Kelly hut or Fitzgerald hut water supply?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kelly hut or Fitzgerald hut water supply?

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 4:10 pm

Which hut on the BHP has better access to water in Green season : Kelly hut or Fitzgerald hut ?.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Re: Kelly hut or Fitzgerald hut water supply?

Postby Snowzone » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 6:17 pm

Fitzgerald Hut has a creek that flows well nearby. I cannot remember if there is a water source near Kelly's as I have never looked.
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Xplora » Sat 27 Aug, 2016 5:24 am

The water is closer at Kelly's. Just follow the 107 around the first bend and you come to a small creek. I have never found water close to Fitz's hut but then a again I have never had the need to go searching for it while there. The aqueduct is down the gully a bit. Perhaps Snowzone could elaborate and I will have a look next time I am there. It would be good to have water there as Kelly's hut is pretty manky.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 28 Aug, 2016 9:50 pm

If you had to choose between the two for a campsite would you choose Fitzgerald's hut ? I am looking at doing a hike in the coming green season ,Most Probably in Jan. from Howman's gap to Roper's hut via Spion Kopje . The next day might be a short day to possibly Kelly / Fitzgerald hut . The third day could be to Mt. Cope car park.I foresee a car shuttle with one car at each end.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 5:01 am

Fitz's hut is much better but you really should not need the hut in summer. I'll make it a point to search for water at Fitz's once the snow has gone or even before if I get a chance. There is a creek line on the map not far to the west. I always thought it a bit strange that George Fitzgerald built a hut without a water supply close by so the odds are there is some and I have just not gone far enough afield to find it. I have never camped there but I have had Christmas lunch. The toilet at Fitz's is better than Kelly's as well. The door at Kelly's is a bit close to the forehead when closed and you need to take a head torch during the day. Camping around the hut at both is nice though. They are so close to each other that you could go to both and make a decision.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby gmac » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:08 am

Agree with Xplora Fitz's would be the choice. We were there Jan 2015 with a group and enjoyed the large open space. Water was available located to the west of the hut. As you come down towards the hut go to the right of the hut across the open area and from memory in the greener section of grass you should find a gutter with water flowing. And yes watch the head as you enter the hut.
gmac
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 7:58 pm

The plan is to camp near the hut. I don't use the huts that much in green season whereas in White season they are life savers!..We are heading up to snow camp near Edmondson's hut this weekend in snow shoes but I doubt we will have time to visit Kelly's hut on the way back down Watchbed creek .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Snowzone » Mon 29 Aug, 2016 8:25 pm

Xplora wrote:The water is closer at Kelly's. Just follow the 107 around the first bend and you come to a small creek. I have never found water close to Fitz's hut but then a again I have never had the need to go searching for it while there. The aqueduct is down the gully a bit. Perhaps Snowzone could elaborate and I will have a look next time I am there. It would be good to have water there as Kelly's hut is pretty manky.

Yes there is a small stream to the west of the hut that is usually running. Most people follow a track south downhill to collect water lower down but I have never found this necessary.
Snowzone

Postby Xplora » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 7:08 am

Thanks SZ. I will check it out as this question is asked often enough and I should know for my own sake. We have a preferred camp area not too far away (not telling anyone as it would get crowded) where water is plentiful but have thought of a winter camp at the hut. Running water is better than melting snow.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Tue 30 Aug, 2016 6:19 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The plan is to camp near the hut. I don't use the huts that much in green season whereas in White season they are life savers!..We are heading up to snow camp near Edmondson's hut this weekend in snow shoes but I doubt we will have time to visit Kelly's hut on the way back down Watchbed creek .

I think you might be thinking of Johnstons Hut which is about 1.8km as the crow flies PCV, Kelly Hut is a lot further off and about 6.5 km from Edmondsons as the crow flies.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 4:30 pm

I know exactly where Johnston's hut is. Ditto for Ed. hut. I have been to both of them. Johnston's hut requires an advance booking with a particular ski club whereas Ed. hut does not.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby neilmny » Wed 31 Aug, 2016 4:47 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I know exactly where Johnston's hut is. Ditto for Ed. hut. I have been to both of them. Johnston's hut requires an advance booking with a particular ski club whereas Ed. hut does not.

You mentioned available time so I was thinking of the side trip on the way back out with regard to how far off your return track Kelly Hut takes you when on the way to Watchbed Creek.
At Kelly Hut you end up further from Watchbed Creek than you are at Edmonsons Hut. That's why I thought you might be thinking a side trip to Johnstons and not suggesting you don't know where you are.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria