Mt Feathertop/Mt Hotham Hike 15th October - Snow?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Feathertop/Mt Hotham Hike 15th October - Snow?

Postby ADH » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has been past Mt Feathertop/Razorback from Diamantina Hut recently? Would be interested to know how much snow is on the ground, and whether a hike would be viable (planning on going to MUMC hut from Diamantina hut via Razorback). If someones happened to have gone past on the way to Hotham or done the route recently would be great to hear from you. Have done this route several times, but never this early in the year.

Thanks!
ADH
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Mt Feathertop/Mt Hotham Hike 15th October - Snow?

Postby Thewaz » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 6:24 pm

Have a friend that lives in Smoko, she just looked out her window, Feathertop has a little but she says the Razorback is snowless.
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby oyster_07 » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 6:34 pm

oyster_07
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby ADH » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 8:32 pm

Great, thanks so much!
ADH
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 8:40 pm

There would still be some snow in the chutes facing the Fainters on Mt. FT and the Razorback but not enough to worry about utilizing snow shoes on. However late into the white season there are sometimes some deep drifts on the upper Diamantina spur , where it is sheltered from the afternoon sun.
I was up at Falls Creek last weekend in a white out with freezing wind and driving rain heading for Pretty valley Hut and the snow was at least a metre deep going cross country SW by a compass direction in a pea souper , heading up to the Summit area of the resort.
October's Alpine weather can be cranky and you must be able to navigate when you cannot see your hand in front of your face.
Last edited by paidal_chalne_vala on Mon 10 Oct, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby ADH » Sun 09 Oct, 2016 9:33 pm

From the sounds of that, snow shoes would definitely be a good idea. Thanks
ADH
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 7:53 am

Oyster_07, the Hotham pictures are instructive, thanks for the link. Snow falls by altitude and melts by attitude, so the higher eastern and southern slopes probably still have snow. As there will be patches and the ground is cold, a decent snowfall could join the patches. It will probably be a bit marginal for walking sans snow shoes for a few weeks at least. Expect ice in the mornings, including on grass.

Edit: I had western slopes. Snow blows with the prevailing wind, in general settling on the eastern slopes.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 3:18 pm

If I go to Charlotte Pass next weekend or to Falls Ck or out Hotham way I am taking full white season gear incl. snow shoes and micro spikes , snow pegs, trekking poles with snow baskets on the bottoms etc. the full caboodle.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 5:16 pm

In many areas at this time of year I have found snow shoes a big pain. Too much grass and I would rather just walk in the snow with good boots, unless of course there is a fresh dump and then snow shoes can be a big pain as well. Edit - I should explain that a fresh dump without a firm base will mean you still sink in your snow shoes and then the snow falls on your snow shoes so you have to lift the extra weight out which is harder than post holing it depending on the depth.
Last edited by Xplora on Tue 11 Oct, 2016 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Explorer_Sam » Mon 10 Oct, 2016 5:20 pm

For what it's worth, I was on Feathertop on the 22nd and 23rd of September. There was still plenty of snow on the eastern slopes from Fed Hut to the summit. Went up at 4 pm on the Thursday in soft and slushy conditions, then again on some firm ice at 8 am the next morning. Probably not relevant as this was a few weeks ago.
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 5:29 am

There was a significant dump a week ago but also significant rain so the net effect would be a loss of snow. I can still see snow on BHP (1700m) and Bogong but more grass is appearing every day and there is nothing coming this week to add to it. Warmer weather from Thursday will also see more melt but overnight temps will cause a freeze and it will be firm for a few hours in the morning. I would never suggest to anyone who wanted to take all the winter gear this time of year not to do so but personally I would not bother with the extra weight. It is easier to plough through with good boots than take keep putting your snow shoes on and then taking them off for the next bit of grass. If you are unsure then it is better to be safe. I was watching some people approaching Fed hut one time, late in the day, and they stopped for a long time about half a km from the hut just as it started to snow. They were too far away to see what was going on. They had come over the Razorback and it was grass (Sept) and the track was clear. When they arrived I asked why they had stopped for so long when so close to the hut and it was to put their snow shoes on because it started snowing. It did not take long to work out these people had no experience in the snow.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 12:45 pm

I know it will be wet and slushy from past experience but skis and snowshoes probably not needed, full storm gear is tho so you're right there to be sure to be sure.
Headed up to PV the week-end after to get my busted tents and other gear and I'm hoping the PV road is unlocked by then
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 11 Oct, 2016 9:37 pm

Snow must be at least 20-30 cm deep for me to put my snow shoes on. It must be boiler plate style surface I C Y for me to put on my micro spikes. Other wise Boots and kicking steps will always be a good option in slush and thin snow cover and much quicker.
I am heading up to Charlotte Pass this weekend so I will take all three options in my kit.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 5:08 am

Moondog55 wrote:Headed up to PV the week-end after to get my busted tents and other gear and I'm hoping the PV road is unlocked by then

Good luck with that. I have my doubts they will open early this year. You could give Parks Mt. Beauty a call. I think they have the say on that road. My thoughts are the 27th but if the open BHP earlier then they may open PV. Still doubtful with all this recent rain but at least it would help clear the road of snow which also helps to dry it out in a strange sort of way.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 12 Oct, 2016 11:34 am

A little birdie tells me that Block 24 road from Howman's Gap is open ( in as much that the gate has been unlocked), but still has snow on it up on the switchbacks approaching Mt. McKay.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 6:47 am

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:A little birdie tells me that Block 24 road from Howman's Gap is open ( in as much that the gate has been unlocked), but still has snow on it up on the switchbacks approaching Mt. McKay.

Is this the road to the power station? Should you be on that road even if the gate is open? It is not a road for MD's ute anyway. I think there is a second gate on the track to Mt. Mackay.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 4:33 pm

The road to the power station is a separate one that starts at the elbow about 2km below Howman's Gap and ends at the power station.
It looks like there are other tracks that switchback up to meet with Road 24 from McKay Creek power station which are not part of Road 24.
Road 24 comes in basically right at Howman's Gap and runs up to Mt. McKay Rd. near Ruined Castle at Falls Creek.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Thu 13 Oct, 2016 5:18 pm

NEILMNY is correct. NO trespassing is involved and the ascent is more sheltered as a route to Pretty Valley via Ruined Castle.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xplora » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 5:11 am

Thanks for the info. I will have a look one day when passing. Will have to wait for BHP to open.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 14 Oct, 2016 8:23 am

Road 24 is wet, muddy and lots of fallen trees at the moment according to fellers at the ski forum.
Still snow covering parts of the PV road but it should be OK by next payday for me; boom is down but the padlock isn't there I'm told by the same folks
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Fri 21 Oct, 2016 8:54 am

Yes that well may be true about road 24 but by Jan. it will help make this 3 days and two nights summer hiking loop possible.
Howman's Gap/ Spion Kopje/ Fitzgerald Hut/

Ryder's hut/

Pretty valley Hut/ Mt McKay/ Rd.24 / Howman's Gap.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Victoria