multi-day canoe trips?

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

multi-day canoe trips?

Postby Drew » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 11:24 am

My partner and I are a bit of a loss for what to do over New Years this year. We had quite a few years at the Prom in a row, which is always lovely but got a tad repetitive. Last year we went up to the Snowy Mountains which was beautiful but the ants and march flies were out of control - you couldn't stand or sit still for a moment without the ants swarming up your legs! I'll be in trouble if there's a repeat of that situation.

We were looking at the Wilderness Coast walk but it's pretty much booked out now, and the epic drive, transports, taxi boats etc are a big turn off.

So, we're thinking of a canoe trip. We did the Glenelg River a few years ago. Wondering now about something on the upper Murray. Does anyone know of somewhere you can hire a canoe, paddle along the river for a few days, camping in campsites that aren't overrun by bogans (they'd have to be campsite that aren't vehicle accessible I guess)?

Alternatively, if the forecast isn't too hot, we could just head up to the Bogong High Plains for a few days. I've never been up there at that time of year - are the ants and march flies as bad as in the Snowys?

Thanks
Drew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: multi-day canoe trips?

Postby north-north-west » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 11:51 am

Drew wrote:Alternatively, if the forecast isn't too hot, we could just head up to the Bogong High Plains for a few days. I've never been up there at that time of year - are the ants and march flies as bad as in the Snowys? Thanks

I've never had issues with ants on the BHP, but in some areas the horseflies are every bit as bad as the worst bits of KNP. First time I did the Bogong circuit I was jogging along the section of SK track between Crows Nest junction and Warbys Corner in the evening to try to discourage the buggers. Didn't work. Quickest I've ever set up a tent once I finally found a spot to pitch.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby peregrinator » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 12:47 pm

Like nnw, I've not experienced an ant problem. The flies though were utterly horrible until I bought a head net to wack on top of my hat. Pretty inexpensive solution.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Drew » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 8:45 am

Hmm, okay. Flies sound pretty nasty but no ants is good - they bothered me more than the flies in KNP.

I've written to a couple of canoe hire companies in the upper Murray area but no replies yet. I don't like the chances of peace and quiet on the river at that time of year. Probably lots of waterskiing, loud music and booze...

Thanks for the replies.
Drew

Postby andrewa » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 10:40 am

The Upper Murray below Brigenbrong is going to be running pretty high, as theyre letting plenty of water out of Khancoban Pondage down the Swampy Plains R at the moment, so it might not be "peaceful" canoeing if that's the area you mean.

What about Mallacoota or the Gippsland Lakes?

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby overlandnoob » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 10:44 am

Good multi day trips on the Goulburn out of Eildon too.
overlandnoob
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby andrewa » Tue 06 Dec, 2016 7:30 pm

Don't post that idea on the Flylife forum!

Years ago I asked about DIY float trips down the G, and when I went to book one with the GVFFC later that year, I was told that they would not take me coz I'd posted something about floating the Goulburn on the forum, and they didn't want others doing it, so they refused to take me (yeah - weird thought process, and it's not their river, I know). I subsequently was banned from the flylife forum for 2 months for making derogatory comments about the GVFFC ( my kids thought this was hilarious).

It'd be a good trip though. The Goulburn is reasonably low at the moment (fished there last Friday). The problem would be sorting out put in and pull out points, as I reckon you'd float a long way over a few days.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Xplora » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 5:58 am

Small black ants are a problem on BHP. Some years are worse than others but the last couple have been bad but not everywhere. There are some around this year but not thick. Those huge flies that hurt and bite through your clothes will be around at bit later in summer. Yesterday I called into Langford west camp to catch up with friends and the small flies were an issue but no ants. We stayed there a couple of hours and once it cooled off the flies left. It is a horse camp area though. Insect repellent on your boots. There is a natural product you can buy for flies. It is used as a cream for horses but comes in a roll on for people. Most horse supply shoes have it. Can't think of the name but it comes in a white tube or tub. Works well but you have to keep applying it. Smells OK as well. Thinking it may be tea tree and cedarwood.
Xplora
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby neilmny » Wed 07 Dec, 2016 10:23 am

andrewa wrote:Don't post that idea on the Flylife forum!

Years ago I asked about DIY float trips down the G, and when I went to book one with the GVFFC later that year, I was told that they would not take me coz I'd posted something about floating the Goulburn on the forum, and they didn't want others doing it, so they refused to take me (yeah - weird thought process, and it's not their river, I know). I subsequently was banned from the flylife forum for 2 months for making derogatory comments about the GVFFC ( my kids thought this was hilarious).

It'd be a good trip though. The Goulburn is reasonably low at the moment (fished there last Friday). The problem would be sorting out put in and pull out points, as I reckon you'd float a long way over a few days.

A

I know of what you write Andrew. Not float trips but of fly fishing the local rivers.
They have a bent and entitled mentality about the whole neighborhood and often (constantly??) grizzle about the amount of non client anglers that come into the area and refer to those anglers in derogatory terms.
Where do they think the clients come from in the first place. :evil:
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Outbeck » Sun 11 Dec, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi,
I'm looking at more multi-day kayak options myself. I've been down the Glenelg a few times and love it.
The Coorong might be an option if not too far as well.
There's also a good Kayak hire place in Yarrawonga...something like Action Bikes and Kayaks.
I'd love to hear more about the Goulburn if anyones been down that - where to start and finish and if you need fly fishermen repellent.
Good luck
Outbeck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Drew » Tue 13 Dec, 2016 11:15 am

I had a chat to someone from Upper Murray Resort near Walwa. They do canoe trips but looking on Google satellite it looks pretty dull - all farmland. I'm now thinking that Barmah Forest NP could be a good option.
Drew

Postby overlandnoob » Fri 16 Dec, 2016 7:27 pm

Outbeck wrote:Hi,
I'm looking at more multi-day kayak options myself. I've been down the Glenelg a few times and love it.
The Coorong might be an option if not too far as well.
There's also a good Kayak hire place in Yarrawonga...something like Action Bikes and Kayaks.
I'd love to hear more about the Goulburn if anyones been down that - where to start and finish and if you need fly fishermen repellent.
Good luck

For the goulburn - you can start at the dam on Eildon if you want but there are a few rapids before you get to Alexandra. From there you can travel through to Seymour (plenty of access points around these sections) and presumably all the way to the Murray near Echuca.
overlandnoob
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sim1oz » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 1:00 am

I paddled the Goulburn from Alexandra to Trawool using a packraft in October. It is a nice 2-4 day trip depending on how long you paddle each day. Think it was about 80km. The water got pretty shallow in places but we managed without a single portage. We found some lovely campsites along the way, and there were lots of beaches to stop at for a rest or chance to stretch and eat. Lots of fallen trees and snags to watch out for, but that just added to the fun.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Outbeck » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 6:35 am

sim1oz wrote:I paddled the Goulburn from Alexandra to Trawool using a packraft in October. It is a nice 2-4 day trip depending on how long you paddle each day. Think it was about 80km. The water got pretty shallow in places but we managed without a single portage. We found some lovely campsites along the way, and there were lots of beaches to stop at for a rest or chance to stretch and eat. Lots of fallen trees and snags to watch out for, but that just added to the fun.

Thanks o'noob and sim1oz. That sounds like the start of a plan.
How did your pack raft handle the rapids sim1oz and, if you don't mind me asking, what time of year was it?
Outbeck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Drew » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 9:04 am

We ended up doing 3 days on the Murray from Picnic Point to Echuca, passing through Barmah Lakes NP. Not something I'd do again at the busiest time of year (possibly not at all)! There were some nice sections, lots of birds, some peace and quiet. But also way too many boats, bogans, caravan parks, big car camping setups in the bush and water skiers. On the other hand, we got in a spot of bother in The Narrows and almost sunk our canoe and were rescued by aforementioned boaties! Thanks very very much to those kind people.

I prefer bushwalking! Although cold beers from the esky were pretty good...
Drew

Postby MickyB » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 9:15 am

Outbeck wrote:
sim1oz wrote:I paddled the Goulburn from Alexandra to Trawool using a packraft in October. It is a nice 2-4 day trip depending on how long you paddle each day. Think it was about 80km. The water got pretty shallow in places but we managed without a single portage. We found some lovely campsites along the way, and there were lots of beaches to stop at for a rest or chance to stretch and eat. Lots of fallen trees and snags to watch out for, but that just added to the fun.

Thanks o'noob and sim1oz. That sounds like the start of a plan.
How did your pack raft handle the rapids sim1oz and, if you don't mind me asking, what time of year was it?

Can't answer your first question Outbeck but sim1oz mentioned the time of year.

sim1oz wrote:I paddled the Goulburn from Alexandra to Trawool using a packraft in October.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Outbeck » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 10:10 am

Can't answer your first question Outbeck but sim1oz mentioned the time of year.

sim1oz wrote:I paddled the Goulburn from Alexandra to Trawool using a packraft in October.
[/quote]

Missed that one ha - thanks!
Just trying to get an idea of the best time of year with river levels.
It looks like start at Alexandra to avoid rapids.
Cheers
Outbeck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby walkon » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 11:47 am

Lake Tyres is another good paddle in a canoe. Three days at a cruisie pace. In at Toorloo Arm & out at Nowa Nowa. Lots of spots to camp along the way and boat traffic isnt bad.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon

Postby Outbeck » Mon 09 Jan, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanking you Walkon.
Another one for the to do list
Outbeck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby overlandnoob » Sun 22 Jan, 2017 5:21 pm

Outbeck wrote:Can't answer your first question Outbeck but sim1oz mentioned the time of year.

Missed that one ha - thanks!
Just trying to get an idea of the best time of year with river levels.
It looks like start at Alexandra to avoid rapids.
Cheers[/quote]
This is the rapid above Alexandra - nothing major but may or may not look like fun depending on the type of boat you're in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeIDcz34zH0
overlandnoob
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby lseries92 » Sun 22 Jan, 2017 9:48 pm

[quote="Drew"]I had a chat to someone from Upper Murray Resort near Walwa. They do canoe trips but looking on Google satellite it looks pretty dull - all farmland.

In case you are interested in doing it in the future, I did it in January 2016 in a kayak. It is mostly farmland but there are still some interesting spots - there are some nice camping spots and I enjoyed going through some of the small towns (Jingellic, Tintaldra and I walked into Walwa too and visited the historic racecourse at Towong). There were lots of people before Australia day but it was very quiet afterward. Up that far people are fishing and camping - I did not see a jetski/ski boat until I reached Lake Hume proper (around Granya I believe).

The hydro causes a wide variance in river levels (beyond the influence of rainfall). I started with a level of 1.5m at the gauge at Bringenbrong Bridge which was a nice current and plenty of water only for it to drop to 0.9m on the second day (meaning heaps of low water / gravel races) only for it to increase to 2m on the third day. There are some small sections with rapids but the main safety issue are those sharp bends that have willows on them. Low water does mean a fair few gravel races too. This means if you every thought of going, it may be difficult to predict the river levels.

I used notes produced by Peter Phillips who has done the entire Murray (and more) in sections. He did specific notes for the upper section which were pretty accurate but who knows now after all the flooding late last year.

http://echuca-murraymouthkayakjourney.b ... ellic.html

He has done a lot of other trips in the kayak too which may give you some ideas for places to canoe in the future.
lseries92
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby Explorer_Sam » Tue 31 Jan, 2017 7:26 pm

As part of my outdoor education course, we did a canoe trip along the Barwon. Because it was flooded when we planned to go (mid-September), we changed our itinerary and spent a couple of days paddling around on Lake Connewarre. Not the ideal multi-day canoe trip (it's quite short), but the Barwon was fun and Lake Connewarre is certainly a beautiful place to spend some time paddling. I did some nature writing upon returning home. Please take a few minutes to check it out here: https://sambochristie.wordpress.com/201 ... kes-moods/
My Blog- Adventure and Nature Writing- www.sambochristie.wordpress.com
Explorer_Sam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Outbeck » Thu 02 Feb, 2017 7:21 am

Explorer_Sam wrote:As part of my outdoor education course, we did a canoe trip along the Barwon. Because it was flooded when we planned to go (mid-September), we changed our itinerary and spent a couple of days paddling around on Lake Connewarre. Not the ideal multi-day canoe trip (it's quite short), but the Barwon was fun and Lake Connewarre is certainly a beautiful place to spend some time paddling. I did some nature writing upon returning home. Please take a few minutes to check it out here: https://sambochristie.wordpress.com/201 ... kes-moods/

Thanks for the info and the read Sam! It sounds like you were up against it on Connewarre!
Where did you camp there? I had a look at a map of the lake and couldn't find an obvoius camp site.
Also, if you had paddled along the Barwon (if not for the flooding) what was your likely route and trip length?
Thanks again!

I'm heading for paddle on Rocklands in ten days. Looking forward to it.
Outbeck
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby sim1oz » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 8:30 pm

@MickyB

When? I was there late October. There is usually higher water on the Goulburn in summer when the water is released for agricultural irrigation, but we managed to do the whole trip from Alexandra to Trawool without getting out of our packrafts. I suspect a long canoe or kayak would have required people to get out and tow or portage over the very shallow bits. Since packrafts sit on top of the water, it is not such an issue.

Whitewater? Packrafts are sweet in whitewater. If you want to give it a try, there is a beginner whitewater training course being run in Tassie in a few weeks time: http://tas.canoe.org.au/whitewater-packrafting/. There will be intermediate and advanced courses in Spring

We are going for a sunset paddle on the Yarra in the city next Monday, so if anyone wants to have a peek at some different packrafts, PM me.
Carpe diem!
sim1oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby MickyB » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 8:51 pm

sim1oz wrote:@MickyB

When? I was there late October. There is usually higher water on the Goulburn in summer when the water is released for agricultural irrigation, but we managed to do the whole trip from Alexandra to Trawool without getting out of our packrafts. I suspect a long canoe or kayak would have required people to get out and tow or portage over the very shallow bits. Since packrafts sit on top of the water, it is not such an issue.

Whitewater? Packrafts are sweet in whitewater. If you want to give it a try, there is a beginner whitewater training course being run in Tassie in a few weeks time: http://tas.canoe.org.au/whitewater-packrafting/. There will be intermediate and advanced courses in Spring

We are going for a sunset paddle on the Yarra in the city next Monday, so if anyone wants to have a peek at some different packrafts, PM me.

???

@ lseries92 perhaps?
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby andrewa » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 8:53 pm

MickyB, I'm having trouble understanding your reply....

Have I missed something?

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MickyB » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 8:57 pm

andrewa wrote:MickyB, I'm having trouble understanding your reply....

Have I missed something?

A

I'm not sure why sim1oz was asking me. Thought she may have meant lseries92.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby andrewa » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 9:25 pm

Ahhhh. Now I understand completely ( not!). Life will move on....

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby andrewa » Wed 08 Feb, 2017 9:28 pm

But beyond this, if anyone is thinking of paddling the Goulburn from Thornton to Alex,or the Swampy Plains from Khancoban pondage to Brigenbrong, I fish these areas regularly, and there is plenty of info about river levels if you need it. The Swampy varies considerably.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Victoria