Camping Rules/Laws?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Camping Rules/Laws?

Postby c00kiebr0s » Wed 09 Nov, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi, my cousin and i want to go camping at Wilsons prom or terrible hollow, but i am unclear on the rules and cant find anything.
what i want to know is can you just walk into the bush off the tracks and camp? like not at a camp ground.
also what are the rules on fires?
thanks.
c00kiebr0s
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Camping Rules/Laws?

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 09 Nov, 2016 2:11 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Wilsons Prom and the Terrible Hollow are quite different. The Prom is mainly easy, all good tracks, highly regulated. The Terrible Hollow is mainly hard, mainly no tracks, no regulation. So perhaps you should define what sort of trip you want.

Depending on where you go it may be necessary to book well ahead (like The Prom) and pay to camp, or just go, no bookings, no fees. The latter is most of Victoria. Some places have camping platforms, like the Bogong High Plains. These need to be booked but most experienced people camp 100 metres away and pay no fees. Some platforms are badly sited, quite exposed.

With some limitations it's permitted to camp anywhere. This is part of the experience - camping in a new spot where no-one has been for a while. Fireplaces diminish this experience.

In general, fires are banned or frowned upon close to huts and in all alpine regions. Fires may be possible lower if there's enough wood, so popular spots do not have fires. There's a trend towards using stoves on all walks. Be very, very careful about fires on hot windy days. Starting a bushfire is ill-advised.

Look at Parks Victoria
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/
for more information.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby c00kiebr0s » Wed 09 Nov, 2016 2:25 pm

I would like to go right out in the bush but my cousin is not so sure about so she wants to go to Wilsons prom but still out in the bush.

parks vic says wilsons prom has no fee free options, so if we pay can still go where or do you have to stick to the camp grounds?
it also says "Off-track hiking permits are unavailable due to increased risk of land slips in the park. The situation will be reviewed on a regular basis" do you need a permit or can you just go in?

sorry if i sound dumb its just a bit confusing. thanks
c00kiebr0s
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 09 Nov, 2016 3:14 pm

There's no such thing as a foolish question, just foolish answers. Asking is good; many do not and some die.

It's possible to go to many places that do not have the restrictions of Wilsons Prom. At The Prom you have to camp where you said you would camp, which is not to everyone's liking. For now, I suggest leaving The Prom for the future and find a walk that is easier to organise that does not require lead-times or booking.

Can you please give an idea of how long you want to go away for, how far you are prepared to travel, where you live, and how hard a walk you want? Also, are there any places that appeal - beach, alps, Grampians, desert?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby c00kiebr0s » Wed 09 Nov, 2016 3:58 pm

I was wanting to go for about 2-5 nights and i dont mind walking alot and my cousin wants to do a lot of days hikes and stuff. Also i really like the vic alps and would love to do the crosscut saw track and go into the terrible hollow from there if possible but not sure how long that would take. Also i live in Melbourne so its not that far.
c00kiebr0s
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 09 Nov, 2016 5:10 pm

There's a number of day walks on the Snowy Plains, which leads to Howitt and the Crosscut Saw. Day trips from Howitt would be out and back, the same track. The Terrible Hollow is not a place for new starters of any fitness. It's rough and largely untracked, with minimal escape routes. You could approach via Mansfield, shorter drive, more climbing, but again limited day trips.

Another option is the Bogong High Plains. See
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24435
for a description of a circular walk. The high Plains is fairly flat, friendly off-track sections, well marked tracks, good sheltered campsites, good water in many places, and no fees. This is an easier option than near Howitt, with quieter campsites if you look.

For five days I think the High Plains is better as an initial walk.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby c00kiebr0s » Fri 11 Nov, 2016 1:07 pm

Thanks for the info, i think we'll just got camping at the prom and do something a bit adventuress next time. just wondering for later down the road, is it possible to get into the terrible hollow from the crosscut saw track?
c00kiebr0s
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby damoprz » Fri 11 Nov, 2016 2:34 pm

Possible, but not easy.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 12 Nov, 2016 9:55 am

The hiking routes past the start of the Cross cut saw from Mt. Howitt/ Mac. Springs are part of an unmarked wilderness area.Indeed being able to navigate successfully and find water will make a difference to what happens to you out there.
The Bogong High plains have pole lines for easier navigation and a hut at each campsite.You can do a loop that would take up to 4 nights over 65 kms if you desire. The weather is cranky up there so you 'll need to be well equipped & well prepared for bad weather in an exposed mountain area.
Start with easier stuff such as the southern Prom and work from there. The Northern Prom is hardcore and you will have to fill out a form that proves you that can hack it.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 21 Nov, 2016 8:41 pm

I'm not too familiar with some of the hikes you are mentioning, but how experienced are you and camping with hiking/bushwalking and camping? That will help us give you some more accurate suggestions :)
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria