Seasonal road closures

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Seasonal road closures

Postby Xplora » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 12:59 pm

Please be advised that some seasonally closed roads in Vic Parks may not be opening for the Cup weekend. Also some roads closed early this year. Here is a list of all seasonally closed roads and their expected opening date. This date is subject to weather and other conditions. http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets ... st2016.pdf The list does not include State Forest roads. This may not affect many here unless you are planning a walk or food drop and require vehicle access on these roads. I would suggest the closing dates for next year will be similar.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Seasonal road closures

Postby GBW » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 3:30 pm

Can't see Jamieson-Licola Rd on that list.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 6:49 am

GBW wrote:Can't see Jamieson-Licola Rd on that list.

This road is a council closed road and not a ParksVic controlled road so it would not appear on the list I provided but you can see more here.
http://www.mansfield.vic.gov.au/council ... sures.aspx

My intention was not to list all the seasonally closed roads, instead it was to make people aware that some roads will not open for the Cup weekend as we have assumed or become accustomed to in the past. Jamieson-Licola road should open for Cup weekend unless there is a problem. The Bogong and Dargo High Plains road is also not on this list as it too is a council controlled road but it should, snow permitting, be open for that weekend. These closures are also listed on the VicRoads traffic website http://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/ You can get a permit from 4wd Victoria for the Jamieson-Licola road if you have the right credentials.

You can also access this map for more information
http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShar ... p?site=pam
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby GBW » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 9:03 am

Probably asking too much but would it be possible for these government departments to coordinate a decent map that shows all the road closures?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby scroggin » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 2:06 pm

GBW wrote:Probably asking too much but would it be possible for these government departments to coordinate a decent map that shows all the road closures?

Agreed GBW. Was looking how far up the Howitt Rd I could drive this winter, and was confronted with this
Map35C.png
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/680068/Map35C.pdf

:?
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 4:07 pm

scroggin wrote:Agreed GBW. Was looking how far up the Howitt Rd I could drive this winter, and was confronted with this...

Howitt Rd is always gated in the same spot, near the Gorge carpark, at the northern end of Kellys Lane. This would be some 7 or 8 km south of the airstrip.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby scroggin » Tue 12 Jul, 2016 4:40 pm

Thanks NNW
scroggin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 6:12 am

If you were looking to get into MacSprings in the winter then most go in the other way and walk up to Bluff Hut, Picture Point, Magdalla. You can get up to 16 mile Jeep track or just past if you turn off at Merrijig and then head down to Sheepyard Flats. Still leaves a bit of a walk but you have Bluff and Lovick's huts along the way and some good views. Many years ago I found one of their online maps to be in error with the locked gate some 12km further down than all the data. Even the people who locked the gates were confused and gave me wrong information. They were also the ones who prepared the data for the online map so I am not surprised the map was wrong. NNW is quite correct though and it is a fair slog from the airfield up Howitt Rd.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 8:19 am

Care is needed on the Howitt Road in winter. On one trip we got as far as the Tamboritha turnoff, where the road flattens. Skied into Kellys probably. The enxt day we had to walk all of the road from near Kellys, a PITA. Another trip the road was clear to just above Kellys, and we skied from near there. That night a little snow came down. Coming out, the Howitt Road drifts past the Moroka turnoff were nearly a metre high over a solid base. We were lucky to get out; the 4WD went first.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Wed 13 Jul, 2016 12:55 pm

This is one of those walks I long wanted to do but never got around to - from the gate up the road, over Howitt & Magdala, and into Stirling. Camping at the *&%$#! Neck with decent snow cover would be ten kinds of awesome.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 5:15 am

I have been thinking over the last few days about whether ParksVic (and State Forests) will actually open up many of the seasonally closed roads at the end of this month. This wet spring and late snow may affect some tracks and I think they may keep some of them closed a bit longer. Quite possible for the Bogong High Plains Road to stay closed past cup weekend. Still a few weeks out but if there are more snow or rain events like last Tuesday then people should call the local Parks office to confirm the roads are open should they be needed for access. Do not assume they will be.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 10:58 pm

Getting into Mac. springs in winter is on my list . I would probably start from the Bluff hut on snow shoes.
Parts of that route are quite exposed so if the weather turned to doggie excrement then the mission could become grim. There is no hut after Lovicks hut until the Gantner hut but there are some good places to put up a tent and sit it out if needs must.
I am not surprised that many mountain roads in Vic. and NSW will remain closed longer than usual. I would imagine the circuit road around Mt. Stirling would be a mud bath now.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Xplora » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 5:27 am

We have done Mac Springs and the Crosscut in winter and most will go in via Bluff Hut. It is really the only way unless you go from Stirling and SNS. You can get you car (well maybe not your car) to the locked gate and walk from there but you will have to allow for the extra slog. I have been there with snow a foot deep on the road so even if it says 2wd I would not go without a proper 4wd and snow chains. We walked in during a white out and it took a while to find our way to Mac Springs from just below Mt. Howitt and on the way out it was the same and we nearly turned back as we were having trouble finding the track from the same point to go back (Big Hill). It took an hour but once on it there is no problem. Just as well we did because the weather got worse the next day and we would have been stuck for another 2.

The biggest problem with closed roads is the idiots who get on them when they are wet or under snow. I have been to Bindaree just after winter and the ruts in the road would swallow PCV's little car. This does not happen with rain alone and would not have been like that before winter. People busting gates open now is so common and with battery angle grinders so easy. The majority of these people are no doubt illegal deer hunting but some just for the thrill. Some areas will be under surveillance and then media attention to name and shame the offenders will make people think twice. The other major problem with opening these roads is clearing fallen trees or rock slides. A few years back, big storms at the end of a wet winter pushed over around 30 huge trees on Spec road from the gate to Camp Creek. Park's budget did not allow them to clear it so it remained closed until they could get volunteers from the local 4wd club to help. Plenty bag these guys on this forum for various reasons but if not for them that road would have been closed all summer and it is a major access point for the AAWT, Timbertop and other walkers doing the Crosscut. There was also nothing posted on the Park's web page to say the road was still closed. The reason I started this thread was because I noticed many roads were listed for a later opening and we have all been used to the cup weekend opening. November is one of the best times for walking in the mountains but you always need to plan well regardless of the time.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 4:42 am

We did our annual excursion along the BHP road yesterday before the gate opens just to have a look at how the melt is going and be there without hoards of people but we came across a group of schoolkids walking. Started at Trapyard gap gate and went along the road until Langford Gap and then off road back home. The East Gippsland section will be clear this week. They have already done one clearing but another huge tree is down and a few smaller ones We ran into the council supervisor who was checking things out and she will have her crew up there this week again. Lots of debris on the road in the form of small branches also which could cause minor damage to little cars. The usual snow drift near Mt. Jack (cope) is still 3m deep across the road and there are several other smaller drifts across it at various points between Cope hut and Wallace's. The road however is in the worst condition I have ever seen, caused by the snow groomers. A section the entire width has been pulled up and there are many more deep gouges where the road surface is breaking up. It would be ill-advised to open the road until the worst of these are repaired and it looks like they have not even gone to look as nobody has crossed the snow drifts. I can't see them fixing the damage and clearing the road this week but you never know. They have 2 days and it is a council. Travis has indicated on another topic that other roads may stay closed longer this year. It would be good to confirm which ones or at least which areas may be affected. If it opens and you need to travel through I would suggest take a chainsaw if you are intending an early morning trip. Trees will be falling regularly.
cope drift.jpg
cope drift.jpg (133.31 KiB) Viewed 33394 times
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 5:54 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:Getting into Mac. springs in winter is on my list . I would probably start from the Bluff hut on snow shoes.

Anyone deciding to drive in and park near the closed gate below Bluff Hut (or anywhere remote-ish in the Vic. Alps for that matter) I would HIGHLY recommend you carry a decent, reliable chainsaw and know how to use it - safely. Sure you may be able to drive into these locations - but from experience getting out can sometimes be problematic - with very little if any ParksVic or 4WD traffic during the winter months to help out. It takes only 1 small fallen tree across the road to ruin your day.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Other Country

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 8:50 am

I would hike up 8 mile spur in winter and leave my car opposite the locked gate at 8 mile flat if I were to attempt a winter mission up to Mac. Springs.I would not attempt to climb the escarpment of the Bluff in winter.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby oyster_07 » Tue 25 Oct, 2016 2:02 pm

From Mansfield Shire Council today regarding Jamieson-Licola Road:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 26 Oct, 2016 1:12 pm

Update: Bogong High Plains will remain closed and there is no time frame to open it. The machinery needed to clear the snow drifts cannot drive on the road as they will damage it further. Road repairs cannot start until the road is clear of snow and dry. I have suggested machinery could access from the East Gippsland side and they are investigating this but it may be difficult to co-ordinate across boundaries. I am sure they can if they try but if not they will have to melt naturally. I would not make any plans that include this road in the near future. Not sure how Pretty Valley is doing but as it is gravel it will not suffer as bad.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 10:48 am

Thanks for keeping all of us up to date. I don't really know the points where they close off BHP road so am unsure where just where I can get to. I was planning on driving over it on my food drop route. I assume you can drive Falls Creek but can you drive further to say Langford Gap? Also where would the block be on the eastern side, Trapyard Gap or Langford West?
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 5:10 pm

The road at Falls is shut at Windy Corner. The Barrier is Just near the YMCA XC ski shelter, about 2 Kms before the dam wall. The BHP road is shut at the other side at Trap yard gap. If you want to access anywhere in between while the road is shut for " White season" then you will have to hike/ ski/ snow shoe in from either end or from Cobungra Gap. We snow shoed in from Windy corner to get to Edmondson's hut in Early Sept.
I would imagine by early Jan. 2017 the BHP road will be open and I can drive up from the East Gippsland side after I finish my hiking/ travels/exploration in the Mitta Mitta/Mt. Wills/ Long Spur area this summer break .
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Fri 28 Oct, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Mark F » Thu 27 Oct, 2016 5:42 pm

Hopefully it won't be snowing in the middle of next week so I should be able to cycle my food drop in a way from Windy Corner towards Langford Gap.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 5:27 am

The problem you will have Mark is that you were also going to do a food drop at the back of Mt. Wills and the road being closed will add a fair bit of time and distance to go around. Not sure which way you are headed with the food drop but if you put a bit more in the Wills bucket you could skip the Falls drop and then have one near Hotham or the other way around. This would mean you could go through Omeo and Hotham instead of Mt. Beauty. If you still want to do the Falls Creek drop then riding the bike from the gate at Trapyard gap to Cope Hut is easy so if you do the Wills drop then it is only 12km from the Omeo Highway to the trapyard gate (this part of the road is open but the sign at the bottom says it is only 8km). It is more uphill riding than if you came from Falls but not hard or far. It would also cut out a fair bit of driving (Tawonga gap, Mt Beauty, Falls).
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks Xplora. An extra couple of day's supplies at Big River Saddle would solve the problem and may be my solution. Given advancing age etc I have been trying to keep my pack to maximum of four days supplies and I am planning to do Bogong and Feathertop on the way to Diamantina Hut. I have allowed four days to do my Victorian drops so not a rushed schedule. I have just put in my NSW drops including one to break up the Kiandra - Thredbo section. I will start down near Walhalla and work back along my route just in case a drop site isn't accessible.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Fri 28 Oct, 2016 5:16 pm

In addition to these roads the following I found today at the Omeo Post Office

'The seasonal closure for these tracks has been extended until 30th November. If conditions dry/or repairs can be completed these tracks may open earlier.'

Besford Track, Four Mile Creek Track, McFarlane Flat Track, Wombat Creek Track
Buckwong Track, Ingeegoodbee Track, McCarthys Track, Knocker Link Track
Cobberas Trail , JP Gap Track, Mount Misery Trail, Kelly’s Road
Cowombat Flat Track, Kings Plain Track, One Mile Spur Track, Davies Plain Track
Eight Mile Loop Track, Limestone Creek Track, Rams Horn Track, Macs Creek Road

As I thought, this wet winter will cause some issues with gate opening so do not assume. I am sure the list above is not exhaustive but it covers the area controlled by the Omeo Parks Office.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 6:03 am

For updated maps go here http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/safety/closur ... -closures2

Please note the expected opening date may be extended further.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 12:45 pm

Just back from doing my food drops so a quick road report. Most roads I used, listed below, we ok but often rough and in need of a grader but that is only to be expected.
I drove from Mansfield to Mt Victor, then along Mt Selma Rd and South Rd to the Jamieson -Licola Rd and then Middle Ridge Rd to Rumpff Saddle. Back to Licola and up to the Mt Howitt trackhead and back (electric sign saying log trucks are operating in the area).
I then drove up Dargo High Plains Rd which I would consider to be impassable to 2wd vehicles with deep rutting and well chewed up bog areas on the high plains section (15-25km from Hotham). It was only just ok in my Forester.
The road into Big River Saddle was clear as was Limestone Road. I walked in a drop along the Cowombat Flat track which is closed and has a lot of water over sections of it. Then across to the BArry Way and through to Jindabyne. Sections of the Barry Way were quite rutted and one or two tricky bit but should be ok for 2wd with reasonable clearance.
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 1:34 pm

Mark F wrote:I then drove up Dargo High Plains Rd which I would consider to be impassable to 2wd vehicles with deep rutting and well chewed up bog areas on the high plains section (15-25km from Hotham). It was only just ok in my Forester.

Wow!
That road is usually in good nick, although it does get illegal winter traffic which can tear it up a bit.
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby byrnesy8 » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 6:53 pm

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byrnesy8
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 4:41 am

north-north-west wrote:That road is usually in good nick, although it does get illegal winter traffic which can tear it up a bit.

They will put the grader over it once it has dried out a bit but it is normally a bit shabby early after it opens. It can get traffic before it closes while it is wet which will do some damage. Many of the seasonally closed roads get illegal winter traffic which is a bit sad. Mostly those hunting deer but the odd idiot as well. I reported a couple of gates busted this winter gone and they were not fixed so I am not sure how much they care. There is a press release on the DELWP site that said 4 gates were busted in the Dartmouth area and how expensive it was to fix. Only 4! I would say that is pretty good.

I can also update that the BHP road is now clear of snow and they are looking to the road damage. I did some ringing and spoke to a bloke at Falls Creek who told me the problem was they could not get the machinery onto BHP to clear the road and I suggested they use the East Gippsland end which was fine. He rang me back to say he was able to arrange that. There was an inspection of the East Gippsland section yesterday and now it is up to the Alpine shire to make the road safe. Expect lots of 40kph and maybe some half road closed or other warnings.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby sambar358 » Fri 04 Nov, 2016 5:42 am

Most years the DHP road is pretty ordinary after the snow goes off but this year being a wet one with plenty of late snow it's worse than usual and I'd expect it won't be graded until the road surface dries-out sufficiently. The road closure barrier at Treasures is often breached during the winter when the snow is on the plains but from my experience in this area (30+ years) the main culprits are the cross country skiers and day-trip tourists going to look at the snow. During the winter there are no sambar deer on the snow-covered High Plains as they are all down in the thermal cover of the major river and creek systems toughing-out the winter and deer hunting pressure in the area at this time is minimal to nil. Certainly once the snow is off the hunting ramps-up but by then the gate has usually been unofficially open for months and the road well chopped-up already.

While it's easy just to blame deer hunters for this sort of thing.....the reality is in many areas that quite often it's someone else and most certainly during winter on the Dargo High Plains the cross country ski set and the snow tourists are the main culprits going in beyond the gate (which is usually closed but without a padlock fitted) and driving up to and beyond the snowline. This gate isn't an official PV or DELWP seasonal closure but is a winter closure declared by the Bright Shire which used to be quite fluid depending on seasonal conditions & it is supervised by Dargo DELWP/PV during the winter as the area is inaccessible from Bright. In the past 10 years this gate seems to have adopted the closure/opening dates of the official seasonal road closure network which was not the case in the past. Back then it was often declared officially open by Bright Shire as soon as there was no snow on the road and a crew from Bright would work a log skidder down the from the Hotham end clearing the road of trees and debris as soon as they could which was often by the start of October. Even in "dry" winters this is no longer the case and signage at the gate now indicates that it is not officially open until October 30th like most other closure gates....but clearly few seem to be taking much notice of that ! Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Next

Return to Victoria