure for Tidal River brings it in line with the majority of the campgrounds managed by Parks Victoria which are based a per site fee.

As you will be aware, Tidal River is remote and therefore, has higher costs to operate than caravan parks that have easier access to power, water and sewerage. In establishing the campsite fees only the costs associated with overnight Tidal River camping have been incorporated so campers are not subsidising the costs associated with day visitors.

Staying overnight in a park or reserve is a special experience. Campgrounds in parks and reserves allow visitors to stay in the heart of Victoria’s natural environment. It is a different experience to staying in a local caravan park, and has different costs associated with maintaining facilities in remote locations in our state and national parks.

Parks Victoria is currently reviewing all camping options to ensure we are getting the balance right between affordable family holidays and funding for new facilities in parks.

Yours Sincerely,

Parks Victoria Camping Team,
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby PedroArvy » Sun 24 Apr, 2016 10:41 am

It's possible to camp directly on the lawn at I think the front of Lot 35C here https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-38.8116134,146.2051417,274m/data=!3m1!1e3. If it's not this lot its where the public toilet is in the town. It's not an ideal spot being on the highway and so exposed. In fact thinking about it it's *&%$#! awful but if you are heading down on a Friday night and need somewhere to sleep for your drive down to the Prom on a Saturday for the weekend I'd consider it.
PedroArvy
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Pongo » Sun 24 Apr, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks Pedro. Sounds like short version from Parks Vic is 'go suck an egg.'

Campsites in Yanakie caravan park are around $28 is anyone is curious. Still not sure what I'll do... probably avoid the prom more often if anyone from parks vic is reading this ;-)
Pongo
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 25 Apr, 2016 9:17 pm

I would just hike into one of the trekkers' camp sites. They are still only about $14 a night. You won't see many people at Johnny Souey Cove during the cooler weather. I know that the track has recently been cleared from 5 mile beach to 3 mile beach.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby CaptainC » Tue 03 May, 2016 8:51 pm

The problem is that Parks Vic charge you for 6 people at a campsite. $55 wouldn't be bad if you had 6 people to share it with. In NSW they charge per person. Last year I camped at Warrumbungles National Park. Bitumen road to the campsite, flush toilets and hot showers for $5 per person per night.
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 03 May, 2016 10:06 pm

Oberon Bay is only 8 kms from Tidal River along the coast . Nobody camps there but there is a water tank there now and there are dunnies . It is only $14 per night there. I have seen people in rubber thongs/flip flops carrying car camping tents in tandem and lugging suitcases from TR to Oberon Bay via the coastal walking track!!! .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Stroller » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 6:29 am

Its ridiculous the way they justify things. If they would work at reducing the costs instead of working so hard at making it expensive we'd all be happier wouldn't we?

And fancy not making a distinction between 6 people and 1 person.

They need to come up with a better system though I am sure they want to keep everywhere expensive so that they numbers are fewer.
Stroller
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 7:08 pm

A ranger told me late last year at Stockyard campsite at the Prom gate that car campers are staying away from the two car camping places at the Prom and the local towns are feeling it too. Fewer people are passing through places such as Meeniyan, Fish Creek , Foster, Yanakie etc. and they are not coming and spending that little bit along the way which all adds up.
Since PV have tarted up Stockyard and made it a mini Tidal River , they want people to pay $55 per camp site there too, regardless of whether there are 6 people or just one occupant. The Ranger also said that people all cramming into one camp site to save money is also causing wear and tear on the car camping sites .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria