Helicopter Spur - The Bluff on Grand Final weekend?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Helicopter Spur - The Bluff on Grand Final weekend?

Postby Drew » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 12:54 pm

The warm weather in early spring had me predicting an early end to the snow so I tentatively planned the following circuit:
Day 1: 8 Mile Flat to Upper Howqua along the river
Day 2: Upper Howqua to Bluff Hut via Helicopter Spur
Day 3: Bluff Hut to 8 Mile Flat via The Bluff and 8 Mile Spur
I did the same circuit at the same time last year but it was a much warmer start to spring - it was actually quite hot walking weather.

The recent (and forecast) weather are giving me second thoughts. I think Helicopter Spur is low enough that it should be pretty much snow free (unless there are new falls of course). The concerning bit is the very steep descent from The Bluff, which would be very tricky in snow (tricky enough without it).

Any thoughts on current snow levels?

My backup plan was to do an overnighter in Lerderderg Gorge (been meaning to for years). I guess it could present its own problems with a potentially high river level...

Thanks
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: Helicopter Spur - The Bluff on Grand Final weekend?

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 1:51 pm

Drew, this is viable the way you describe it. I'm not sure where the route will go upstream of Pikes Flat. The road does a big loop, and there may be a foot track. I think there's a nice campsite at the foot of Helicopter Spur on the river. Unless there's a big fall of snow, most if not all of Helicopter Spur should be clear. It faces NW and catches the sun. About 800 metres distance from the road is 1500 metres and the climbing eases off. This is where I'd expect drifts. The rest of that day is 1500-1700 metres or so, and hence possible snow.

Going over The Bluff could be interesting if the weather breaks, in which case dive down the road from Bluff Hut. There's a few campsites west of Bluff Hut on the ridges. The north face of The Bluff is steep and the track could be interesting in bad weather. However, if it's just snow then with care it should be okay provided you go between the rocks and not over them. Big slides to get down. I've done it on skis, and I was going up. LOL.

I'd look at the ski reports for Falls Creek and Mt Hotham, monitoring the snow depth. Also look at the weather reports and forecast. This is an unsettled time to be in the alps.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drew » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 2:17 pm

Cheers Lophophaps.

Yep, just along the road after Pikes Flat - a fairly boring bit but there's some nice forest and the road is closed. I guess there could be a foot track - I didn't stop to look for one last time. And yes, nice camping at the foot of Helicopter Spur at Upper Howqua.

The Bluff descent worries me a bit. Even if not snowy it will most likely be very wet from recent snow. But it would be a shame do this circuit and end up skipping The Bluff itself.

I guess I'll see what the weather does in the next week or so. If anyone happens to be up there in that time it would be great to hear a first hand report.
Drew

Postby north-north-west » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 4:43 pm

Depending on what time you expect to start the descent of the Bluff, you might want to take spikes. That face can be very icy and it doesn't get morning sun.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 6:12 pm

north-north-west wrote:Depending on what time you expect to start the descent of the Bluff, you might want to take spikes. That face can be very icy and it doesn't get morning sun.

Good point. Also, if it's a cold day, regardless of any sun the slope may be frozen. At Bluff Hut a decision needs to be made - out via the road or The Bluff. Maybe take 20 metres of 7 mm rope and abseil down the slippery bits. If taking rope, please also take some lengths or loops of old rope to put around the trees. Thread the 7 mm rope through that and the trees will not get ringbarked. The slope is about 60 degrees in places, tres steep.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drew » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 6:16 pm

Yes, excellent point NNW. Might think of another plan unless there's a run of warmer weather. We'll have a relative newbie on the walk so abseiling down icy slopes is probably best avoided!
Drew

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 8:21 pm

Going up the Bluff in sunny and/ or settled overcast weather with the track surface offering wet and slippery conditions with water running over the escarpment rocks in Late May 2016, it was all a bit hairy and a bit scary . Going down there at any time is not on my list of things to do at all.
I would not enjoy hiking up or down there with ice or snow on that escarpment .
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 20 Sep, 2016 8:57 pm

Drew wrote:Yes, excellent point NNW. Might think of another plan unless there's a run of warmer weather. We'll have a relative newbie on the walk so abseiling down icy slopes is probably best avoided!

