great ocean hike

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

great ocean hike

Postby kirbox87 » Fri 11 Nov, 2016 9:54 pm

hi there,
im new to this forum so i apologise if it has already been discussed!
im after some advise on transport for the great ocean road hike. im not ready to tackle all of the hike, so my plan is to hike from apollo bay to johanna beach.
i am driving there from melbourne and was thinking of leaving my car at the end (johanna beach) and getting some form of transport back to the start at apollo bay.
would appreciate any advise or ideas?
Thanks!
kirbox87
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: great ocean hike

Postby damoprz » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 7:20 pm

Are you only one person? It makes things a little tricky. We did this earlier in the year and were looking into ways to avoid a car shuttle, but ended up just borrowing a 2nd car and doing that.

The coach service doesn't have many pick-ups between Apollo bay and the 12 Apostles. While there are private company's that will shuttle you it is pricey if you don't fit in one of their groups. When we looked into a Taxi it was ~$120. I don't know if there would be any Uber drivers in the area.

If I was to do it solo I think I would just try hitch-hiking. Or there is a sub-forum here to look for help with lifts.

Sorry, this probably wasn't much help.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby kirbox87 » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 8:12 pm

Thanks for your help. We changed our plans and walking from Johanna to 12 apostles. Leaving our car at the end and taking a taxi to Johanna. Probably costly but we live over four hours away and didn't want to take two cars.
kirbox87
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Eremophila » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 8:49 pm

This link gives the name of a couple of transfer operators: http://www.greatoceanwalk.info/transpor ... -the-walk/

The V-Line coach also does pickups at 12 Apostles.
Eremophila
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Return to Victoria