Craigs Hut overnight

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Craigs Hut overnight

Postby Channas » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 6:21 pm

Hey guys, I'm planning a something special on Xmas day 25th for my girlfriend and one of my idea was to to hike up to Craigs Hut and stay overnight and had some nice romantic dinner etc. I'm just wondering how busy it could be over the Xmas if anybody local here? Many thanks!
Channas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Craigs Hut overnight

Postby neilmny » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 9:59 pm

Hard to say how busy Xmas day but it's always busy weekends and holidays because you can very easily drive a 4WD to it.Potential yobbo warning! Camping is very limited and not permitted in the hut and picnic areas, only on a small flat off the left side of Clear Hills Track as you arrive at the parking area. As far as I know dispersed camping is allowed away from the hut and pcicnic "zone".
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Craigs Hut overnight

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Tue 20 Dec, 2016 10:55 pm

I went to Craigs Hut as a solo snow shoe day trip in Early July 2016. There was N O B O D Y around the whole way from The Bluff spur hut to Craig's Hut and back .See the trip report on this forum .It was very cold and spooky !.In winter only snow shoers, XC skiers and the Mt. Stirling ski patrol on a snow mobile can access it .
Plenty of Yobbos and less than Urbane bipeds flock to the place in green season in their Tonka toys.It seems to appeal to people who idolize Ned Kelly, Jim Beam and that kind of thing.
I would recommend that you go and camp at a nice and quiet place where you cannot drive in. Do you know MacAlister Springs and the Gantner hut? It is only 6 kms walk from the car park on the Howitt road.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.
Region: Victoria

Return to Victoria