Deer Control Bogong High Plains - Fainters area

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Deer Control Bogong High Plains - Fainters area

Postby Xplora » Tue 29 Nov, 2016 3:41 pm

Professional shooters have been engaged for deer control in the area indicated on the attached map. A control will take place from 9-17 December in the evening and night to midnight. I suspect suppressors will be used so no snots will be heard but an ATV will be used for access along the Fainter Fire Trail. Be aware if you are in the area. The park will not be closed but there will be signs and maybe some restricted area. The ADA and Sporting shooters will be working a different area on 16-17 Dec. Mostly the western side of Big River fire trail to the Omeo Highway.

Contractor deer control map.jpg
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Deer Control Bogong High Plains - Fainters area

Postby sambar358 » Tue 29 Nov, 2016 6:45 pm

It'll be interesting to see how the pro-shooters go compared to the volunteers.......but if they are spotlighting from a vehicle mostly rather than daytime bush hunting it's probably a method that they have employed before and they should get a few.

Contrary to the popular myth suppressors or sound moderators do not reduce the sound of a shot to nothing like you see on TV and the movies. There is still quite a bang to it when using high velocity center-fire ammunition but certainly less than without the device attached. Humane animal destruction requirements will still mandate the use of a suitable caliber high powered rifle with full power ammunition and anyone in the vicinity of the report of a suppressed high powered rifle will certainly hear the shot........but just not as loud as from one that is not wearing a suppressor. Cheers

s358
sambar358
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 30 Nov, 2016 5:18 am

Sambar - you will note I said suppressors and not silencers. You are correct of course. The pro shooter will most likely be using night vision as well. The ATV will only be used for access in and out along the trail. The non-pro group are also working at night but in a different area and only for the weekend 16/12. They have one night vision equipped rifle I believe. I have been informed that all of this program is research. I think they will compare results and costs at the end of the trial and I will be sent a copy of the report. For any significant impact on the environment they would need to account for more than the average birth rate (with mortality rate included). A long way to go to reach that number.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 03 Dec, 2016 6:40 pm

If Parks Vic. are short of a quid then they should get serious and open venison kebab restaurants in Mt. Beauty, Bright, Omeo, Mansfield and Myrtleford!!
They have an endless supply of kebab just running around out there now.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria