Bogong Village to The Fainters hike 1,2/10/16

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Bogong Village to The Fainters hike 1,2/10/16

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 12 Sep, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi
I am doing this hike on the Grand final long weekend.Bogong Village to The Fainters hike 1,2/10/16
Is there anything I need to know? . Is there a fence or something , one has to crawl under near the start of the Spring Saddle track ? I have the SV map of the route from Bogong Village to Bogong jack saddle/hut and the twin summits of the Fainters.
We will hike in and hike out using the same route.
There is as I understand it , water should be available some 600 M. up from the hut along the track.
We will camp near the hut .I truly doubt I will need snow pegs for the Bogong jack saddle area on 1,2/10/16.
I might take my snow shoes strapped to my pack just in case we hit some deep drifts near the summit.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.
Region: Victoria

Re: Bogong Village to The Fainters hike 1,2/10/16

Postby stansi » Tue 13 Sep, 2016 1:24 am

It's a long road slog.
stansi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 13 Sep, 2016 6:34 am

When I was there last there was a fence at the bottom. It was possible to crawl under the gate, and it may be possible to walk around. The fence is on a steep scrubby slope. On the first terrace at probably the SE corner of the biggest building there's a tap. About ten minutes up where the road goes from NW to nearly south there ponds. On the next bend - maybe several - there's small tanks. The creek before The Springs should be running. This is are the last water until 600 metres before Bogong Jack, should be reliable. There may be some snow on the track, but I think not. The clearing at Bogong Jack is sunny, and given the recent warm spell will probably be snowless, especially the south side. Nice campsites on the clearing above the hut. It should take a morning to get to BJ, a slog.

I can't see the need for snowshoes for Fainter North. The track from BJ to Fainter North is on the north side, and if this is as far as you are going then snow shoes are probably unnecessary. Beyond that is a plateau at 1800 metres, high enough for drifts to form. Snow depends on the weather.

Edit. Forgot that the maxium size was 1 MB! Merde.
Bogong Village-Fainters.png
Outdoor Leisure map 1:50 Bogong Alpine Area 1991
Bogong Village-Fainters.png (774.36 KiB) Viewed 8194 times
Last edited by Lophophaps on Tue 13 Sep, 2016 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Map not display
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 13 Sep, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks for the info. We might head up to South Summit too.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby swills » Wed 14 Sep, 2016 8:29 pm

A mate and I walked up from Bogong Dam carpark to Tawonga Huts a few years ago. A long road walk, but pleasant enough. We should have camped around the Fainters, there was a good creek but all the Snow gum clumps were burnt out and the area very exposed. If the weather looks terrible up from Bogong Jacks then camp there and do a day walk up. We should have left the packs up on the main road and then driven down to park near the cafe (wasn't open on departure or return).
swills
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 15 Sep, 2016 10:29 pm

That is good tip about leaving the packs near the trail head on the main road and parking down in the village. :-)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 6:50 pm

It has been snowing up there quite a bit so snow shoes are being packed along with other white season gear. As long as we can get under/ around the gate/fence at the start of the hike then everything will sort itself out.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 1:16 pm

We pulled the pin on this trip . The weather was just wrong!!. We went up to Falls Creek instead to snow shoe over to Pretty Valley instead .However the weather near Scotty's chair and the Ruined Castle was worse!. We chucked it in. Better safe than sorry in driving icy winds, savage relentless rain and a whiteout. Our gloves were soaking wet and hypothermia was a real risk .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 2:08 pm

I have a report from Harrietville about people coming down the Bungalow very wet indeed. The report says that it's been quite damp of late, rain and sloppy snow for months, with about 600 mm of snow at Federation.

Better safe than sorry is good.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 6:02 pm

Yes, it is a bit disappointing not getting one's wild nature fix the way it was planned ( according to plan A or plan B ) but everyone has said I made the right decision.Verily just after lunch I said this hike is over , rather than trying to be a hero . The safety of the group comes first. Why risk it? . The navigation up there near the Lorna Dunkley shelter was sketchy even with a map and compass and the rain, wind and visibility were becoming worse. A true whiteout and abysmally wet ,cold ,slushy , windy and miserable. People wonder how bad could it get in the high country in terms of weather that could kill you in a number of hours above the tree line . Well that was the worst we have had this white season.
It was worse than the powder snow whiteout we had at Fed. hut in August!!!.
There is a lot of slushy wet heavy deep snow up there at Falls Creek.
Mt Bogong will have back country south facing slopes still holding good deep cover for some more weeks yet if XC skiing is the trip you are on. I am tempted to make a snow shoe trip from Charlotte's pass to the Blue Lake before it all melts!!.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria