Watch this space...

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Watch this space...

Postby JulianS » Sun 14 Aug, 2016 4:32 pm

I'm sure I'm not the only one who read this with interest?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/new-s ... qroug.html
JulianS
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Watch this space...

Postby Nuts » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 4:02 am

'Big Nature' indeed. Cradle Mt isn't the precedent, location is everything, development at 'Cradle Mt' is, so far, outside the park. Watch as those applying for exclusive rights are the first to define 'inappropriate development' as anything they don't want or that will compete.

Another term I'd like to see bandied about is 'Deep Ecology', in terms of tourism I wish I could share the growth gained by the level playing field of tourists within parks being part of what bushwalkers all experience, basic public huts and campsites hardened to reduce impact or primative, leaving no trace. To take families of the most well heeled where the parents have expressed a desire to 'show the kids just how little is really needed', the ingress of exclusive comfort ( not ability) driven development is an anathema. You lot should fight these developments at every stage. There is some hope in a state where every second person doesn't have some mitigating benefit. Kids employed, someone they know standing to benefit, freind to keep.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Rlgm12 » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 5:41 am

I kinda like the parks how they are, I'd only like to see minor upgrades to facilities at Wilsons prom. It will be interesting to see what they want to do to the twelve apostles.
Rlgm12
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 19 Aug, 2016 6:26 am

The focus of parks is conservation of nature - everything else is secondary. Bushwalkers accept limitations in places like Milford Track, the OLT, The Prom and elsewhere. Parks in Tassie have been closed due to fire. Camping is only at designated places. If too many people visit then it will compromise the experience and require more works to preserve the environment. Certainly have more people in places where they can be sustained and will not have much environmental impact. But no buildings in parks, no more development. These are totally unacceptable. Already with one hut proposed on Razorback near Feathertop in Victoria there's been talk of burning it down. In 1978 Bivouac, Summit and Aertex burnt. Around then huge new signs proclaiming summits were put on many Victorian peaks, misguided management. The signs were all removed within a few years - by bushwalkers. It seems that there was no organisation, just people acting to preserve the mountains from foolish signs. With better communications today I envisage a similar result being possible.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 28 Aug, 2016 9:59 pm

I thought some pyromaniac nutter burnt down all those three huts in the Mt. Bogong area in one day.I would like to see a new hut at the Madison hut /Aertex ruins site but it will never happen.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 28 Aug, 2016 10:01 pm

You toucha da Prom I breaka you face ! ;-P
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria