Wilson's Prom. - Southern Tracks

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Wilson's Prom. - Southern Tracks

Postby Looney99 » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 11:27 am

Hi,

So I am in Scouting and for an award I need to plan a hike in an unfamiliar area. I have a few questions about the area and I have a proposed route.

I plan to start at Telegraph Saddle Carpark, hike down to the light station via Telegraph Junction, Halfway Hut and Roaring Meg, then hike back up to Roaring Meg where we will camp the night. Roughly 24km. Then next day there will be a possible walk to Sandy Point and back to Roaring Meg, then hiking up to Telegraph Junction, to Oberon Bay, then to Tidal River finishing at the carpark there. Again roughly 24km.

1. Has anyone done a route similar to this or part of this and will it take 8 hours or less? Is it possible to complete with reasonable level of fitness?

2. What are the track like? Are they dirt and rocks or more sandy?

3. What is the gradient of the hike like? Is it moderately flat or are there steep hill parts or downhill parts?

4. Are there any specific first aid and other considerations that need to be considered and planned for?

Thankyou in advance,

Looney99
Wanderlust
Looney99
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Wilson's Prom. - Southern Tracks

Postby scoha » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 1:23 pm

Looney99,

24km is a pretty big day but if you are a small party and not carrying too much should be OK.

The Lighthouse is great - you could also consider South Point as an alternative from Roaring Meg - southern most point of the Australian mainland so a bit special, and I think a little shorter if you were running out of steam. 8 hoiurs would be more than adequate.

Track to Halfway Hut is a closed road so easy work. Then its well prepared and maintained single footpad.

Not really any sustained hills on this part of the Prom but lots of little ups and downs to make it interesting.

Suggest this time of year you need to be aware of snakes and carry appropriate first aid - linear compression bandages etc. Also sun protection and hydration are key.

Enjoy the hike
scoha
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Looney99 » Sun 18 Dec, 2016 3:48 pm

Thankyou Scoha,

For the badge I need to do between 6 and 8 hours of hiking each day, so it does have to be a pretty big day. We will be going around April, but the whole party will be carrying first aid kits with all necessary items.
Wanderlust
Looney99
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby jdeks » Mon 19 Dec, 2016 10:43 am

I hike down there a fair bit and actually just got back from one. We did Tidal river, Oberon bay, Halfway Hut, OLD telegraph walking track to the lighthouse, then back up to Waterloo bay, across to the junction and back up Oberon to Tidal.

Telegraph track is the most batshit boring walk on the Prom. 12-odd kilometers of marching through boring scrub down a gravel driveway. But easy. If you had an extra day, I'd advise walking out and back though Tidal/Oberon. But you dont. Bummer. At least take the old walking track to Roaring meg that follows the actual telegraph line over the high plains. It's a small sign turning right off the road, once you get over the hill south of Halfway Hut.

The lighthouse is not just a quick trip from roaring meg. The shorter walking track is still a solid 5k hike, with a bit of up and down (unless you just keep slogging down telegraph road, which actually adds a km) and the monster hill to get to the lighthouse proper. Get to roaring meg by mid morning if at all possible. Lighthouse and back from roaring meg is a full afternoon with April sun, assuming you don't dally at the lighthouse...

...which would be a total waste. It's arguably the best spot on the Prom. The views are amazing, you can swim at the old boat loading cove, the wombats are basically tame and will eat under your table as you sit there, and the lighthouse tour is legit interesting. I assume you're not allowed to stay the night there in the cabins? If not, you're gonna want to allow at least an hour or two there to really enjoy it.

I assume by "Sandy Point" you mean South point (Sandy point is miiiiles further north) If so, just be aware, you can't camp at south point, according to the rangers. Of course, there are lots of places you "can't camp" at the prom, but people still do. Just be aware, not an official (legal) camping spot. Also - in my opinion, the views are better at the lghthouse.

All in all, I think you've chosen the best route for a one-nighter. Get going early, get to roaring meg before lunch and save lots of time for the lighthouse :)
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:08 pm

If you have more time you could avoid the very tedious Telegraph track by walking from the Lighthouse to Waterloo Bay. On a sunny day it is very scenic. In bad weather it is nasty!.Once at Waterloo Bay you can camp at Lt. Waterloo Bay, or head for Half way hut or just push on all back to Tidal river. I have walked from The lighthouse cabins to Telegraph saddle by this route on the day of the great flood at the Prom in March 2011.
That was scary and beyond my usual range in terms of comfortable distances in a day on foot.
Hydration is very important. Keep up the fluids. Keep a pump up water filter handy. It means you can top up your water reserves at any trickling gully you find. Beware of LEECHES.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria