Lake Mountain to Keppels Hut?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Lake Mountain to Keppels Hut?

Postby JohnStrider » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi guys,

I'm hopefully looking to do this track next weekend but can't seem to find enough information on it. Does anyone on here know that particular area fairly well?

I'd be grateful for any info.

Cheers

JS
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Lake Mountain to Keppels Hut?

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 10:52 pm

I did it with a friend up and back in Jan. 2016. It was a top day out. We left the car at the junction with Lady Talbot drive and walked up to the hut and then up to the Boundary hut ruins on LM. The track up from Keppels hut to LM has been cut and tagged with orange arrows. Keppels hut is not a bad camp site either.It has a capacity of 4 berths for hut sleepers. There is a small stream along the LM track , just a short way off the road and a dunny across the road.
The road from Marysville became very rough once we left the start of Lady Talbot drive and started climbing up.My wee 2 WD was not really meant to be on that sort of a road. If it rained we would have been in doggie do.
In Green season many people take 4 WD vehicles up there. White season is my next challenge for Keppells hut.
I took a LM area topographical map and compass just in case.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby JohnStrider » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 4:43 pm

paidal_chalne_vala wrote:I did it with a friend up and back in Jan. 2016. It was a top day out. We left the car at the junction with Lady Talbot drive and walked up to the hut and then up to the Boundary hut ruins on LM. The track up from Keppels hut to LM has been cut and tagged with orange arrows. Keppels hut is not a bad camp site either.It has a capacity of 4 berths for hut sleepers. There is a small stream along the LM track , just a short way off the road and a dunny across the road.
The road from Marysville became very rough once we left the start of Lady Talbot drive and started climbing up.My wee 2 WD was not really meant to be on that sort of a road. If it rained we would have been in doggie do.
In Green season many people take 4 WD vehicles up there. White season is my next challenge for Keppells hut.
I took a LM area topographical map and compass just in case.

Yeah I've also done the track from that junction to the hut where we stayed overnight. Absolutely loved it and the stream out the back is so nice.

No info from Lm to KH though?
Last edited by JohnStrider on Sun 27 Nov, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby neilmny » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 5:09 pm

Might be something in this John. Earwig (Folly in the outdoors) is a member here. http://ian-folly.blogspot.com.au/2016/0 ... adios.html

If I recall correctly. Take Royston Gap Rd. from Lake Mountain carpark. Then the East Boundary ski trail from the Triangle. Keppels Hut walking tack is off East Boundary ski trail on the Panorama XC Ski Loop. If you use OSM maps it's all there. Track starts approx 55 H 400607 5852276 on the Panorama Loop.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JohnStrider » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 6:32 pm

neilmny wrote:Might be something in this John. Earwig (Folly in the outdoors) is a member here. http://ian-folly.blogspot.com.au/2016/0 ... adios.html

If I recall correctly. Take Royston Gap Rd. from Lake Mountain carpark. Then the East Boundary ski trail from the Triangle. Keppels Hut walking tack is off East Boundary ski trail on the Panorama XC Ski Loop. If you use OSM maps it's all there. Track starts approx 55 H 400607 5852276 on the Panorama Loop.

Brilliant. Thanks for that, Neil :D
JohnStrider
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:21 pm

To get to the start of the Keppels hut trail from LM you need to head for the Boundary hut ruins loop.That isn't that far from the Panorama lookout. The track junction is well signposted and warns hikers to beware.It says The Keppels hut track is a remote track and you need to be prepared etc. etc.The usual stuff.I have walked past it in snow shoes a few times before in winters gone by . I went from K.H. to Boundary Hut ruins and back easily in a day in Green season.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Postby Earwig » Thu 01 Dec, 2016 11:11 am

My route was Echo Flat Trail - Helicopter Flat - The Camp - Panarama Trail - Hut Trail - Keppel Hut Track. I returned via Royston Road for a change in scenery. The ski trails are all well marked and the walking track is easy to follow.
Live life moving around so when you're dead people can tell the difference.
MY HIKING BLOG http://ian-folly.blogspot.com/
Earwig
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Victoria