Relative newbie is another aspect. Agree, steep slopes and novice walker not a good combination. Even if it's warm The Bluff may be oozing moisture and if it gets below zero that day, not good. Ascending Helicopter Spur may be a bit much for this person. The 20 metre rope is looking more necessary, person or packs. If the road is open, why not drive around Stirling into the Upper Howqua. Up H Spur, over to Howitt, and then down somewhere? The Crosscut is one of the best sections on the AAWT, good water and camping at Spec - if there's no snow. A few possible hairy rocky steps in places.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 10:29 am

The Cross cut saw has some gnarly steep bits, some over grown sections approaching Mt. Buggery from Mt. Howitt and some steep rocky bits which are not for the acrophobic novice.
The Howitt spur is good for a fit newbie but is still overgrown in places.
The 8 Mile spur track has been cleared and tagged in places so that is just steep not hairy and scary .If you kept going via the Bluff hut road instead of the Bluff escarpment you could make it to Mt. Magdala on day two . At this time of the year Hellfire creek would be flowing and the campsite at the Saddle there is superb. Then head for a descent down the Howitt spur to the Upper Howqua on day 3 . The rest is easy, just following the river back to 8 Mile flat.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 10:48 am

Paidal chalne vala, tend to agree. An assessment about the steep bits can be made when ascending Helicopter Spur, which is similar to the steep bits on Crosscut. The track fades a bit as described, but it's not hard in good weather. Howitt Spur is not as steep as The Bluff. Is the gate at Telephone Box Junction or nearby open?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Drew » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 10:39 pm

I'm confident the newbie can handle Helicopter Spur - I've taken newbies up it before. It's not really that bad. Worse going down of course (I'm yet to try that).

The 8 Mile spur track has been cleared and tagged in places so that is just steep not hairy and scary .If you kept going via the Bluff hut road instead of the Bluff escarpment you could make it to Mt. Magdala on day two . At this time of the year Hellfire creek would be flowing and the campsite at the Saddle there is superb. Then head for a descent down the Howitt spur to the Upper Howqua on day 3 . The rest is easy, just following the river back to 8 Mile flat.

Yep, Hellfire Creek is one of my favourite campsites. But I think Hellfire Creek - Howitt Spur - Upper Howqua - 8 Mile Flat is a big day! Sounds more like a 4 day circuit. Or a big 3 days without newbies.

Is the gate at Telephone Box Junction or nearby open?

Not sure. I've done that circuit a few times though. Might look for something different if canning the original plan. Maybe Tali Karng the easy way.
Drew

Postby neilmny » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 6:06 am

Circuit Road at TBJ -
"Circuit Road from Telephone Box Junction (north to King Saddle and south to Howqua Gap) will be closed from 10 June 2016 until 28 October 2016."
From - http://rmb.mtbuller.com.au/stirling_road_closures.php
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 6:57 pm

Lake TK over Wellington plain is a great walk. Using the Nyimba campsite as a base camp, the Rigall's spur route to the lake as a day trip is less steep and torturous than The Gillio's track is. The Rigall's spur track has been cleared and it was good to walk on in Feb. 2016 when we were there last. In Sept./Oct. there is still the chance of being snowed on out on the Wellington high plains. It is a poo... place to be caught in during foul weather.You just have to keep walking since only Miller's hut ( a creepy and decrepit shambles) can offer any shelter apart from tents in fertilizer like weather.
I have yet to ascend via Helicopter spur but if it is easier than the Bluff then I should give it a go.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 7:52 pm

Tali via McFarlane Saddle has a problem in that if it snows there could be a long journey in cars to lose altitude. Going around Stirling has a similar problem, although the higher reaches are shorter in distance. Think about a 4WD for either.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 23 Sep, 2016 1:54 pm

I would take snow shovels and chains just in case if you leave the car/s at MacFarlane saddle in Sept./Oct.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Drew » Mon 26 Sep, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks for all the replies. With the horrible weather forecast for Friday I certainly won't be heading to the high country. The Grampians forecast wasn't so bad last I looked. Might go there instead. Or I might just watch the footy!
Drew

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 11:46 pm

We are heading up to the Fainters this long weekend come rain ,snow or shine !!!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria