Wilsons Prom closed 23 - 26 August

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilsons Prom closed 23 - 26 August

Postby CaptainC » Wed 27 Jul, 2016 10:20 pm

I received this email today

South Gippsland Stakeholders

Hi All, firstly I would like to advise you all I will be continuing to act in the District Manager Role for South Gippsland at least until the end of September whilst Graeme Baxter is undertaking a Corporate role in Bourke St as Parks Victoria’s Director of State-wide Services within the Business & Infrastructure Services Division.

The reason for my email however is to advise that Wilsons Promontory National Park will be closed on Tuesday 23 August 2016 and reopened on the morning of Friday 26 August 2016 to allow a major upgrade of the power supply system at Tidal River. The upgrade is part of Parks Victoria’s ongoing maintenance program at one of the state’s best loved parks. During this time, Parks Victoria will also take advantage of the park being closed to conduct its annual deer control program. Parks Victoria will now expand the trial deer control program to the whole of Wilsons Promontory National Park when the park can be closed for a few days with minimal disruption to visitors. Unfortunately our Remote camera monitoring which was established for the Hog Deer Program has also identified Sambar Deer for the first time in Wilsons Promontory National Park. Sambar Deer are the largest of the deer species and all species cause significant environmental damage through grazing, trampling and forming wallows in drainage lines. Both Sambar Deer and the smaller Hog Deer will be targeted as part of this control program.

I would also like to take this opportunity to advise that Parks Victoria is finalising the Wilsons Promontory Conservation Action Plan which has been in development over the last four years involving a number of key stakeholders, researchers and scientists (some of you may have been involved in a 2-day workshop at Inverloch in 2012?). Within this plan we have used a thorough process to identify the Prom’s environmental values, what’s at threat and the priority actions we can take to protect and restore the Prom’s unique environmental values for current and future generations. The Conservation Action Plan prioritises conservation strategies for the Wilsons Promontory Park Landscape for the next 15 years and I would like to thank the stakeholders who have contributed in the development of the Conservation Action Plan. If you would like further information in relation to the Conservation Action Plan please let me know via email.

We will also be issuing a broader South Gippsland District Stakeholder newsletter in August FYI.

Thanks Everyone

Kind Regards

Brett Mitchell
A / District Manager – South Gippsland District
Parks Victoria
Park Office, Wilsons Promontory National Park, Tidal River VIC 3960
CaptainC
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Wilsons Prom closed 23 - 26 August

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 8:51 pm

Once PV stops charging car campers $50-60 per night just to pitch a tent at the Prom . then the local townships will see people come back to the Prom in bigger numbers and the flow on of that will be money going back into the pockets of local businesses.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Return to Victoria