Mountain Creek Rd, Mt Bogong.

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mountain Creek Rd, Mt Bogong.

Postby Thewaz » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 11:57 am

Was wondering about the current condition of Mountain Creek Rd at the base of Bogong. is it drivable to the base of Staircase or even Eskdale spurs?
Thanks.
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mountain Creek Rd, Mt Bogong.

Postby north-north-west » Sat 08 Oct, 2016 6:55 pm

Regardless of the condition of the track (and it is a 4wd track once you get in a little bit), I think the gates would still be closed this time of year.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Xplora » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 4:55 am

north-north-west wrote:Regardless of the condition of the track (and it is a 4wd track once you get in a little bit), I think the gates would still be closed this time of year.

This is true but once open you can drive in a high clearance 4wd to the bottom of the staircase. There are a few creek crossings and some branches that will scratch your car. I would check with Parks at Mt. Beauty about this for more accurate information. They may keep it closed longer. Some consideration is being given to seasonally closed roads at the moment in their area. This road is due to open on the 27/10 but you should ring first.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 3:47 pm

If one is a bushwalker, one walks, I reckon. What's this driving nonsense?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Thewaz » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks guys, will check closer.
And one is a bushwalker, we are just going to be pushing major time on our last day of 4 days hiking over Bogong and Mt Nelse. I know its only 3 km but as we have a 5 hour drive home, that extra little time at the end will make a difference and save an hour walking on tired legs.
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby stansi » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 6:38 pm

You can drive any car into Camp Creek Gap via Trappers Gap. No need to use Mountain Creek.
stansi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 8:45 pm

Nearly or most cars can handle the Trappers Gap track to Camp Creek Gap. My little Jap mobile would be borderline /marginal on that road. That is why I went up there in my friend's 4 WD in early August.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby stansi » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 9:56 pm

The road has been designed for log trucks (jinkers) with a 30 tonne payload. The only problem Your likely to encounter is trees down across the road. Hence take a chain saw as advised by steve on "ski.com.au"
stansi
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 6:26 am

Thewaz wrote:Thanks guys, will check closer.
And one is a bushwalker, we are just going to be pushing major time on our last day of 4 days hiking over Bogong and Mt Nelse. I know its only 3 km but as we have a 5 hour drive home, that extra little time at the end will make a difference and save an hour walking on tired legs.

If you are planning to do this soon and also plan to cross Big River at the bottom of T spur then you may have to put it off for a while. Quartz ridge and the Grey Hills would be a better option then return via Timms Spur where you can cross Big River at a shallower point. Once all the snow is gone things should be better but these rain events are causing some problems at the moment. The river will fall quickly after a big rain event but there is still a melt happening which sustains the flow.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby peregrinator » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 8:04 am

stansi wrote:You can drive any car into Camp Creek Gap via Trappers Gap. No need to use Mountain Creek.

Yes, exactly. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my post.

Given that access point, plus the number of walkers who use Mountain Creek Road, wouldn't it make sense for it to be a MVO?
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 11:55 am

A trip over Bogong is planned for the end of November. The second day will be Cleve Cole-T Spur-Big River-Ropers, manybe a bit further. I'm now wondering if the route should be Quartz Knob-Timms or Grey Hills to avoid drowning at the foot of T Spur. Thoughts on the river at T Spur would be valued.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 3:16 pm

I steer clear of Alpine river crossings in Spring , esp. where Duane spur and The T spur meet where the chain spans the river .We did it in March this year and it was very safe and easy to cross.
I would not cross the creek at Howman's gap heading up towards Spion Kopje until Jan. for the same reasons.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks for that, will probably go down Quartz Ridge. Up Staircase, summit at about noon. It's about 12 kilometres return to Howmans Falls and a bit of a climb back, followed by a short stroll to camp under West Peak at Stirling Gap. Or maybe camp at Cleve Cole, short arvo trip to Howmans, and the next day Bogong and Quartz Ridge. Might go over Mt Arthur. Maybe keep the plans flexible and see what the weather is doing.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 9:41 pm

The weather is cranky in October in the Oz Alps. That is why I am thinking about doing day trips up on the Main Range in NSW.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 4:51 am

The end of November is still a long way away and things may be quite different by then, especially once the snow has gone. The Mitta Mitta at Joker is running around 2m and rises to around 2.5m after each rain event and 3m on the last one. I would think once it was settled at 1.3m the crossing at T spur should be doable given the smaller catchment above. You can check the level at Joker here. http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDV67209/IDV6 ... .plt.shtml It is only an indication but 1.3m is around normal for it. I do like Quartz and the Grey Hills though. Very different to T spur and Duanne.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lophophaps » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 5:56 am

Xplora, that's useful but I'll be over a day away from current online river level details, so I'll go down Quartz Ridge, which I have not done for a while. Another option if the weather is fine is to go up Staircase to Bivouac at night. At the bottom I'm fairly sure that there are foot tracks around all the river crossings except a bridge near the gate. Start Staircase at dusk, Bivouac about 9 pm, should be fun. This makes Howmans Falls much more viable, camp at West Peak, where there should be water.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Xplora » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 5:03 am

Staircase in the evening would be great. I would think you would make the helipad the next day easily and the water at the saddle is most reliable. Still I think you will be able to make a decision well before the allotted time and it would only be affected by huge rain which you will observe personally.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby davidj » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 2:46 pm

It looked like it was open when I was there on Monday. The only issue with driving on it between the camp ground and the bottom of the Staircase might be the creek crossings. The water isn't very deep, but it's moving quickly. But I don't know anything about 4WDing.
davidj
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria