Great Ocean Walk Camping

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Great Ocean Walk Camping

Postby CrunkAussie » Sat 17 Dec, 2016 6:41 pm

Hey guys,

Am just trying to find some guidance on the flexibility in camping on the great ocean walk. I see the campsites that must be reserved but am curious if it is possible to camp along the way (while minding the natural habitat) just wherever. I am not sure how far I will get exactly each day so if I reserve the campsites and afraid I will not get there.

Cheers,
Crunk
CrunkAussie
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Re: Great Ocean Walk Camping

Postby neilmny » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 11:27 am

From Parks Vic info - "Bush camping is not permitted in the Great Otway National. Park."
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Wim » Mon 26 Dec, 2016 4:29 pm

If you know yourself you should be able to gauge the distance you can walk in a day. Johanna to Ryans Den goes up and down all the time as does the first half of Ryans to Devils.
The rest is relatively flat.
How much time do you have? Do you want to go fast or enjoy?
Wim
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby BushwalkerTony » Thu 05 Jan, 2017 4:35 pm

I've done the walk and you can camp anywhere you see fit as there's no one really to tell you that you can't. So if you find that you can't make it to the camp site, then feel free to pitch a tent as I would consider this to be an emergency (desperate) situation and who's gonna force you to make it to the campsite if you physically can't make it there.

If this is something to by, I walked with a 20kg pack from Blanket Bay to Johanna beach in a day (arrived at sunset). The distance between each campsite is not far and the walk is relatively easy so I say if you're a reasonably fit person, you shouldn't have any issues walking at least 10km a day.
BushwalkerTony
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Victoria