Olinda Creek Walking Track

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Olinda Creek Walking Track

Postby JohnStrider » Mon 21 Nov, 2016 9:12 pm

I took a small group of hikers out in the sweltering conditions and walked the Olinda Creek Walking Track from the Silvan Overflow Car Park to the Mount Evelyn Recreation Reserve. For those of you unfamiliar with the area, it is located in the outer eastern region of Melbourne.

The track is roughly 9.8kms and is a fairly easy track. There are a couple of small hills, as well as a fairly steep hill right before you come to the recreation reserve. You hike mainly through wide open spaces except for a 600m section at the start/end where you walking through a forest area near the Silvan Water Treatment Planet.

It's not an overly challenging hike and is suitable for beginner hikers or hikers who are looking for an easy/quick hike to fill a part of their day. Plus, it's in a really nice part of the world.

You can read a bit more about it here: http://www.thehikingsociety.com.au/2016/11/21/olinda-creek-walking-track-return/

And, as always, here are some pics to give you an idea of what it was like.

Enjoy! :D

JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Olinda Creek Walking Track

Postby MickyB » Wed 23 Nov, 2016 8:45 pm

Good stuff JohnStrider. I am yet to do that track but have a couple of mates who complete it a few times each year.

Is it 9.8kms for a return walk? I thought the track was only 4 or 5kms long.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby JohnStrider » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 3:56 pm

MickyB wrote:Good stuff JohnStrider. I am yet to do that track but have a couple of mates who complete it a few times each year.

Is it 9.8kms for a return walk? I thought the track was only 4 or 5kms long.

Hey MickyB,

Apologies should have mentioned in the post above that it was a return hike. So yes, it's about 4.4km there and the same coming back :D

It's a nice and easy track to do with very few obstacles. Plus, it's in a really nice area.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Fri 25 Nov, 2016 4:22 pm

Agree that it's a very nice area and not too far from home so I will check it out in the near future. Thanks for your report.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby JohnStrider » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 9:16 pm

MickyB wrote:Agree that it's a very nice area and not too far from home so I will check it out in the near future. Thanks for your report.

You're most welcome :D
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria