Big river and Rocky valley creek crossing.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Big river and Rocky valley creek crossing.

Postby highplainsflamingo » Wed 21 Sep, 2016 4:47 pm

Hey all,

Planning a hike for in the next few weeks. I was just wondering what the water levels are like this time of year crossing the Big river on the AAWT and the Rockey valley creek near Howmans gap. Was thinking about going from Mountain creek to Howmans gap as a two-day hike, or....

mountain creek - cleve cole hut - spion kopje - grey hills - Mt Arthur - Bogong village. 3 days

Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.
highplainsflamingo
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Big river and Rocky valley creek crossing.

Postby Xplora » Thu 22 Sep, 2016 5:24 am

This wold probably be better placed in the Victoria section. Lops can move it there but to give you the information you require - Your second option would be safer at this time of year. Big River crossing at the bottom of T spur has a chain but even holding onto that when the water is high is hard. It took my legs clean off the bottom one November. The Mitta is running high at the moment so I suspect this crossing to be worse than when I tried. Can't advise on Rocky Valley Creek at the moment but someone else may. I suspect it will be much the same. Still good snow coverage on Bogong. Is the diversion to Cleve Cole necessary? I would skip it and head to Bogong Creek saddle down Quartz but then it may not end up being 3 days. What happened to doing Feathertop? As mentioned before, weather is not settled this time of year so pick your days carefully. I have been on Bogong when you cannot even follow the snow poles to Quartz ridge. Once at Bogong Creek saddle you have another exit point down the road (instead of doing Grey Hills) or other wise know as Roper spur. This can get you to Mt. Beauty or the BHP road. Then there is Little Mt. Arthur to Bogong village. Another reason why your second choice is better and safer this time of year. I doubt you would do Mountain Creek to Howman's Gap in 2 days this time of year anyway.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby north-north-west » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 1:59 pm

If the thaw is still underway, both the river and the creek will be running high.
The chain on the river is only helpful if it's in place - it can be shifted during spring floods (or during a heavy thaw). I've been down there at least once this time of year and found the chain stretched out along the river bank on one side.
You might be better off using the alternative route over Mt Arthur - you cross Rocky Valley Creek by bridge near the village rather than fording it on the SK track.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 03 Oct, 2016 6:07 pm

I was up at Falls Creek and Mt. Buffalo on the weekend.The whole Kiewa/Ovens/King /Buckland/Mitta Mitta River systems are flooded. I would not go near any water crossing until Jan. 2017 thank you very much. There is soooooo much water lying in the fields along the snow road, cascading off Mt. Buffalo , every bleeding where. It is crazy wet up there!!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Drew » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 12:39 pm

The Mt Beauty Parks Vic office can sometimes advise whether the chain is in place. But yes, even with the chain it might be dodgy at the moment. I'm thinking of a walk involving that crossing on Cup Weekend but am hesitant.
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Xplora » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 1:11 pm

Drew wrote:The Mt Beauty Parks Vic office can sometimes advise whether the chain is in place. But yes, even with the chain it might be dodgy at the moment. I'm thinking of a walk involving that crossing on Cup Weekend but am hesitant.
Parks Mt. Beauty are aware the chain is broken and it is on the to do list. Not sure when it will be done though. The river is still high and not suitable to cross without the chain and I would give some serious thought to not crossing even if the chain was in place.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Mon 17 Oct, 2016 2:34 pm

Ah, thanks for that Xplora. In that case it's definitely off the agenda.
Drew

Postby Thewaz » Tue 18 Oct, 2016 4:28 pm

Was hoping to hike down T spur and up to Ropers in late November. If the river is not crossable by then is there any camping near there?
Thanks
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 4:43 am

Thewaz wrote:Was hoping to hike down T spur and up to Ropers in late November. If the river is not crossable by then is there any camping near there?
Thanks

There is a nice spot to camp on the T spur side of the crossing but a large tree had fallen across it last summer so it is not as roomy. Glad nobody was camped there at the time. This crossing has turned me around early November but maybe the thaw will be over by the time you get there. There should also be some better first hand information about the state of the crossing by then. Nearly 50mm of rain at Falls this week alone and more snow yesterday. Bogong was showing bare patches Monday and I will get a better view today on the way to' Big' town. Saw some video on the weekend of people skiing on Bogong last week and he said it was magic.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 8:34 am

I was up on the Main range in NSW on the weekend and there is still a truck load of snow x 10000000 up there so that has to melt and the water has to go somewhere. This means the thaw in the Oz Alps will continue into Nov. for sure. Take care or change your plans if planning any river crossings before Dec. 2016 !!!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Thewaz » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 8:56 am

Thanks guys.
Am really keen but will touch base in a few weeks to see how we are looking on the Big River crossing.
Might start looking at an alternative 3 nighter just in case.
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 20 Oct, 2016 6:28 pm

You could try this hike.
Day one:Hike the 8 Mile spur to the Bluff hut.
Day two:try and see if you can make it to Hellfire Creek campsite near Mt . Magdala
Day three : Hellfire Creek to Mt. Howitt and down the Howitt spur to the upper Howqua campsite .
You'd be stretching it to get back to 8 Mile flat the same day but if you left a second car at the upper Howqua that could work. It is hinges on whether Parks will open the roads on cup day or not. If They don't you could make it to Bindaree hut or as far as Ritchie's hut and then slog the last bit out , only 2 hours or so early the next day and then drive out and head home.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Thewaz » Tue 15 Nov, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi guys.
Was wondering if anyone has crossed the big river recently at bottom of T spur? Is the chain up and what is the river like?
Thanks
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Mon 21 Nov, 2016 3:52 am

Chatting with PV from Mt. Beauty and I am told the Big River crossing should be good now. A school group has gone over recently but the chain is still down. They are advising solo hikers to still go via Quartz until the chain is repaired. She gets a lot of calls about this crossing with people asking what the depth is and she tells them 'I have not been up there today to check'. The chain is on a priority to repair.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Thewaz » Mon 21 Nov, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks and that's right.
We went down T Spur up Duane Ridge crossing the river without a worry. The chain is down but water only knee deep, still flowing strong.
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Victoria