2WD access + walking route - Cobbler Plateau/Howqua valley

Victoria specific bushwalking discussion.
Forum rules
Victoria specific bushwalking discussion. Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

2WD access + walking route - Cobbler Plateau/Howqua valley

Postby leaf » Thu 22 Dec, 2016 8:11 am

Hello,

I’m planning a multiday walk around the Cobbler Plateau/Crosscut Saw/Mt Magdala/Helicopter Spur area. Aiming for a circuit or loops, and would like to avoid a there-and-back route as much as possible.

No route yet, but the above are what I’d like to explore, with Lake Cobbler and Helicopter Spur being of particular interest. I’ve walked the Crosscut before and have done the Viking Circuit. I’m keen on Helicopter Spur because I’ve heard it’s scrambly.

Can anyone advise about access – particularly condition in the Howqua valley (for a 2WD with not much clearance)?
How about the availability of water in the above areas?
Anything worth exploring?

I’m thinking of starting the walk from the Howqua valley, but I don’t know those roads well. Is it possible to get to Upper Howqua Camping Area in a 2WD? If not, are there reasonable places to leave the car in for a few days? I don’t particularly want to drive on bad roads, so I’d be happy to walk extra. Another option might be driving to Refrigerator Gap or The Bluff carpark and walking from there.
Seems like it’s possible to access the Cobbler Plateau from the north as well, though I don’t have a map for that area, and seems like that would make it harder to create a circuit routes.

thank you!
leaf
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: 2WD access + walking route - Cobbler Plateau/Howqua vall

Postby neilmny » Thu 22 Dec, 2016 8:43 am

Circuit Road (clockwise from TBJ) and Bindaree Road to the upper Howqua area were freshly graded when we travelled them at the start of December.
There are river crossings before both Bindaree Hut and on Bluff Link Rd. to the Upper Howqua camping areas.
Might be something to help in Uncle Rumples bushwalk - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20823&p=284185#p284185
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby eggs » Thu 22 Dec, 2016 9:22 am

If you are determined to include Mt Cobbler in your circuit, then it is quite possible to get a vehicle to Lake Cobbler and work a circuit from there.
The road will vary from year to year, but when we went it was doable in a 2WD.
The last rise up to the lake was fairly steep and tested the engine, but the lake outlet was a small navigable pool and we were able to park near the hut.

A circuit from Cobbler would use Muesli Spur and walk the roads in the valleys as well as the tops.
But I would rather repeat some of the high sections between Cobbler and Speculation to at least Buggery rather than try for a bigger loop.

We also easily got into the Upper Howqua in a small 2WD on that trip via Circuit and Bindaree roads, but again - that will vary from year to year.
We came down Helicopter Spur but you may pick up some ideas on my trip report:
http://www.bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19353
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby neilmny » Thu 22 Dec, 2016 10:07 am

eggs wrote:.............The road will vary from year to year, but when we went it was doable in a 2WD........

Get some up to date info from Parks Vic on this as it was a very wet winter with a lot of flooding going on in the North East and it is likely the track and ford are not to good.
From PV website - "There is very rough 2WD access as far as Bennies in dry weather only"

I've read it before and said it before...that is a great report and pictures eggs.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Sat 24 Dec, 2016 9:41 am

:)
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.Mt.Bogong Club.

Return to Victoria