Desktop version
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.

Forum rules

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.
Post a reply

Bogong Creek Saddle

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Guys

In planning mode for doing a club walk and visiting huts in the Bogong Plains area. Looking at likely tent spots and Bogong Creek Saddle, just off Timms Track, looks a possible site. Can anyone here give me an opinion on this location for up to 8 tents. I know this is a Heli Pad. If not any other sugestions for somewhere between Ropers Hut and Mt Bogong.

Cheers

Re: Bogong Creek Saddle

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 10:51 am

jjoz58 wrote:Hi Guys

In planning mode for doing a club walk and visiting huts in the Bogong Plains area. Looking at likely tent spots and Bogong Creek Saddle, just off Timms Track, looks a possible site. Can anyone here give me an opinion on this location for up to 8 tents. I know this is a Heli Pad. If not any other sugestions for somewhere between Ropers Hut and Mt Bogong.

Cheers

You would probably be best to camp on the Big River just before the crossing with that number of tents. The saddle is small and the helipad is a bit further on and exposed. Not as nice either and you would have to walk down to the saddle for water. The saddle would fit 4 tents tops (at a squeeze) before the ground became too sloping but as it is a management road you need to be either side of it.

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 11:21 am

Also consider if you have time a visit to Cairn Creek Hut. Seldom seen and not too far off track.

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 1:52 pm

Xplora wrote:Also consider if you have time a visit to Cairn Creek Hut. Seldom seen and not too far off track.

This, besides the fact I have done Roper to Clive Cole 3 times via the AAWT, is the reason I was planning to go that way for a change as well as the fact we are hut bagging.

Another question, anyone gone down the Duane Spur to Big River and followed Big River up to Cairn Creek Hut, that could be interesting. Looks doable on Google Earth and could add some interest. I guess I'm just tired of doing the same walks.

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 6:17 am

jjoz58 wrote:This, besides the fact I have done Roper to Clive Cole 3 times via the AAWT, is the reason I was planning to go that way for a change as well as the fact we are hut bagging.

Another question, anyone gone down the Duane Spur to Big River and followed Big River up to Cairn Creek Hut, that could be interesting. Looks doable on Google Earth and could add some interest. I guess I'm just tired of doing the same walks.

In low water during summer it is doable up Big River. Water temps in late January are OK for extended periods. You have to walk up the river as there is no access to the bank. You should also consider Spione Kopje and the Grey Hills. Much nicer than Timms Spur which is management vehicle track with bad views. A few trees down I believe over the lower section but good views of the falls which start Big River. Granny spur from Cairn Creek is a challenge. A bit overgrown but it takes you to Cleve Cole almost. I would not consider it with a large group though.

Fri 03 Feb, 2017 11:16 pm

The walk from Roper's hut to Cleve Cole hut via Duane spur and The T spur is a long day and it requires stamina . If the weather is wet then it will be a chore.We did it in March 2016 and it was warm and humid closer to Big River. That sapped the energy out of us. In fact we ran out of water before we reached the creek at the top of the T spur where it meets the AAWT pole line.
I was walking past the Spion Kopje / Grey Hills track junction in Jan.'17 . I will walk the Grey Hills down to the Helipad in Jan. 2018. I will start the day at Roper's hut. Recent reports say that the Grey Hills, Mt . Arthur and the first third of the Quartz Ridge ascent of Mt Bogong is overgrown and a bit of a mess with fallen timber etc.
This will make it slower going so start early during daylight savings time.
Post a reply