Lake Tali Karng via Gillios Track

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Tali Karng via Gillios Track

Postby JohnStrider » Tue 01 Nov, 2016 9:35 pm

Part two of my weekend away saw my group and I visit Lake Tali Karng on Sunday. The weather was fairly good to us the entire day until about 4pm. However, we were back at Nyimba camp site.

The track from the campsite to a small junction is fairly straight forward and only lasts a couple of hundred metres. At the junction, you have two ways of getting to the lake.

1. The Riggals Spur Track, which you then follow the Echo Point Track to the lake, is longer but not as hard as the next track.
2. Gillios Track is quite steep and drops 600 metres quite quickly in elevation.

We took the Gillios track and came back up the EP/RS track to come back.

The lake itself is absolutely stunning. While there isn't a lot to do there, you can chuck a line in or go for a swim in the chilly waters. I knew that camping was forbidden there but wasn't sure of the reasons why (thought it might have just been PV being tight). However, I have since learnt that it is considered a sacred place by a particular Aboriginal tribe and we have been given permission to visit but not stay. Needless to say, there was evidence of people having stayed there. Gotta wonder why people feel the need the need to be so disrespectful.

Anyway, I have blogged about it here: http://www.thehikingsociety.com.au/2016/11/01/lake-tali-karng-via-gillios-track/. Hope you enjoy the read!

Here are some pics from our day...

JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Lake Tali Karng via Gillios Track

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 2:01 pm

The water level looks quite high. Scrambling around the Lake to visit the waterfalls at the opposite end may have been ....." interesting" .I have thought of taking an inflatable whatchamacallit and paddling across the Lake!
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby JohnStrider » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 3:51 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:The water level looks quite high. Scrambling around the Lake to visit the waterfalls at the opposite end may have been ....." interesting" .I have thought of taking an inflatable whatchamacallit and paddling across the Lake!

Haha yeah that would be fun! One of the guys in our group did mention that the lake was much higher than usual hence accessing the waterfall would have been difficult. Sitting the base of Gillios Track, I couldn't really see a flat track on the other side of the lake that you could access the waterfall.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby north-north-west » Wed 02 Nov, 2016 4:31 pm

There isn't a track to the falls - you just rock hop around and up the creek.

It's fascinating when the levels are lower - much of the lower creek runs under the rocks, so the water levels increase as you go upstream.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby JohnStrider » Thu 03 Nov, 2016 9:09 pm

north-north-west wrote:There isn't a track to the falls - you just rock hop around and up the creek.

It's fascinating when the levels are lower - much of the lower creek runs under the rocks, so the water levels increase as you go upstream.

Good to know! Thanks NNW :)
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria