Hut Bagging in the Bogong High Plains Area

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hut Bagging in the Bogong High Plains Area

Postby jjoz58 » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 2:38 pm

I'm planning a trip for the end of next year for a club walk. I've done the AAWT 2 and a bit times so wanted something different. Planning on a couple of circuits without too much doubling up but there are some areas where local/previous knowledge is needed or I could just wing it (haha).

I'm going along the AAWT, from Mt Hotham, as far as Ropers Hut. Then I want to get to Cleve Cole Hut but was going to go via the Timms Spur trail, bagging Cairn Creek Hut and over Mt Bogong.

Question 1- anyone gone done the Duane Spur to Big River and followed the river up to the Cairn Creek Hut? This could be something different.

Question 2 - What's the camping like at the Cairn Creek Hut for up to 8 tents?

Then I will continue along the AAWT from Cleve Cole to Mt Wills. From MT Wills I'm leaving the AAWT and heading down to where the 107 track joins the Paton Track. The obvious way would be to backtrack 5kms and go down the Kangaroo Creek Track but on Google Earth I notice that there are a couple of tracks that appear to run south, down the big spur lines, off the AAWT south of Mt Wills where the AAWT turns East before hitting the Omeo Hwy. This would allow me to put in a food cache near the Omeo Hwy.

Question 3 - anyone have any info on these tracks, not marked anywhere?

Question 4 - Is Paton track open to 4x4's, as I will need to get a cache in somewhere if I opt for the route down Kangaroo Creek Track? I know I can always walk them in.

From Youngs Hut I plan to walk to the the Brandy Creek firetrail and then follow it up to the main road and along to Dinner Plains, visiting JB Hut on the way.

Question 5 - Is the Brandy Mine worth a visit?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by jjoz58 on Sat 26 Nov, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Hut Bagging in the Bogong High Plains Area

Postby neilmny » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 4:20 pm

Can't answer your question JJ but hope you don't mind me saying it's Cleve Cole not Clive.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby jjoz58 » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 4:50 pm

No problem I don't know where that came from, changed.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Thewaz » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 8:30 pm

Hiked Duane Spur and crossed big river a week ago. (19 Nov).
Duane was a nightmare with all the fallen trees, allow time.
Walking up big river against the current to Cairn Creek Hut, I have never done it but would say no way. I guess could walk in the river all the way up but that would be really hard going and not enjoyable at all.
We also went down to big river from from our camp at bottom of Quartz ridge last weekend, I couldnt imaging trying to walk along the river.
Maybe someone has done it, not sure.
I have read that CC Hut sleeps only a few tents.
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Thewaz » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 9:17 pm

BR.jpg
Big River looking west from Duane Spur 19/11/2016
Thewaz
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Xplora » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 7:04 am

jjoz58 wrote:
Question 1- anyone gone done the Duane Spur to Big River and followed the river up to the Cairn Creek Hut? This could be something different.

As mentioned in the other post it can be done late summer when the water level is low and a bit warmer.

jjoz58 wrote:Question 2 - What's the camping like at the Cairn Creek Hut for up to 8 tents?

No. Very little room for one or two.

jjoz58 wrote:Then I will continue along the AAWT from Cleve Cole to Mt Wills. From MT Wills I'm leaving the AAWT and heading down to where the 107 track joins the Paton Track. The obvious way would be to backtrack 5kms and go down the Kangaroo Creek Track but on Google Earth I notice that there are a couple of tracks that appear to run south, down the big spur lines, off the AAWT south of Mt Wills where the AAWT turns East before hitting the Omeo Hwy. This would allow me to put in a food cache near the Omeo Hwy.

Some big problems with this. The tracks you see are old logging tracks and are very much overgrown. There is an old track that takes you down to Glen Wills but it is not easy to find and much overgrown. Better to back track to Kangaroo Creek track and then you can cross Big River at Pender's Flat campsite. I have flagged an old track (which is used by Mittagundi as well) which takes you to 107 just before the climb up. There is an obvious wide crossing but just down stream, where the old flying fox was, is where we cross and you should see the faded pink tape once up the bank. If you cross at the wide crossing then scrub bash left along the bank until you find the track which has been cleared.

jjoz58 wrote:Question 4 - Is Paton track open to 4x4's, as I will need to get a cache in somewhere if I opt for the route down Kangaroo Creek Track? I know I can always walk them in.

Forget about Paton track. That is just google earth taking old information. Kangaroo Creek Track to Penders flat from the Omeo Highway is easy in any SUV with careful driving and wheel placement. Just keep to any right fork of the track as the first 2 left tracks of it take you way from Pender's.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby jjoz58 » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 7:50 am

Xplora wrote:Forget about Paton track. That is just google earth taking old information. Kangaroo Creek Track to Penders flat from the Omeo Highway is easy in any SUV with careful driving and wheel placement. Just keep to any right fork of the track as the first 2 left tracks of it take you way from Pender's.

I can't find a location for Pender's Flat campsite. Do you have a grid ref?
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 5:27 pm

36°51'12.64"S
147°26'58.04"E
Easy to find. Use the cursor on google earth to get the position. Obvious track off Kangaroo creek track to the river and then a big camp area.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby tastrax » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 6:08 pm

just add that grid ref into the search box and GE will find it for you - 36°51'12.64"S 147°26'58.04"E
Cheers - Phil

OSM Mapper
tastrax
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: RETIRED! - Parks and Wildlife Service
Region: Tasmania

Postby jjoz58 » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 6:20 pm

Xplora wrote:36°51'12.64"S
147°26'58.04"E
Easy to find. Use the cursor on google earth to get the position. Obvious track off Kangaroo creek track to the river and then a big camp area.

Thanks for that, got that marked now as well as directions to the connecting track to the 107.
JJ
jjoz58
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria